0-coast

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

TwoYearsonWelfare

0-coast

Post by TwoYearsonWelfare » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 am

I've been doing noise for about 12 years now, maybe more. I have focused largely on guitar drone, homemade electronics, tape loops and occasional white noise generation. Recently I feel I've pegged Two Years on Welfare into a bit of a corner. I like the way it sounds to do things in a certain structure (guitar drones, layered leads, noise explosion, textured drones, fade out). I've experimented with this, but that's what seems to work best for that style... at least for me.

As a result of getting a bit bored with that, I've been exploring modular synths under the moniker Death Lessons. I started with a bastl kastle, which I've been integrating to guitar drones for texture. The tracks are standalone and some take inspiration from the likes of Telecult Powers, while others are harsher and take from Human Animal era Wolf Eyes.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a make noise 0-coast. I like the idea of using krell patches and other self-generating patches. I am, however, less interested in syncing with midi. I am looking for a stand-alone semi-modular set-up to make relatively minimal compositions on. The price point seems right, but I'm concerned it may have limited functionality for what I'm trying to do with it.

Any advice?

xdugef

Re: 0-coast

Post by xdugef » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:12 am

TwoYearsonWelfare wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 am

I've been toying with the idea of getting a make noise 0-coast. I like the idea of using krell patches and other self-generating patches. I am, however, less interested in syncing with midi. I am looking for a stand-alone semi-modular set-up to make relatively minimal compositions on. The price point seems right, but I'm concerned it may have limited functionality for what I'm trying to do with it.

Any advice?
I've never used a 0-coast although I am a fan of makenoise to some degree.. it seems like it's got pretty good bang for the buck feature wise.

The biggest issue I ever have with devices like this and modular in general is that they are great for exploration but storing and recalling cool sounds you've found is nearly impossible or at the very least not at very convenient.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:15 pm

If you have the money to go down the modular route, might as well. The 0-Coast might have a decent resale value in a handful of years, at any rate.

TwoYearsonWelfare

Post by TwoYearsonWelfare » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 am

With my bastl kastle synth, I make patch diagrams, including knob orientation. I keep certain diagrams together for certain sets I'm working on. So, while you can't just recall a preset, it isn't lost either. The 0-coast manual comes with blank diagrams, as well as some patch suggestions. So, its not as incomprehensible as some of the modules I've seen.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:01 am

This and the Morphagene are capable of some sexy things. If I could afford to start off with modular then one of these bad boys would be on the list.

For now I'll keep scouring reverb / eBay for cheap shitty pedals
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format