Beginner Noise Setup Advice

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

obscurisvera

Beginner Noise Setup Advice

Post by obscurisvera » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:09 pm

My Gear: Ableton Live, MS20mini, Sony TCM-DV400 (cassette recorder and player), Audio Interface
I'm quite new to noise, since I've always listened to more conventional electronic music, I recently discovered Moral Defeat (https://moraldefeat.bandcamp.com/music) a Danish noise record label and fell in love with the genre.
I've tried producing something -> https://soundcloud.com/obscurisverainvo ... ad-no-face
but I would like to know more about noise production techniques, mainly I would like to know what are the most common effects to use and which pedals/vst you suggest me to start with. I also bought a contact/pickup/piezo (call it what you want) microphone, but it looks like it doesn't work so I'm going to replace it soon.
I'm after ethnic and occult rythmics and industrial overtones, but I would like to include some crazy noise/power electronics in my productions.
I live in Venice, Italy and in this island it's hard even to find a shop that sells mono cables so it's hard for me to go to a store and try out gear, internet is my primary source of information regarding techniques and gear, what do you suggest me to buy/do?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the repetitive thread

xdugef

Re: Beginner Noise Setup Advice

Post by xdugef » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 pm

obscurisvera wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:09 pm
My Gear: Ableton Live, MS20mini, Sony TCM-DV400 (cassette recorder and player), Audio Interface
I'm quite new to noise, since I've always listened to more conventional electronic music, I recently discovered Moral Defeat (https://moraldefeat.bandcamp.com/music) a Danish noise record label and fell in love with the genre.
I've tried producing something -> https://soundcloud.com/obscurisverainvo ... ad-no-face
but I would like to know more about noise production techniques, mainly I would like to know what are the most common effects to use and which pedals/vst you suggest me to start with. I also bought a contact/pickup/piezo (call it what you want) microphone, but it looks like it doesn't work so I'm going to replace it soon.
I'm after ethnic and occult rythmics and industrial overtones, but I would like to include some crazy noise/power electronics in my productions.
I live in Venice, Italy and in this island it's hard even to find a shop that sells mono cables so it's hard for me to go to a store and try out gear, internet is my primary source of information regarding techniques and gear, what do you suggest me to buy/do?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the repetitive thread

you might want to browse these threads for ideas..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=608

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16440

obscurisvera

Post by obscurisvera » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 pm

What effect/pedal would you suggest me to start from?
I've read that Behringher VD400 (Vintage Delay) has nice analog auto-oscillation capabilities and goes only for 25euros, or should I start with an Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz? Metal pedal? Noise Generator Unit?Cheap Microphone? Bass Guitar?
I understand the whole point of this thing is experimentation, trial and error, but I would like some basic guidelines to start from :D

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Can you solder? If you can make your own stuff, fuzzes and oscillators are easy.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

untitled

Post by untitled » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm

obscurisvera wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 pm
I've read that Behringher VD400 (Vintage Delay) has nice analog auto-oscillation capabilities and goes only for 25euros, or should I start with an Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz? Metal pedal? Noise Generator Unit?Cheap Microphone? Bass Guitar?
I understand the whole point of this thing is experimentation, trial and error, but I would like some basic guidelines to start from :D

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 pm

obscurisvera wrote:
I really hate Behringher but sure they are cheap..

It's kinda hard to say which one item you need. Personally I'd say start with a looping delay.. you can also get distortion by using hi input levels on your tape deck and recording interface... you could probably even do something by running it through the ms20. The other good thing about distortion pedals is the hi gain which you can use for contact mics. The Digitech Death Metal pedal is pretty popular and can be gotten cheaply if you look around. You can make a microphone out of an old pair of headphones.. or make a contact mic using the piezo from and old telephone.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 am

obscurisvera wrote:
guidelines
See, that is where you went wrong.

If you insist on buying Behringer, look for something used. Chances are, if it's still functional on the second hand market, then it will probably last, unlike some new Behringer and Danelectro pedals that arrive DOA fresh from the blister pack.

Also, used pedals have less of that stale-Chinese-sweat-and-chemical-wash smell. :eew:
Honestly, the most exciting part of buying pedals for me is unpacking them, covering one nostril and placing the other over one of the cable jacks to see what its previous owner's house smelled like! :)

obscurisvera

Post by obscurisvera » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 am

xdugef wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 pm
obscurisvera wrote:
I really hate Behringher but sure they are cheap..

It's kinda hard to say which one item you need. Personally I'd say start with a looping delay.. you can also get distortion by using hi input levels on your tape deck and recording interface... you could probably even do something by running it through the ms20. The other good thing about distortion pedals is the hi gain which you can use for contact mics. The Digitech Death Metal pedal is pretty popular and can be gotten cheaply if you look around. You can make a microphone out of an old pair of headphones.. or make a contact mic using the piezo from and old telephone.
Thanks, I'm going to buy analog delay and distortion!

obscurisvera

Post by obscurisvera » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:57 am

¼ dead wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 am
obscurisvera wrote:
guidelines
See, that is where you went wrong.

If you insist on buying Behringer, look for something used. Chances are, if it's still functional on the second hand market, then it will probably last, unlike some new Behringer and Danelectro pedals that arrive DOA fresh from the blister pack.

Also, used pedals have less of that stale-Chinese-sweat-and-chemical-wash smell. :eew:
Honestly, the most exciting part of buying pedals for me is unpacking them, covering one nostril and placing the other over one of the cable jacks to see what its previous owner's house smelled like! :)
[/quote

I know behringer is crap, but this is because of the build quality, while the delay itself, looks great (from what I se on Youtube and read on the threads), and since I'm not going to use it with my feet I think it will last, and if it doesn't well it was just 25

MountKuma

Post by MountKuma » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 am

Hey,

I'm really new at the game as well only really started looking into noise in the last few months, I'm based in Australia and currently just run a combination of different homemade contact mic apparatuses through a chain of effects ending in a KP3 and No input patch mixing via a cheap Behringer Mixer.
I suggest starting off with a few distortions and as already mentioned look for a decent loop delay and possibly reverb, although I'm yet to add a decent reverb station to my gear.

Locally, facebook has a lot of second-hand guitar effects pages or I just scour gumtree for really good deals on decent effects/pedals and just run them through trial and error, see what sounds I like and what I don't. I guess this could be expensive but generally, if you get the pedals for low enough price and you're not in a hurry to make the money back you'll be able to resell them for a similar price.

Have fun with it!

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 am

You can never have too much fuzz or distortion.

Ways to split and recombine signal also top the list of needs.

Welcome!
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 am

a microcassette recorder

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 am

A shortwave radio, distortion, delay, mixer and some form of tape recorder.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

crochambeau wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 am

Ways to split and recombine signal also top the list of needs.
You can never have too many Y- adapters..

Also passive mixers like the Rolls MX41b are great not only as a 4 channel mixer but can also be used as a splitter and a 3.5mm to 1.4 stereo/mono adapter.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm

I like Behringer, new and used. It's an America thing to not like Behringer, like the weird Freedom Fries craze.

I have a mixer that's hella old, circa 2001, been around the country with me, still works. Got some of their pedals and rack gear, still works. Mackie and Crate on the other hand, not to be used unless you can do your own repairs. :mrgreen:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.