Beginner Noise Setup Advice

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

xdugef

Re: Beginner Noise Setup Advice

Post by xdugef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm
I like Behringer, new and used. It's an America thing to not like Behringer, like the weird Freedom Fries craze.
I don't like them because their shit breaks and sounds bad. Maybe they make them extra shitty for the american market. I have not owned any Behringer product that did not have a problem out of the box or after a small amount of use.

Oh but if it breaks you don't need to repair.. just throw it away and buy another.. shit is so cheap it's not worth it to get it repaired.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm

How many of their things have you owned, what models?

I've only seen two issues, both on stuff that wasn't mine. A brand new Xenyx power mixer, which worked fine, it just wasn't as loud as the owner wanted. A Bugera amp, where the heater supply melted the Molex cable it was connected with, because the connector amp rating was under spec.

I've currently got 5 pedals, 2 bits of rack gear and the mixer, some bought new, some bought used. I've owned and sold on others, and played thru and played with still more.

My favourite Behringer story is my friend who drove his car into a pond, he had a racked Behringer parametric EQ in the trunk of his car. It stayed submerged for a few days before it got towed out, and then he gave me the EQ to 'fix', there was nothing wrong with it, apart from some discoloration on the steel of the chassis. He had me replace the XLR's as he'd already bought new ones, but it was fine.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm
How many of their things have you owned, what models?
I bought one of their small battery powered mixers and when you run it off of batteries the sound is terrible.. it just doesn't function the same as when it's plugged in. Besides that I have barely used this thing and several of channels have issues with dropping out completely in the stereo mix... seems to be a problem with the stereo channels when you are only plugged into the mono channel.

Their stereo delay pedal has a noticeable pop in the looper making it useless.

I bought one of their power amps .. one of the channels blew the first time I used it.. got it repaired under warranty only to discover that the other channel no longer worked.. so I put it storage and bought another amp that has worked flawlessly every since. Sure the other amp cost more than twice as much but it has worked without problem for years which is far more valuable to me than worrying that this cheap piece of crap might die at any time.. I don't give a fuck if it has a warranty or not.

I have a few other pedals that I bought while I was in the UK because I didn't bring everything I needed and I guess they are okay and the enclosures are cheap plastic.. can't really imagine them holding up under actual use as a foot pedal. One of them was a distortion pedal.. it's okay I guess.. not inspiring.

Maybe they have resolved some of these issues but it used to be a regular thing for people to complain about broken multi pin power connectors on the mixers also certain models of their pedals would not function correctly off of the battery.

I have a few other items .. one is a tube base enhancer which works fine but the analog meters on the front are damaged due to the use of cheap plastic but then again the asshole I bought it from thought he could pack them with sandwich bags filled with air as air pillows.

Also I really hate how they use the brightest possible LED's on their pedals.. they are blinding.

So in short.. the shit is cheap.. that is the best reason to buy Behringer.

RE: the story of electronic device getting wet.. assuming it was not turned on before all the moisture was removed this is not an amazing feat but please everyone feel free to dunk their Behringers in a bathtub .. please.. I beg you and then plug in back in and jump into the tub with it.. :shodan:

untitled

Post by untitled » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Just get an old AK47 loaded with live ammo and just shoot around.

:chin:

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:12 am

untitled wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm
Just get an old AK47 loaded with live ammo and just shoot around.
Use some Behringer pedals for targets

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:46 am

Misomusist wrote:
It's an America thing to not like Behringer, like the weird Freedom Fries craze.
Mighty presumptuous, but whatever. Patriotism and "They terk er jerbs!" has nothing to do with it. I buy and use Behringer (and Danelectro) stuff plenty. Doesn't change the fact that the ubiquity and low price point of Behringer stuff (thanks, underpaid factory employees!) is the brand's main appeal.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 am

Misomusist wrote:
It's an America thing to not like Behringer, like the weird Freedom Fries craze.
No their products sounds like shit and they break.
(See XDUGEF's comment below.)

Cheese eating surrender monkey fries would take up too much space on menus so - Freedom Fries.

xdugef wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:47 pm
I don't like them because their shit breaks and sounds bad.

I have not owned any Behringer product that did not have a problem out of the box or after a small amount of use.
The two Behringer mixers I have owned both went Tango Uniform.
Misomusist wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm
A Bugera amp, where the heater supply melted the Molex cable it was connected with, because the connector amp rating was under spec.

Because cross checking a part's engineering specs against circuit application specs is hard.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 am
Because cross checking a part's engineering specs against circuit application specs is hard.
It probably is near the end of a 12-hour shift.

Unrelated: Digging this Big Bird theme. Very compact.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 am

Behringer are engineered to a price point and play the field that defines cutting edge through cost reduction (ie: competition through sticker price).

I have my own set of complaints with the products I have used, but ultimately it was made obvious to me that my preference/needs in tool requires stuff that Behringer does not provide (in terms of signal support, not feature set) and so I moved on.

For initial explorations brand does not matter, though I do have reservations about routing stuff to the reprocessing/waste stream.

For now, if it's economically viable, grab what you can and explore. You'll form your own set of opinions as to what fits your flow and grow to disagree with others. They are just tools.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 am

¼ dead wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 am
MKULTRA wrote:
No excuse for the engineering department.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 am
¼ dead wrote:
MKULTRA wrote:
The engineering department might be hinging their design direction on an acceptable percentage of OBF and a target span of use.

These may in fact be engineering marvels (the brand continues to exist.....) I feel the bigger problem with Behringer is in company philosophy that paves the way to this topic of conversation. But yeah, outside the scope of beginner set-up tips.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 am

crochambeau wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 am
MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 am
¼ dead wrote:

The engineering department might be hinging their design direction on an acceptable percentage of OBF and a target span of use.

These may in fact be engineering marvels (the brand continues to exist.....) I feel the bigger problem with Behringer is in company philosophy that paves the way to this topic of conversation. But yeah, outside the scope of beginner set-up tips.
Concur. My background with MilSpec applications, Pre-Gerstner IBM in-house systems and custom part spec fabrications blinds me to companies that don't have a modicum of tolerance on the plus side. But Behringer has their target market and their business model works for them.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 am
Concur. My background with MilSpec applications, Pre-Gerstner IBM in-house systems and custom part spec fabrications blinds me to companies that don't have a modicum of tolerance on the plus side.
WORDS TO LIVE BY

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:01 am

Yeah, behringer stuff are toys, mine work, I like the muddy lofi sound.
For the same money you can buy better used.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:43 am

crochambeau wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 am
I feel the bigger problem with Behringer is in company philosophy that paves the way to this topic of conversation. But yeah, outside the scope of beginner set-up tips.
Yes they are leading the race to the bottom.. for better or worse they engineering model is to use dsp so eventually every product is essentially running on the same hardware and just packaged slightly differently.. kinda like mcdonald's :eew: