0-cost

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Sleep Of Ages

0-cost

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 am

What is the best gear you got for free? Share pics and sound at will.
Down here we NEVER get stuff for free... :(
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

¼ dead

Re: 0-cost

Post by ¼ dead » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:46 am

A guy I used to have the most painful crush on gave me a Rocktek distortion. He said he figured I could use it since I do noise. I circuit bent it (just one bend), and mounted the switch on a whittled-down cassette case back that I used as a battery cover mount, because the pedal was missing the original battery cover.

I'll post pictures/sounds sometime. It's really annoying!

fire

Post by fire » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am

piano, short, good condition, owner was moving, couldnt take, mine for moving, dont play, used for reverb mostly

marshall practice amp mg15dfx, friend got it at a garage sale with a sima video sound mixer(battery op, mic power, four chan), gave both to me, amp is bitchen, never used the mixer

couple dozen cassette decks, several reel to reels(one 4trk)(all crap) and a handful of eqs from a horders house who had died and the kids were giving all his shit away

various junkstruments made from other junk
[17,963] days since last fuck given

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:22 pm

A mixer from Jon Moffat, at Oaks Recording Studio. It became my everything-mixer. One of the coolest freebies ever.

diurnalburdens

Post by diurnalburdens » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 am

Digitech PDS 20/20.
Bought off eBay as 'working'. Didn't bloody work. Guy apologised and gave me the 'oh my mate said it was fine' routine and gave me full refund. Said 'get it fixed, it's yours'. I got it fixed super super cheap. Now it's one if my favourite loopers.

Yamaha DX100.
From a mate. Said he could only get to presets and not custom patches. Quick internal battery change later and it's fully functional. Wish I'd kept this thing. Harsh as fuck tones, and that's without running it through anything. Can see why Whitehouse used them live for a period. Bore to program, mind.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 am

I can't think of much of anything in the way of gear that got for completely for free that was all that useful. There have been plenty of items that I got for very little that I circuit bent and have used or still use alot like my circuit bent CD player.

fire

Post by fire » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:04 am

inherited this, so kinda free, still not fired it yet

[17,963] days since last fuck given

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 am

fire wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:04 am
inherited this, so kinda free, still not fired it yet

Heh.. inherited a shotgun and a 22 recently.. still haven't fired them yet :camper:

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Where's that picture of Merzbow at a firing range when you need it?

Joe's mixer story reminded me of my Mackie 12 channel, which my sister gave to me after her boyfriend, the previous owner, OD'd. I didn't know him very well, or for very long, but I liked him. He was the person who indirectly got me interested in Industrial and, eventually, noise! And now I have his once clean, currently thoroughly dust-caked mixer. It's a shame things unfolded the way they did. The least I could do it keep his old mixer clean. Many of the pots are already crackly as hell because of dust contamination. Good for noise, but not for my conscience!

In general, I have a lot more free shit than I initially considered. The crappy Rocktek pedal was the first thing I noticed on the table, frankly. I have a fucking Devi Ever Bit Mangler and WCE SuperFuzz I won in online contests, for fucks sake!

Funny enough, though, I think the most awesome piece of 100% free gear I've acquired is probably the least exciting thing imaginable: An Interex power controller! One of the teachers from the school I used to be a custodian in left it outside her classroom to be disposed of, so I brought it home with me. It's now an integral part of my home setup. One of those crucial bits of basic equipment that helps hold the whole rickety fuckmess together. And it nestles into the limited space so perfectly underneath my mixer:
Both unobtrusive and easily accessible! I love when simple, perfect little things like this come from sheer happenstance and nobody has to fucking die.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:36 pm

I helped a guy sort out his PA and he gave me a mixer for my troubles, dunno if that counts as free?

I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I got one of these in exchange for some website work.. it's not the most essential item in my modular rig but I'm using it..

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm not sure I'd count services rendered as free.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:35 pm

diurnalburdens wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 am
Yamaha DX100.
Bore to program, mind.
Yeah, that's why my DX-27 sits propped up against a wall. I wonder if I got a bunch of MIDI knobs could I fuck with multiple parameters in realtime?

There's probably some Raspberry Pi or Arduino thing to make cheap knob controllers, USB to MIDI crap.

Anyone?
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:35 pm
diurnalburdens wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 am
Yamaha DX100.
Bore to program, mind.
Yeah, that's why my DX-27 sits propped up against a wall. I wonder if I got a bunch of MIDI knobs could I fuck with multiple parameters in realtime?

There's probably some Raspberry Pi or Arduino thing to make cheap knob controllers, USB to MIDI crap.

Anyone?
Well there used to be library editors for the DX keyboards..
http://www.synthzone.com/yamaha.htm

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 pm

I think it ran under windows 3.1 or something.

Anyway it's mashing the parameters in real time that's fun, pseudo-analog. There's a single DATA ENTRY slider on the beast if we could have 16 or so of them, that would be more like the thing.