Looking for gear that switches lines, etc.

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

DonaldKrump

Looking for gear that switches lines, etc.

Post by DonaldKrump » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:57 am

Something like a mixer, but no EQ or anything needed. Something that has toggle or momentary switches for multiple lines. Just realized, something like a Trogotronics Iron Cross, same type of functioning but no joystick and gradual mixing needed. I have a Whirlwind AB Selector but I would like more control and momentary switching and then combining up to 4 channels if I need. I can't even search for this because there's so many pedal based foot switches and it's not a mixer or line switcher in the normal sense (I may be dumb for not figuring this out on my own, but I definitely looked). I guess I could have a few kill switches together and combine them with Y cables...

And if no one makes this, then I'm down for some schematics. I can solder if it's simple. Thank you. I think this might be my first question for this board so I'll say you people are great and resourceful and I've been lurking on/off for a decade.

xdugef

Re: Looking for gear that switches lines, etc.

Post by xdugef » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 am

you want a pushbutton auto fader?

in modular terms you need a VCA and a envelope generator and a gate trigger..

there's also this device that sorta has all that and four channels

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/pittsburg ... -sequencer

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:21 am

Yeah, that sounds about right! Push button auto fader. But I don't need a drum machine, just the lines in and out and no gates either. I guess volume control would be nice but no effects needed.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:20 am

DonaldKrump wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:21 am
Yeah, that sounds about right! Push button auto fader. But I don't need a drum machine, just the lines in and out and no gates either. I guess volume control would be nice but no effects needed.
In the modular setup the gate is just used to trigger the envelopes..

The Lifeforms Percussion Sequencer doesn't have to be used like drum machine.. it doesn't even actually make it's own sounds. The idea is that you can put envelopes on four different inputs and trigger envelopes for each channel. It is basically what you are asking for. I have one so I'll test it to see if it'd work for what you want to do which is to beable to manually trigger each envelope on the different sources.

If you were to DIY this.. I'd say.. hang unto your hats.. use a vactrol!!

Basically a vactrol is an LED and a photoresistor. So what you do if you get a battery or power supply. Connect the appropriate voltage to a pushbutton switch that powers the LED side of the vactrol. Then you connect the audio to the photoresistor side of the vactrol. So when you push the button the LED lights up and the photoresistor allows audio to pass through. The nice thing about vactrols is that they have a slight release on them.

However if you want control over the attack and decay of the envelop you need a more complex circuit or use some combo of modules that I've described.

Might also beable to use a wah or volume pedal to do this.

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:29 am

I'm really starting to see the obsession with vactrols now. That does sound do-able though.

Found a 3 line (ABC) switch that can toggle between and combine all I think. https://reverb.com/p/morley-abc?gclid=C ... fid=947430 I'd still have to change the switches though, I want to switch on/off quickly and be stuttery about it. I also found some DJ mixers that have push buttons for mute, but that's not exactly what I want... Vactrol... vactrol, hm.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I made myself a four channel off - on box. No sound until you press one of the buttons. Do you mean something like this?

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes, I think that's what I'm talking about! Do you know anyone who manufactures one or have schematics?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:27 am

DonaldKrump wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:40 pm
Yes, I think that's what I'm talking about! Do you know anyone who manufactures one or have schematics?
If you don't care about attack and decay then the mute box can be all passive.. so basically 4 input jacks.. wired inline with 4 momentary buttons that are either wired to their own individual outs or to a single out.

So basically you solder the wire from the tip/positive connection of the audio jack to one side of the switch and then the other side of switch to the pos of the output jack. The connect the grounds of all the audio jacks.

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 am

Yes, I think that's what I'll do. I'm surprised with all the stuff that's out there that nobody makes this. Thanks so much for your help.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:07 am

Yeah, you can have it like either of these. In the top on you can connect all the grounds together, but not the bottom one I don't think. I'll make you one for a bunch of currency if you want.

EDIT: For some reason my attachment gets an error, here's the image.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 am

DonaldKrump wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 am
Yes, I think that's what I'll do. I'm surprised with all the stuff that's out there that nobody makes this. Thanks so much for your help.
It's the momentary part that is unusual .. my "bitchbox" has momentary pushbuttons in it but it is also a flooper

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:39 pm

xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 am
DonaldKrump wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 am
It's the momentary part that is unusual .. my "bitchbox" has momentary pushbuttons in it but it is also a flooper
Are those still available for purchase?

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:44 pm

I was looking for the same kind of gear months ago and recently built my own switchbox (pics later, maybe). See attachments: for the schematic (not mine unfortunately) the button is an SPDT and can act as either a momentary mute or momentary "on," controlled by the DPDT switch. Also consider using shielded cable otherwise there'll be signal bleeding through when it's in an "off" mode. I went to college for five years, three of them specifically for electronics, and I didn't understand the importance of shielding until I started this project roughly a year or two after graduating!

edit: attachment didn't go through, here's the schem:

And for shielding, basically just make sure the wire you're using has a conductor wrapped in an insulator, which is then wrapped in either foil or stranded copper and another, thicker insulator. Solder the foil/stranded shield of each length of cable to the neg/ground of the input(s) and output(s). There's probably a better way to do this but that's just what worked for me. I recycled RCA cords for my project. Also there's the ground loop debate regarding shielding but from what I gather its probably a non-issue for non-pro audi applications.

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Oh that's great. I even thought about a separate switch for always on or off. And thanks for the warning on shielding. Now I'm wondering if that's what's wrong with past things I've made...

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:19 am

To switch a line (from one input/output to another input/output, depending on "direction" of your signal flow) grab a SPDT switch. They come in momentary, so you can connect the NO (normally open) to an in/out that will remain silenced until you push the button, and the NC (normally closed) leg to an in/out that will normally pass signal until you push the button.

I see now FAP already covered that, but there it is again.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/