Octave/Pitch Shifter

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

crochambeau

Re: Octave/Pitch Shifter

Post by crochambeau » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 am

Minnie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 am
So how come it says Power: 9V DC, and then AC adapter?
just curious
It converts (or adapts, if you prefer) AC to DC. The important aspect is polarity of DC on output of power supply, voltage of DC and sufficient current capability, all of which you are well within spec.

The AC is there because generally speaking, the power supply needs AC on its input to work, simply hooking it up to a battery would produce nothing.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:59 am

crochambeau wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 am
It converts (or adapts, if you prefer) AC to DC. The important aspect is polarity of DC on output of power supply, voltage of DC and sufficient current capability, all of which you are well within spec.

The AC is there because generally speaking, the power supply needs AC on its input to work, simply hooking it up to a battery would produce nothing.
I learn so much from you guys. Thanks so much for taking your time and clarifying for me. Really appreciate it!
Im getting all set with gear now for a while so time to get productive!

half-round-bastard

Post by half-round-bastard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Just throwing in my two cents, for what it's worth (everyone else in this thread clearly knows a fuck of a lot more about what they're talking about than I do).
I have a Behringer US600. Works great in a feedback loop set-up in conjunction with some kind of distortion to produce HNW type textures, and generally offers a lot of options as far as pitch-shifting in general goes. One possible issue (depending on your subjective taste) is that, if you pitch-shift too high, you get really blatantly digital-sounding, squealy sounds. I like it in some contexts, but I can imagine that a lot of people would HATE it.

Also, I use tons of Behringer equipment, and I've never had an issue with any of it. Great if you're on a budget (like I am). If you've got the dough, then it would probably be wiser to buy higher-end equipment, but if your funds are limited, then at least consider Behringer. Just don't throw it around the room, and you should be fine.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm

I love Behringer, and use a filter, or an old crossover to cut the high squealy stuff. :idea:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

half-round-bastard

Post by half-round-bastard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm
I love Behringer, and use a filter, or an old crossover to cut the high squealy stuff. :idea:
Well there you go, problem solved!