Thunder tube?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

inkblot

Thunder tube?

Post by inkblot » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 pm

I got bored on Amazon and found this cheap thunder tube, and upon finding some videos of it I was fucking blown away :eek:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NZB2D0/re ... RzbN4G5SVY
https://youtu.be/LF38hgMVaEs
I want to send this through a distortion pedal and a fuzz pedal out to a Honeytone, but I don't know how to record it. Should I go with a contact mic, a cheap karaoke mic, or something else?

Misomusist

Re: Thunder tube?

Post by Misomusist » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:39 am

I don't think you could close mic it, you could try a contact mic, but it's not going to get it all.

I'd hang a mic from the ceiling in the middle of the room.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:57 pm

I've been meaning to build an extra large thunder tube.. I think I have all the parts.. a really long sproingy spring, a large PVC pipe and then a thin metal plate on one end to mount the spring to

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:43 am

Just get it and try recording with anything. Contact mic works or maybe suspend a normal mic in the centre of the tube with rubber bands or something

You mean one of those little honeytone practice amps? Unmic'd thunder tube will probably sound as loud as that anyway :)

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:43 am

xdugef wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:57 pm
I've been meaning to build an extra large thunder tube.. I think I have all the parts.. a really long sproingy spring, a large PVC pipe and then a thin metal plate on one end to mount the spring to
Amazing idea! :D