Turntable

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Grindingandrust

Turntable

Post by Grindingandrust » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Does anyone know how to make noise with a turntable? Otomo yoshihide makes them scream and rumble and so does beauleu, but I want to know how before I buy a cheap one
Thoughtcriminal1.bandcamp.com

MKULTRA

Re: Turntable

Post by MKULTRA » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:27 am

Telling you how serves no purpose if you can not apply it. Get one and experiment.

(Yoshihide-san uses a large amount of gain at times.)
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

Grindingandrust

Post by Grindingandrust » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 am

Gain like sending the output into a pedal somehow or preamp before it hits the amp? I'm all for experimentation, I just want to know technique for acquiring the sounds. Watching them do it I wasn't understanding how it was making those sounds

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am

Grindingandrust wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 am
Gain like sending the output into a pedal somehow or preamp before it hits the amp? I'm all for experimentation, I just want to know technique for acquiring the sounds. Watching them do it I wasn't understanding how it was making those sounds
Turntables have a stylus that transforms movement (be it vibration or guided transfer, the latter example being the typical application) into electrical signal. That signal is generally smaller by a factor of 10-20 (I'm spit balling here, my numbers may not be accurate) than the average guitar signal. That said, gain is cheap and plentiful. Signal can be manipulated in an array of methods and ultimately amplified, which is the manner of taking an electrical signal and transforming that into vibration, or movement based upon a signal.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 am

Also, welcome to the board!

Forgive us if we come off as gruff, many of the old timers here have faced these questions hundreds of times already, and we have concluded from experience and observation that handing out recipes usually returns stale results. It's best to work at this and exercise the skill.

diurnalburdens

Post by diurnalburdens » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 am

Play anything that isn't a record on it. Sanding disc, scrap metal, gluten free lasagne sheets, your parent's divorce papers....

Wire up another stylus to the original one and play the same surface in two different places.

Fuck about. Spend little. Don't be precious about stuff. Practice. Get good. Have fun!

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:18 am

Like croch says, gain is plentiful. Anything like a distortion/fuzz/boost/overdrive/metal pedal will gain up the signal, assuming you are connecting to something like a guitar amp or a PA?

Placing the turntable on the amplifier, or the speaker cab of the amplifier if it is a separate entity will enable you to work with feedback much easier, essentially whatever disk you are using can be vibrated, which in turn will vibrate the stylus, which will be amplified, and so on....
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:52 am

Just buy some suitable vinyl, Merzbow, The Rita or Vomir.... easy... (joking)

And maybe 'improve' – sandpaper, apply polystyrene cement....

Grindingandrust

Post by Grindingandrust » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to be getting a cheap one soon off Craigslist and I'll upload my experiments!

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:49 am

I am currently experimenting with turntables. Will post some of my better results here when I get something I am happy with.

I have a pair of Pioneer PLX-1000's which are pretty solid DJ turntables (they were developed as a cheaper Technics 1210 replacement)

One good thing with these is the +/- 50% pitch adjustment so you can make some pretty weird sounds just from riding the pitch controller up and down.

I currently go from turntable to Boss RC-3 for sample layering, then straight into my mixer so I can keep it all stereo sound. If I stick my current distortion/gain pedal into the chain then I have to go mono.

Sound source wise, I picked up some excellent old BBC hi-fi test records for a few quid, full of white noise samples, wow, left+right bias correction tones, flutter, pink noise and various bass rumbles etc.

I also look out for techno records with locked groove samples, and a lot of drum and bass sounds great (especially if 45rpm) when you slow it down to 33rpm then -50% pitch.
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:33 am

Yeah get one and try things. It's not at all difficult to make a turntable unintentionally feed back in normal use, let alone if you turn up the gain/EQ too much on purpose or add fx. :)