Not Blowing the Snot out a Piezo

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Misomusist

Not Blowing the Snot out a Piezo

Post by Misomusist » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 am

Hey Crochambeau, I have a typical generic piezo horn, mounted in a scoop cab I bought, that I want to put in parallel with the 15" in the scoop, pushing 350W maximum into it.

What sort of series resistance (or lamp) do you recommend? :huh:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

crochambeau

Re: Not Blowing the Snot out a Piezo

Post by crochambeau » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:32 pm

I've never run piezo horns that hard, so it's always been a plug and play thing for me. (My PA runs compression drivers on the top and I've always been happy with that, everything else is generally reasonable volume stuff)

There's this thread with decent information: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... -to.79659/

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Yeah, I'm a little bit unreasonable. I remember seeing a chart with resistor size and handling for an assumed 75W generic piezo, but I'm danged if I can remember where, I don't really need it, it's just that it's there and it seems a shame not to use it.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 am

My big take away from the thread I linked is:

A) piezos are capacitive in response, so having at least 8 ohms in series can stabilize amplifier designs that could go into runaway at super low impedance loads on supersonic frequencies.

and

B) operational load can measure in the 1K range, making standard attenuators ineffective.

Since it is capacitive, the reflected load is going to start out high at the lowest frequency and drop as the frequency rises.

I'd probably just plant a high wattage 10 ohm resistor and an 1156 in series with the driver array and call it a day.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:07 am

crochambeau wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 am
My big take away from the thread I linked is:
I'd probably just plant a high wattage 10 ohm resistor and an 1156 in series with the driver array and call it a day.
Yeah, I was hoping there was someway I could avoid a big power resistor, but I think you're right. Now to scrounge up a bulbholder. Or maybe I could use this old sealed beam headlight I have, shame it wouldn't pulse in time to the music. :idea:

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:28 am

Oh, bulbs will light right up if you feed 'em well, you just have to mount them in a visible location.

Pulse to the beat of the music involves a little trickery, as all you'll get with a limiter is an averaging power indicator.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Well I was meaning more, in line with a big cap and a dropper resitor probably won't be much power left for a bulb. :chin:

Had a cold this week, haven't played with it yet.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:45 am

crochambeau wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 am
The creepy thing is, an 1156 just appeared on my bench. Maybe if I wait the 10ohm will appear as well. :chin:

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:06 am

I built a shrine to assist you.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:10 pm