Best octave fuzz for noise

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

GROSS

Best octave fuzz for noise

Post by GROSS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:06 pm

I have Blue Box, but it's very quiet and quietens overall sound. I know there is mod for enhanced sound, but I don't wanna mod it, because I'm novice to soldering and I don't wanna fuck it up.

What should I buy instead? I was thinking about Trike fuzz. Is it better than Blue Box at making pitch-crazed sounds? It has more knobs, so It probably more versatile.

My dream is to get Buzz Box, but with my budget...

I also heard about Catalinbread Perseus, but there is not so much of them in my country, and on ebay they are expensive.

Also, how can you emulate Buzz Box sound? I tried to chain Blue Box with distortion, but it didn't sound very good. Blue Box just quietens everything.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Re: Best octave fuzz for noise

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm a proponent of doing it yourself, and a fuzz is the easiest pedal to make. Click here for a VERY simple fuzz. At the bottom there's a pedal he calls the Buzz Box (It's not the DOD one, look up the Scrambler or Green Ringer).

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:38 pm

These are awesome, I fitted one in my bass permanently :hic:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:35 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm
I'm a proponent of doing it yourself, and a fuzz is the easiest pedal to make. Click here for a VERY simple fuzz. At the bottom there's a pedal he calls the Buzz Box (It's not the DOD one, look up the Scrambler or Green Ringer).
I was thinking about making my own simple octave fuzz, but I couldn't find model crazy enough. "Buzz Box" from your link doesn't sound the way I want (like Catalinbread Perseus and DOD Buzz Box do)

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:46 am

Audible Disease made a very noisy clone of the Buzz Box called the TT-1. It's not cheap but still cheaper than the original.

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:58 am

I also know about M.A.S.F. Kidnapper, which is even more badass than Buzz Box. Unfortunately, there is very little information about the pedal and where I can buy it

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:36 am

Combining effects can go a long way. I don't know how much time Shawn (Sirkut Electronics) has to devote to building small orders these days, but his prices have always been very reasonable. I would even say he under-prices his gear when buying from him directly.

Anyway, The Sirkut Electronics Gnarler (which is quite loud on it's own) + a Grunge or Death Metal is pretty much Buzz Box city. The Gnarler is an interesting effect, by the way. Its sound can vary a lot, depending on how hot the input signal is, and on which cables you're using (my experience being that a high quaility, low resistance cables give more of a sputtering, caustic distortion, while cheap-o cables give the pedal a glitchy, stepped octave "Atari" effect).

You might do just as well combining the Blue Box (which, bear in mind, I have never used myself) with something like a Grunge after it, or even a simple compressor to boost the overall level. Either switch them on simultaneously, or put them together in a bypass loop (which should be very simple to make, if you're interested in getting some experience with soldering/electronic components).

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Just bought Vox Trike fuzz. Now it's my favourite pedal. Forget about Blue boxes and other "boxes". It fucks up sound so bad, you don't need any other pedals. In feedback loops it shines. Its strange that not so many people here know about it.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:26 pm

I have one :cheer:

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 pm

When you say octave, are you meaning UP or DOWN?

I've been having fun with the Stone Splitter prototypes, but they divide down.

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:16 am

crochambeau wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 pm
When you say octave, are you meaning UP or DOWN?

I've been having fun with the Stone Splitter prototypes, but they divide down.

I mean down.

But Vox Trike fuzz can do both ways

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 am

GROSS wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 pm
Just bought Vox Trike fuzz. Now it's my favourite pedal. Forget about Blue boxes and other "boxes". It fucks up sound so bad, you don't need any other pedals. In feedback loops it shines. Its strange that not so many people here know about it.
Recommendation seconded, it's great. Plus I just discovered the other day that my lo-fi drum machine thru it = instant Justice-style dirty french electro :D

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 am

Danelectro Black Liquorice / Black Paisley combine metal distortion and octave down and are amazing (tho a bit one-trick) for noise.

I have 3 of the BL, aiming to get a couple more and one of these pedal cases for the perfect setup :D

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:30 am

[
Last edited by MKULTRA on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:53 am

timdrage wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 am
This is adorable.