Yamaha CS-80 redux, sort of.

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

MKULTRA

Yamaha CS-80 redux, sort of.

Post by MKULTRA » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 am

Roman Filippov posted on FB that he was going to make a rackmount version of the rabidly-desirable Yamaha CS-80.

Scott "Old Crow" Rider, operator of fansite cs80.com and one of the most hapless nerds ever in this scene, posted the following comment: "would need to see a detail image of a voice board, but from what I can tell from the small image of the board set on instgram there appears to be two M board voice chains per card. My questions: are the VCOs charge-pump types with a 0.45v 30uS fixed charge reset pulse? Do they respond to linear pitch CV while the vibrato modulation voltage has anti-log scaling to match the octaves? Do the oscillators go to 0Hz at 0v? Filter: linear CV response with ½ range tracking on HP half? Are the envelopes MCU->DAC generated or 152/159-style with '151 OTA cells used as VCRs? I have other questions but this is a start. It is not a criticism either: I spent a lot of time working out NE (GX1) and IG (CS) equivalent circuits so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. "

crochambeau

Re: Yamaha CS-80 redux, sort of.

Post by crochambeau » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:02 am

MKULTRA wrote:Do the oscillators go to 0Hz at 0v?
It's the 21st fucking century, marketing copy demands those oscillators support negative frequencies too!
Last edited by crochambeau on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

xdugef

Re: Yamaha CS-80 redux, sort of.

Post by xdugef » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:02 am

MKULTRA wrote:Roman Filippov posted on FB that he was going to make a rackmount version of the rabidly-desirable Yamaha CS-80.

Scott "Old Crow" Rider, operator of fansite cs80.com and one of the most hapless nerds ever in this scene, posted the following comment: "would need to see a detail image of a voice board, but from what I can tell from the small image of the board set on instgram there appears to be two M board voice chains per card. My questions: are the VCOs charge-pump types with a 0.45v 30uS fixed charge reset pulse? Do they respond to linear pitch CV while the vibrato modulation voltage has anti-log scaling to match the octaves? Do the oscillators go to 0Hz at 0v? Filter: linear CV response with ½ range tracking on HP half? Are the envelopes MCU->DAC generated or 152/159-style with '151 OTA cells used as VCRs? I have other questions but this is a start. It is not a criticism either: I spent a lot of time working out NE (GX1) and IG (CS) equivalent circuits so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. "