Computer Software and VST

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:19 am

Misomusist wrote:I have ACID from before Sony bought it, it was Sonic Foundry, I think they did some of the first decent CD Mastering tools.
Oh, I see. I wasn't aware that it had been acquired by Sony. So it must be older than I realize.

BTW (sorry, I am hijacking the thread here for a moment!), my sister and I used to play with this stupid, cheesy little kids' sound recorder program when we were kids (That, and Encarta Mind Maze! :) ). I've been trying to find it again for years with no luck.

It had a yellow/orange "skin" for its GUI, and you could record passages using a computer mic, then play them back. There was a series of (blue, I think) buttons along the bottom of the window for applying various effects to recorded passages (they were all presets. I don't think they were tweakable).

There was one button with a robot graphic that applied a ring mod-ish effect, one with a picture of stars (IIRC) that produced a spacey echo, one with a teddy bear that lowered the playback speed, along with some others I don't recall. We used this program back in either '97 or '98 on a Windows computer. Windows 95, I guess.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I would be eternally grateful for any leads.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:46 am

I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

vtrpira

Post by vtrpira » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:17 am

I'm not into purely digital noise. But I recognize that interesting sounds can be achieved.

I recommend you this site: www.vst4free.com

Good luck in your projects!
Do you want a manual about rule breaking?

111MHz

Post by 111MHz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Bionic supa delay by interruptor propably the best "analog" delay simulating vst. Perfect for feedback loops. Also wow & flutter is good. I know these are designed for dub but they work well for noise, ambient & lo-fi also.

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml

MentalliumMan

Post by MentalliumMan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:45 am

Lots of cool free VSTs, I like it!
Can someone suggest a FREE VST host (so not FLS and the likes) to use them? :roll:

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 pm

MentalliumMan wrote:Lots of cool free VSTs, I like it!
Can someone suggest a FREE VST host (so not FLS and the likes) to use them? :roll:
I used Minihost by Tobybear for a long time. That and Audacity were how I did all digital processing when I had a shit computer.

Here's a list of some free Windows DAWs:

http://www.musictech.net/2015/10/the-5- ... ware-daws/