Midi Keyboard+Pedals

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Minnie

Midi Keyboard+Pedals

Post by Minnie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 am

Hey guys,

I need some advice. So Im getting a bigger midi keyboard controller for my plugins in Ableton and I was wondering if I can use my guitar pedals together with my midi keyboard?

I have a tascam us-2x2 soundcard + a devine mx+4 mixer. I hope thats all I need in order to make it work, if possible?
The midi controller can only be connected with USB. Im just not sure how to route the audio.

Midi Keyboard ---> Computer ---> Soundcard audio out ---> into mixer ---> into FX pedal ---> back into channel 1 on the soundcard?

But I guess that dont work since it creates a feedback loop. I tried googling but haven't been very successful yet.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

s.p.i.n.

Re: Midi Keyboard+Pedals

Post by s.p.i.n. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Try FX send (mixer) > pedals > Aux (mixer)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Minnie wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 am

Midi Keyboard ---> Computer ---> Soundcard audio out ---> into mixer ---> into FX pedal ---> back into channel 1 on the soundcard?

But I guess that dont work since it creates a feedback loop. I tried googling but haven't been very successful yet.
I assume you are running it back into the sound card because you want to record on the computer. Since you only have the one stereo output and one stereo input you won't beable to monitor the input when recording.

As s.p.i.n. suggests if you use the aux out from the mixer then you can run the output from the pedals back into the mixer and monitor the result there while recording on the computer with the input channels muted.

I'm not very familiar with Ableton but I'm pretty sure you should beable to do this.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:42 am

Yeah, looking at the interface, it only has one stereo output. When I was using my old M-Audio Fast Track, which is quite similar, I would record what I wanted from the keyboard, play it back through some gear, and back in to the DAW. Here's a screenshot of what your routing should look like.
routing.JPG
routing.JPG (19.46 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Just note that your routing will vary. You'll only make a feedback loop if you send the PEDAL FX recording back out to the Master, so just mute the channel while keeping the Monitor to In. It's been a long time since I've had to use that interface for that function, so hopefully I remembered it all correct. Give it a try, come back and let me know.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:31 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:42 am

Just note that your routing will vary. You'll only make a feedback loop if you send the PEDAL FX recording back out to the Master, so just mute the channel while keeping the Monitor to In. It's been a long time since I've had to use that interface for that function, so hopefully I remembered it all correct. Give it a try, come back and let me know.
Hey thanks for the detailed answer! This sounds great. I kinda understand what you mean and I will try to mess with the settings but could maybe try to explain how I specifically would route the audio?

So lets say I record a melody in Ableton. I wonder then how I would send this audio out of the soundcard and then through pedals and back again? Just kind of started to mess with these things so im still learning alot. Appreciate all the tips!

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Look at the outing on the picture. "Audio To" and "Audio From" has an output number and an input number. Your interface has two mono outputs, and two mono inputs.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:19 pm
Look at the outing on the picture. "Audio To" and "Audio From" has an output number and an input number. Your interface has two mono outputs, and two mono inputs.
Alright thanks alot, will mess around with it, havent had the time yet. So I read online that you could also run into a problem with the impedance. Something about that the Interface output higher than the pedals can deal with so you get a distorted kind of audio when you run it back? You said you tried this earlier with your M-audio—so I wonder if you ran into electrical impedance problems? Do I need a special box that converts the signal?

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:27 am

If you want, you can get a DI box, or just down the volume on the output.