Blending Sludge and Noise

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

MysteriousCreep

Blending Sludge and Noise

Post by MysteriousCreep » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:55 pm

First time posting here. I'm a young noisician (16 at present) and metalhead. I'm going to be jamming some experimental sludge metal stuff with friends and would like to see any suggestions for what would complement the sound. The metal projects I've seen that incorporate noise are mostly fast and chaotic rather than the doom metal droning of post/sludge metal. Any ideas for sounds that would add to that style?
If you need more details I'll provide them.

crochambeau

Re: Blending Sludge and Noise

Post by crochambeau » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Welcome!

I like this idea.

Anything grainy is universally useful. You can grab an EQ to rid yourself of frequency ranges that step on the rest of your work.

I use an Alesis 3630 a lot in feedback loop stuff. You can feed the sidechain input of the compressor to squish the shit out of a feedback loop from an external signal, so the feedback loop could attenuate/get out of your way when you start in on other stuff. Noise gates can be used in a similar manner.

Of course, recording a noise free pass and then noising it up in a mix-down type scenario also works.

Tons of ways to skin this particular cat.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 pm

It all depends really. This sounds like a cop out, but it's your band, it's up to you to figure out what sounds good with what your band mates are producing. Think about how you want the noise to contrast the other members.

In my doom project, I play guitar and the other one does synths and samples. We have an array of synths and samplers, or sometimes just use a feedback loop. Things like scraping metal being played slower than recorded is cool. Probably the quickest set up is a cheap ass Electribe EA-1 MKII, and some cheap old sampler. The EA-1 doesn't have an envelope generator, which is annoying, but the portamento on it is pretty boss. There's the old Electribe ESX which is really good too, but goes for a lot more. Whatever you choose, do what Croch says and GET A GOOD EQ.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:28 pm

possible inspiration to be had:

https://phyllomedusa.bandcamp.com/album ... rrem-gthoe

takes about ten minutes to get to the intense noisludge, but when it does oh man...

that or look up boris/merzbow/sunn o))) collab stuff. personally i'm not one for sludge so my palette is limited.

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:39 am

Hey Welcome!

A good fun way to get a feel for how to fit in with a band in these noise needing situations is to get a feed from one or more of the other instruments - git, bass whatever and stuff what they're playing through your toys - enhance/destroy/blend - see what works. Gates are handy.
:)

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 am

Drore are a band from Oxford who use Noise elements in amongst their sludgy hardcore tendencies. Great fun live, may help with inspiration

http://drore.bandcamp.com/album/tape-two-life-regrets
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

MysteriousCreep

Post by MysteriousCreep » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:37 am

Some definitely great ideas. We'll have to plan out samples in advance, since I don't have a sampler and will have to add them in post, but I like the suggestions. I'm currently working on a modular synth (app on my phone, not a real one) using a square wave oscillator, a high pass filter, high sustain and a delay, which sounds fairly deep and staticy. Also, thanks for telling me about Drore, they're pretty good.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm

I asked my bandmate about this thread, she said get a Micokorg and a bunch of reverbs. I'd add a stereo graphic or parametric EQ, also.