Cut-up Noise For Beginners

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Re: Cut-up Noise For Beginners

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 pm

If your mixer has a headphone output, it probably has an option to route audio from certain channels to the headphones with a button. Take your audio out from the headphones, and slam on the buttons randomly. Bonus points for only using no-input-mixer technique without pedals. Can also run a delay with a hold function, or the glitch effect on a KP from the headphone output.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Moonchild wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:43 am
I never said my method was the cheapest or even the best overall.
I was mostly only criticizing the suggestion that this was a tutorial for beginners.. :lol:
Moonchild wrote:
I'm just too old-school.
In my day you had to actually use scissors and tape to cut and paste if you wanted to cut up noise....

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Wow! You are friendly... I was just trying to be lighthearted.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Moonchild wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:12 pm
Wow! You are friendly... I was just trying to be lighthearted.
:party2:

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Moonchild wrote:
edit:I changed few things in my tutorial, mainly language mistakes, a tip for vocals and the very end. I hope it's more fair that way.
Man, I completely missed that, was it always there?

I just saw the equipment list.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:37 am

Yes, of course. It was always intended as a tutorial. A simple list of gear by itself would have made no sense to me, as you need to know what to do with it.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:29 am

I have a couple of windows based programs which 'chop up' wav files here...

http://www.jliat.com/download/index.html

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks! That can be useful!

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:18 am

You might also try the program which turns .exe files into wav format -some interesting sounds. Obviously use a copy!

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 am

Can't you just import the raw data into Audacity, I've done that before, play with different bit widths and coding as you go.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 am
Can't you just import the raw data into Audacity, I've done that before, play with different bit widths and coding as you go.
Yes you can - project - import raw data... as also with Goldwave - which isn't free but I find very useful...

I'm not sure if Audacity can do this but in Goldwave you can auto cue -say every few seconds and then split these into separate files.
You can then mix these as cut ups. It would not be too difficult to code this whole process automatically... even making the small sections random... the wav format is very simple to work with... you can also mix files - you simply add the two pcm samples, making sure to not overflow. I know you can do this using software but its interesting to mess with- well some might find it so.

It's how I came up with http://jliat.com/recording-of-a-single-sample.wav

Which has now been played on BBC Radio 3! no less :roll:

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:20 am

I made this a few years ago now. The sound sync isnt
good in parts, but it does show how sounds are 'recorded' in .WAV
PCM files. (Audio CDs) It's about 30 minutes, and was made in sections so a
little 'lumpy'. The audio at times is distorted as the video
recording software conflicts with my program. It was made using
free recording SW and a cheap laptop. The conclusion that sound
in Digital recording is made by different silences may seem strange,
but its sort of true.

http://jliat.com/sine_decon.mp4

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:41 pm

2017, Noise Tutorials...

So glad I came back here.
:static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static:
:static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static: :static:
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

luisindefinite

Post by luisindefinite » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 am

nice tutorial Moonchild.

I have a question: If I replace the volume pedal you describe Boss FV-500-H (HIGH IMPEDANCE) for a "Boss Volumenpedal FV-200 - Keyboardvolume" (LOW IMPEDANCE). I can use it as a volume pedal, but there is a problem with the impedance?

thanks for your help
and greetings from Bern.

Moonchild

Post by Moonchild » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:40 pm

I actually wondered about that... I'm not an expert on the subject, so I honestly don't know but I really think it should work. I just wouldn't bet my life on it. If you want to be sure I can email the fabricant of the mixer and ask about the impedance of a feedback loop on their machines, I'd be curious to know what they would answer. Probably something like "Don't do that to your mixer! Feedback loops can damage your equipment!" :shock: :D

Don't be too afraid to experiment though, noise was created using equipment in an unconventional manner. Equipment can always be replaced. And I can promise you it won't explode. :twisted:

Sorry I can't help you more than that for now, I should have done my homework and ask them along time ago...