Standardised noise gear demos.

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Standardised noise gear demos.

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:18 pm

The biggest problem with online gear demos isn't the white-man-blues noodling, it's that the people use the gear for its intended purpose. I suggest standardising gear demos for noise use.

All pedals should have the white noise test, where white noise is pushed through. It should also undergo the feedback loop test, preferably using a kroq box or a y-cable, not mixer auxillary in order to get rid of mixer differences.

All pedal knobs should start at 12, be pulled up full, then brought down, but if there's a better idea then I'm for that. I want to know what each knob does and how it reacts.

Synths should be explored fully, but working out a standardisation for this purpose is more murky.

Any ideas and / or thoughts?

xdugef

Re: Standardised noise gear demos.

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Well I certainly would agree that there are rarely demos with the noise user in mind.. I don't know if using white noise as a source would be the best of not.. I guess I'd want to hear a couple of different sources like maybe a square wave or people talking?

The problem with using a floop is that not all pedals are useful on their own in a loop.. they have to have some amount of gain usually. To that end I'd saying allowing a mixer would solve that problem.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Agree on different sources needed. Voice is a good one. Should it be left to the reviewer or also standardised?

In a loop, even if it's not particularly interesting like a distortion that just gives you a tone, it's still handy to hear. If we manage to get this off the ground, I'll do all my gear.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:59 pm
Agree on different sources needed. Voice is a good one. Should it be left to the reviewer or also standardised?
Well if there was a central database for this then I don't see why supplying a set of loops with the different types of sources could be supplied.. maybe it could just be one long sample with several different sections?

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:14 pm

I think separate would be best. Some pedals have a lot of options, and having to rewind a sample instead of just skip back your MP3 player or whatever would be a pain in the ass.

Samples:

White noise
Pink noise (?)
Vocals speaking (Text TBD)
Siren (?)
Some sort of FM-like bass sound for dark ambient people (?)
Clanking metal (?)

Yay or nay on all ?s.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:14 pm
I think separate would be best. Some pedals have a lot of options, and having to rewind a sample instead of just skip back your MP3 player or whatever would be a pain in the ass.

Samples:

White noise
Pink noise (?)
Vocals speaking (Text TBD)
Siren (?)
Some sort of FM-like bass sound for dark ambient people (?)
Clanking metal (?)

Yay or nay on all ?s.
Sounds good... I'd just use Pink Noise.. I really think there's enough of a difference between white and pink.. I'd maybe have a couple different options for vocals.. male, female, screaming for the PE inclined?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:23 pm

AGES ago I had the thought of comparing ring modulators.

My idea was a stereo audio file that would have one side fed into input, the other side fed into carrier - the resulting signal could be recorded and compared with others for a more or less apples to apples comparison.

So maybe a standardized audio file could be helpful?
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Shit, I didn't think about ring mods, some would need two sound sources, even more murky territory than synths.

We can randomly generate some text for vocals, unless yous can think of something appropriate.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Well whatever is decided upon I'd like to offer noisewiki as the place to host it. I recently added the ability to upload audio files and youtube clips can be displayed inline.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Here's an idea, tomorrow I'll start a Digitech DM demo, and we can decide what it needs to be in it or taken out of it, as a test run, and I'll keep doing it until we get it down how it should be.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:39 am

I've thought about this a lot, having wanted to start demoing noise gear "again". Through my brief ~5 video career of posting gear demos on YouTube, I've seen the total lack of focus in what I was doing. A lot of the videos were essentially just showing what might happen when you plug a bunch of shit together and push random buttons.

I think it's up to the individual to come up with their own format/standard based on what they have available to them. But I agree that there should be a basic set of goals for any noise review. First and foremost is to demonstrate the timbral/textural qualities of a device clearly and effectively within a "noise" context. Usually, that means not necessarily throwing out guitars entirely, but using various input sources per demonstration. Ex:
-No input "solo"
-No input w/ mixer (again, with some kind of standard routine)
-Contact mics/"regular" mics
-Radio/white noise
-Various tone sources (even if it's just a self-oscillating distortion), consistent across multiple videos
-A keyboard drum pattern/demo, consistent across multiple videos
-The "NoiseFX" test: Looping a snippet of a shaker box with a sampling delay and then running through the parameters of whatever is processing the loop
etc.

I like the sound database idea, but I have no practical means of accessing one (no phone). I have a crappy digital dictation machine that can load MP3 files, though. I think the most important thing after simply making clear, informative, noise-friendly demonstrations is not necessarily adopting a universal standard, but maintaining individual consistency. Every individual's demos should follow a routine. Find a format/style you like and stick to it, unless you think you can improve on it.

As far as universal standards: I'm alright with the suggestion for how to review pedals in terms of knob configuration (Off > engage at 12 o'clock > turn up all the knobs > pull back all the knobs to 0 > off again). Might be difficult with some pedals like the Boss PS-5 or things with a bunch of switch configurations, but for basic pedals, that seems fine... Can we also agree not to start videos with endless fluff and title cards that get in the way of the actual demonstration? Save the Johnny DeMarco noise jam for the very end!

One piece of gear I'd like to do a thorough and informative rundown of is the Alesis Akira. I would like to be able to demonstrate and describe all the effects, parameters, functions, MIDI functionality, etc. But that seems like way more than I am capable of accomplishing on my own with my mediocre webcam and non-existent oratory skills. And I think just plugging a shaker box into it and running through every effect alone would take at least 10 minutes. I suppose it could be a multi-part video.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:41 pm

I love the fact y'all are discussing how to standardize noise :chin:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:41 pm
Do you even heterodyne bro?

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:45 pm

xdugef wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:43 pm
Misomusist wrote:
Only with a pair of asynchronous vactrols.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:45 pm
xdugef wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:43 pm
Misomusist wrote:
Only with a pair of asynchronous vactrols.
:eew: