What's your laptop setup

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

rasmussen

What's your laptop setup

Post by rasmussen » Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm using

Ableton, some stuff written in processing (processing.org) lately.
Some pure data but not much.

In the past I did a lot with audiomulch/reaktor/pd/max/chuck/lots of vsts.

--John
page27.com

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Re: What's your laptop setup

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 am

Live 9, PD and AudioMulch. I use Audition for work stuff all the time.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Wed May 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Desktop:

Recording:
-Audacity, for line in recordings from my mixer, because it's free and it's easy to multi-track in, and it runs smoothly on my computer.

-Goldwave, mostly to record single tracks of streaming audio these days, because I'm too lazy to switch between input sources [line in, stereo mix, etc.], so I opt to record in different programs entirely for different input sources. I also dump all my Audacity tracks into GW to do more precise, surgical wave editing and processing, because it's way easier to work in than stupid Fisher-Price-looking Audacity's awkward, clumsy interface, even though a lot of its built-in effects are really cheesy. It also runs quite smoothly on my machine.

-iZotope RX4. Only occasionally do I record into it. I mostly use it for extra-fancy noise reduction, downsampling, EQ, dithering, etc.

-Mixing/mastering:
-FL 12, because I've been using FL forever, so why not? "Mixing and mastering" for me = dumping all my Audacity and GW tracks into the playlist, assigning the tracks to different mixer channels and spending 3 hours twiddling VST effects applied to each individual track and chopping them up and nudging the track positions around infinitesimally small degrees within the playlist until I don't hate the way it all sounds. Sometimes I use synths in there. Sometimes I experiment with various different things (Scratcher, XY Controller, etc.), but the majority of my FL use these days is as I described above.

Bullshit:
I occasionally make super-jittery feedback loops in AudioMulch. Sometimes, I make source audio slop using GranuLab. I like to dick around without various bits of free, old/obsolete and personally nostalgic audio software every now and then. I'm largely stuck in the past. Not totally by choice.

Thinking about installing Audition on a laptop I repaired recently, since I have a 64bit copy of it (Desktop is 32bit + it barely chokes its way through processing and rendering files in iZotope, GW and FL Studio as it is). Right now, the laptop just has a newer, 64bit vers. of GoldWave on it, which, annoyingly enough, has an interface that's similarly bulbous and persnickety to Audacity. :eew:

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:10 am

Anyone use the cum dump vst?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:50 am

Claud601 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:10 am
I prefer cum dump hardware, thankyouvurymuch.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:57 am

crochambeau wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:50 am
Claud601 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:10 am
I prefer cum dump hardware, thankyouvurymuch.
What about Dump Dinners?