Kazumoto Endo sound

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

GROSS

Kazumoto Endo sound

Post by GROSS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm

What should I use to sound like Kazumoto Endo on "While You Were Out"?

Misomusist

Re: Kazumoto Endo sound

Post by Misomusist » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:05 pm

You're gonna need a contact mic, a Boss Ds-1, a kazoo and a tub of vaseline. :eew:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

moch

Post by moch » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 am

Figure out your own style...

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 am

On the first song he uses a contact mic into ring modulator and distortion/fuzz (the more the better). You also gonna need something to silence your sound. A line selector, a volume pedal or a Step Child by Electro Faustus. You're not gonna sound exactly like him but it's close I think.

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:40 am

Moonchild wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 am
On the first song he uses a contact mic into ring modulator and distortion/fuzz (the more the better). You also gonna need something to silence your sound. A line selector, a volume pedal or a Step Child by Electro Faustus. You're not gonna sound exactly like him but it's close I think.
Thanks! That was informative. Didn't know about ring modulation. That's probably what makes his sound so squeaky?

I already have contact mic, couple of distortion pedals. For silencing I use noise gate (especially mute function). Now I need ring modulator, but pedals are expensive. I tried to use ring modulation vst, but still need to figure it out.

I also asked Endo directly via Twitter about his gear setup on the album. It would be interesting if he answers...

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:44 am

moch wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 am
Figure out your own style...
I know, I just wanted to know what are some awesome sounds made of

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:45 am

Misomusist wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:05 pm
You're gonna need a contact mic, a Boss Ds-1, a kazoo and a tub of vaseline. :eew:
Can I replace Boss DS-1 with Digitech Death Metal and Grunge? :)

moch

Post by moch » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:50 am

i use a contact mic and a synthisizer for squaky sounds and you can also get squaky sounds from equalizers. also ive never seen any noise artist use a Boss Ds-1 for distortion its always the DOD Death metal distortion.

Image lol

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:23 am

moch wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:50 am
i use a contact mic and a synthisizer for squaky sounds and you can also get squaky sounds from equalizers. also ive never seen any noise artist use a Boss Ds-1 for distortion its always the DOD Death metal distortion.

Image lol
I have contact mic, mini-synthesizer and eq pedal, but sound still just high-pitched, not realy distorted

Soon I will have DOD Death Metal, Korg Kaoss Pad processor (probably with ring modulation effect), Ibanez DE7 delay and MXR Blue Box octofuzz. I hope it will give me some variety to work with.

I personally not a big fan of noise walls (but I dig some of HNW albums). What I want is quite opposite - discrete noise bursts in silence. Fortunately I have noise gate pedal for that.

Also I've seen a lot of noise setup pictures on this forum with DS-1. You can see couple of them here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16440

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am

I use a DS-1 that I circuit bent a lot. Even as standard it's not a bad pedal for a tonal boost. At any rate, use whatever distortion pedal you have to hand.

I would recommend getting a passive ring mod, then you can plug in your own modulation source.

moch

Post by moch » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:42 am

you should get one of the monotron and a fuzz pedal. also i like your album Errorwhole

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 am

moch wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:42 am
you should get one of the monotron and a fuzz pedal. also i like your album Errorwhole
I already have Monotron Delay. Should I buy the other one, like Monotron Duo? By the way, I have Kaoss Pad, which can be used as synthesizer.

I have Blue Box, octave fuzz. I never thought about buying fuzz pedals, because I don't meet them very often in context of noise.

Thanks for checking out my stuff. I already listened some of your vast discography, which was cool.

moch

Post by moch » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 am

i was just saying because ive seen one of the guys from Incapacitants using the black monotrons and he was making really cool noises, and it makes me want to get one. i also have the monotron delay which the input broke.. also thanks for checking out my stuff.

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 am

If anybody is still interested.

Kazumoto Endo himself answered me. He was using Korg x-911, Electro-Harmonix Frequency Analyzer and Roland AF-100 Bee Baa

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Nice :mrgreen:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.