Painfully novice

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

neonczolgosz

Painfully novice

Post by neonczolgosz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Cutting quickly to the chase. Big fan of the more industrial side of noise (TG, Nurse with wound, bastard noise, etc), and really curious as to how to best generate solid noise soundscapes that aren't overly harsh or abrasive with a minimal to nonexistent budget. I have a pc, a guitar and bass, mid 90s digital modeling amp, early 80s analog drum machine, and a boss pitch shifter pedal. Help give me direction.

timdrage

Re: Painfully novice

Post by timdrage » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:41 am

Direction: plug those things into each other, forget about 80s bands and forget about the internet

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:07 am

I was gonna say delay, but I guess that's more scape than industrial. :mrgreen:

Tim's right though, plug it all in, crank it up, see what you get.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:17 am

You have all the gear you need, once you have a way to record on to your computer. Grab a couple of VSTs and just record stuff and mangle it until it sounds right. I'm assuming you know how to use an EQ, because you have an amp modeller. A lot of people seem to forget how easy it is to carve the sound you want using just an EQ. Your best way forward is to just get on with it, which doesn't sound like great advice to be honest. I know they're not mutually exclusive, but I'm having a hard time imagining "Solid noise soundscapes" that aren't "overly harsh or abrasive."

I'm in a surprisingly good mood for once, so try recording a bunch of loops with your bass, and jam over them. Distort the drums, compress them a whole bunch, maybe run them through the modeller. Use lots of feedback. If you hold your guitar or bass near some that emits some electronic interference like a television remote while you press buttons you can get weird sounds. Feed a pedal back into itself. What DAW do you use? Some of them let you make a feed back loop inside the box with a little clever routing.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:05 am

Do you have a method by which to play and hear all of these things at once?

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 am

Harsh and abrasive to me means too much treble, so a low pass filter would be your friend. Either by EQ, or in the box after you record it.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 am

Misomusist wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 am
Harsh and abrasive to me means too much treble, so a low pass filter would be your friend. Either by EQ, or in the box after you record it.
Depending on gear, laying out your gain staging in a more "universally proper" way will reduce the harsh and abrasive as well. I'd say picking up a used old (as in 1980s) mixing board would be a fix as well. There's something to be said with over-taxing a summing section that is not populated with "sky's the limit" bandwidth parts.