0-cost

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

diurnalburdens

Re: 0-cost

Post by diurnalburdens » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 pm
I think it ran under windows 3.1 or something.

Anyway it's mashing the parameters in real time that's fun, pseudo-analog. There's a single DATA ENTRY slider on the beast if we could have 16 or so of them, that would be more like the thing.
Yeah, it's baffling how this never really became a thing.
Even the recent FM revival synths don't offer much in the way of easy editing. They're just more stripped down in capabilities.
I guess digital synthesis was trying to forge ahead at the time and be seen as nothing like analog, thus losing all the one knob per function charm.

Menu diving is a buzz kill. I doubt there'll be a piece of gear to change that for me.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:27 am

I got a Korg Monotron in my secret santa this year, that's as close to a freebie as I've had.
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:41 am

This afternoon I will be tearing apart a piano to harvest the sound board, at no cost but my time (I could also have just gotten the piano for free).
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:25 am

Fletcher wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:27 am
I got a Korg Monotron in my secret santa this year, that's as close to a freebie as I've had.
What was the secret santa gift you gave?

I guess I hadn't considered xmas gifts.. a very long time ago may parents gave me a casio sk8 and then a couple years later a 4-track. I think I got a yak bak one time too. My wife gave me a monotron to replace the one I broke a couple of years ago.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 am

I gave a hand made Aphex twin stainless steel Christmas decoration, stickers, zines and some CDs from my collection. Didn't really cost me anything other than time.

(It was the secret Santa from an electronic music forum, so hopefully the content matter makes a bit of sense)
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format