Octave/Pitch Shifter

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Minnie

Re: Octave/Pitch Shifter

Post by Minnie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 am

Hey I know you recommended the whammy and its a bit over my budget so I was wondering if you think its a good choice to get the PS2? Its seems like the best option since I dont wanna get the us600 and other alternatives were pricey. Only other option I can think of is the newer versions that boss made like the ps5/ps6 but I dont really know the difference from the PS2 etc. You have any experience of these?

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 pm

As far as the Boss PS series goes, I only ever used the 2 and 3. I've always thought of them as more of a multi effect with an emphasis on harmonising. The difference between the two is fairly drastic. You can get a lot more sounds out of the 3, better chorusing effects, almost a leslie sound if you get it right, and the pitching delay is better, but the shifting is stepped (like a piano), not smooth, which I personally hate. It's definitely for guitarists, good for shoegaze sort of stuff.

The two has a little less to it, like only 1 octave +/-, but the shifting is smooth instead of stepped which I like better.

You can actually get a used PS2 for the same price as a used Whammy 5. Because it has a footpedal, you can work other pedals with your hands and play the Whammy with your foot. All of them have a build quality which will give you fifty years of use, Boss and Digitech are well known for their effects being built like tanks.

If I was going to get either the 2 or 3, I'd probably get the 2 because the stepping on the 3 would piss me off too much. I have a Rainbow Machine which gives me all the PS series rising / falling sounds I could really want. I've always thought that having a pedal that does one thing really well is better than a pedal which does a handful of things pretty good, and the Whammy is easily the best pitch shifter I've ever used.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:07 am

, but the shifting is stepped (like a piano), not smooth
Do thse boss ones not have a foot pedal input? Never used them but my Beringer pitch shifter has stepped pitch in the built in knob but if you connect a pedal (or in my case a DIY box with a pot wired to a stereo jack) you can do smooth pitch bends

Boss RPS-10 pitch shifting delay is a good weird unit possible to find cheap, great for noise / psychedelic weirdness. One mode it has does pitch shifted backwards delay!

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 am

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 am
Misomusist wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:02 pm
it's parent company is American, so all the Trump-ites love it. :eew:
There's always one.
Oh I imagine more than one, going by signage around here, but I do think the Russians probably swung the balance. :chin:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:35 am

timdrage wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:07 am
, but the shifting is stepped (like a piano), not smooth
Do thse boss ones not have a foot pedal input? Never used them but my Beringer pitch shifter has stepped pitch in the built in knob but if you connect a pedal (or in my case a DIY box with a pot wired to a stereo jack) you can do smooth pitch bends

Boss RPS-10 pitch shifting delay is a good weird unit possible to find cheap, great for noise / psychedelic weirdness. One mode it has does pitch shifted backwards delay!
The Boss PS-3 does "step" when using an exp pedal.
But they're small steps and can be good fun for creating weird arpeggios or loops.
If you're hitting quick(ish) dive bombs with distortion - you don't hear the steps...

What's with the RPS-10 keyboard control option?

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:41 am

crochambeau wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:11 am

I'm designing an octave divider using discrete transistors, I wouldn't dream of trying the same with a pitch shifter.
Nice! But why not pitch shifters?
Could it be done resulting in small steps as in the PS-3?

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am

Dunno if it can be done?

Octaving is generally just frequency dividing. Pitch shifting is a whole different ball game, I don't know if there would be an 'analog' counterpart.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 pm

If I was going to get either the 2 or 3, I'd probably get the 2 because the stepping on the 3 would piss me off too much. I have a Rainbow Machine which gives me all the PS series rising / falling sounds I could really want. I've always thought that having a pedal that does one thing really well is better than a pedal which does a handful of things pretty good, and the Whammy is easily the best pitch shifter I've ever used.
Thank you for taking your time and writing this. Very helpful to me. I just found a PS-2 in Belgium which is pretty close to me (amsterdam) so I bought that one. I think the stepping would also piss me of so Im happy I found a PS-2 for a decent price. I paid 115€ for it and then 15€ extra for shipment. Im glad I invested in getting a Boss. Feels good in the long run!

ps. THANKS TO ALL for the helpful tips and replies!

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Dyecap wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:41 am
crochambeau wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:11 am

I'm designing an octave divider using discrete transistors, I wouldn't dream of trying the same with a pitch shifter.
Nice! But why not pitch shifters?
Could it be done resulting in small steps as in the PS-3?
Misomusist wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am
Dunno if it can be done?

Octaving is generally just frequency dividing. Pitch shifting is a whole different ball game, I don't know if there would be an 'analog' counterpart.
Yeah, pitch shifting would demand uneven fractions or multipliers of the source frequency, whereas an octave down just amounts to triggering a bistable flip flop. It could arguably be done with many generations of frequency doubling, and then applying logic (I'm still talking discrete topology) to produce intervals that would follow the source frequency as a ratio. Then the user selects which ratios are tapped and you'd have a rudimentary pitch shift ability.

All original signal nuance would be lost (though dry mix is a magic bullet for this shit) and it would probably take hundreds of transistors across many, many stages working in unison to even half ass what a PS-2 or other can probably do.

My pitch shift experience is limited to: Digitech IPS-33, Roland VP-70, and Eventide H-3000...

I would estimate a discrete transistor build would need to be in the thousands of dollars to cover R&D et al, at which point just going for an Eventide would make much more sense.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Besides, I prefer ring mod for low brow intervals.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:52 am

What's with the RPS-10 keyboard control option?
Worlds of weirdness that I've yet to fully explore. Essentially it just about tracks a mono sinewave (the intended use) and does all sorts of great glitching with other signals

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:52 am

I suppose you could do similar using a CV keyboard and the control input on other ones.

Or wait, CV would not be the same a a resistive source, so no, you could make a keyboard to do set resistances I suppose. My brain hurts :eew:

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:11 am

So i have a painfully novice question regarding the power supply, I got this daisy chain adapter from truetone and I was wondering if I can power the Boss PS-2 with it?

Specs of my adapter:

Specs of PS-2 power supply from manual

So my adapter outputs 9v DC center pin negative, and says it should work with the Boss PSA series. But the power specs from the Boss manual says it needs an AC adapter? And the one I have says it doesn't output AC? I figured since its a 9V center negative it should be fine right? Or is it dangerous for the pedal to power it with this one?

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 am

Your supply will work fine.
Have fun!

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 am

Dyecap wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 am
Your supply will work fine.
Have fun!
okey! thank you for confirming :)
So how come it says Power: 9V DC, and then AC adapter?
just curious