good dirt pedals for texture

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

joshenjammer

good dirt pedals for texture

Post by joshenjammer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:51 am

Hey guys, to preface, I am pretty (very) new here and have not been making noise for that long.

However, I have been messing with guitar effects for a while, and already have a fairly substantial pedalboard (although I don't want to oversell myself; I only have 10 pedals currently on the board).

All that said, I am always looking for weird and cool noisy pedals to get, so I thought I'd ask about this on here since everyone seems to know their shit: what are some good pedals that you guys have or know of? specifically, I am really interested in pedals that create a lot of feedback, as well as really textural dirt and fuzz.

One idea I had about a pedal that I haven't been able to find is a fuzz or something that sounds basically like static: not really intense static, more just like the softer static sound that comes from the radio when you're starting to lose signal, or like lofi tape hiss (in a similar vein to the Zvex Instant Lofi Junkie, but more like an actual fuzz pedal if that makes any sense). I know of the LastGasp Art Laboratories Sandstorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1SZfhU9Nd8 But it doesn't actually coat the sound in the same way a regular fuzz would (it's atonal and goes between the notes rather than over them) since it's technically just a white noise generator.

anyway, enough rambling: gear recommendation thread, I guess.

diurnalburdens

Post by diurnalburdens » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Seeing as you've been looking at Last Gasp stuff, I'm assuming price isn't an issue so much. This may appeal to you then. Guy from here makes them. From demos I've seen/heard, it sounds just like what you described. Not cheap mind, but looks like an awesome bit of kit.

http://www.rochambeau.net/dirty-doper/

If you're on a budget however: Take a look at the Behringer Super Fuzz (clone of the out of production Boss FZ-2).
You can some great static-y textures out of that.

diurnalburdens

Post by diurnalburdens » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Or better still, just record to tape.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Nocto loco :mrgreen:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

joshenjammer

Post by joshenjammer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:31 pm

diurnalburdens wrote:Seeing as you've been looking at Last Gasp stuff, I'm assuming price isn't an issue so much. This may appeal to you then. Guy from here makes them. From demos I've seen/heard, it sounds just like what you described. Not cheap mind, but looks like an awesome bit of kit.

If you're on a budget however: Take a look at the Behringer Super Fuzz (clone of the out of production Boss FZ-2).
yeah I've seen some of his stuff lurking around on here, looks really cool. Price is kind of an issue, but I buy probably at the very most two pedals a year, and spend the rest of the time saving. so If I find I want/need one enough, I'll save up.

and as for the Behringer, I've heard they're not great quality, so I'll have to see about that. although, for how cheap they usually are, I can't complain. I also can't say much about that because I have two Danelectro pedals on my board :? anyway, thanks for the recs!

also, does anyone know anything about the Behringer Ultra Feedbacker/Distortion pedals? I've seen them around here but I can't find them ANYWHERE shopping around. are they super rare or something?

crochambeau

Re: good dirt pedals for texture

Post by crochambeau » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:13 pm

diurnalburdens wrote:Seeing as you've been looking at Last Gasp stuff, I'm assuming price isn't an issue so much. This may appeal to you then. Guy from here makes them. From demos I've seen/heard, it sounds just like what you described. Not cheap mind, but looks like an awesome bit of kit.

Thanks for the mention! I have recently discounted a couple pedals and am still open to offers in the reverb shop: https://reverb.com/shop/rochambeau-musical-apparatus

Both of the Mudlarks currently listed also do a self oscillating mode, I wish I could offer the Dirty Dopers for less - but they are a bastard to build. That said...
joshenjammer wrote:One idea I had about a pedal that I haven't been able to find is a fuzz or something that sounds basically like static: not really intense static, more just like the softer static sound that comes from the radio when you're starting to lose signal, or like lofi tape hiss (in a similar vein to the Zvex Instant Lofi Junkie, but more like an actual fuzz pedal if that makes any sense). I know of the LastGasp Art Laboratories Sandstorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1SZfhU9Nd8 But it doesn't actually coat the sound in the same way a regular fuzz would (it's atonal and goes between the notes rather than over them) since it's technically just a white noise generator.
You're closer to a Crustacean with that description. They are undergoing an up-rev redesign, and audio input/additional features will become standard. Here's an older version with audio input:

Sadly due to extraneous expenses I keep pushing back my PCB order on the new Crustaceans, so optimistically they'll be available in a month - but that hinges on my being able to clear out some standing stock/sell stuff I'm attached to.

So yeah, motivated seller mode at the moment, feel free to low ball me - you never know..
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

joshenjammer

Post by joshenjammer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:46 pm

crochambeau wrote:

Thanks for the mention! I have recently discounted a couple pedals and am still open to offers in the reverb shop: https://reverb.com/shop/rochambeau-musical-apparatus

Both of the Mudlarks currently listed also do a self oscillating mode, I wish I could offer the Dirty Dopers for less - but they are a bastard to build. That said...
joshenjammer wrote:One idea I had about a pedal that I haven't been able to find is a fuzz or something that sounds basically like static: not really intense static, more just like the softer static sound that comes from the radio when you're starting to lose signal, or like lofi tape hiss (in a similar vein to the Zvex Instant Lofi Junkie, but more like an actual fuzz pedal if that makes any sense). I know of the LastGasp Art Laboratories Sandstorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1SZfhU9Nd8 But it doesn't actually coat the sound in the same way a regular fuzz would (it's atonal and goes between the notes rather than over them) since it's technically just a white noise generator.
You're closer to a Crustacean with that description. They are undergoing an up-rev redesign, and audio input/additional features will become standard. Here's an older version with audio input:

Sadly due to extraneous expenses I keep pushing back my PCB order on the new Crustaceans, so optimistically they'll be available in a month - but that hinges on my being able to clear out some standing stock/sell stuff I'm attached to.

So yeah, motivated seller mode at the moment, feel free to low ball me - you never know..
awesome, thanks for the reply! the crustacean sounds fantastic, I might have to buy one when I have the money. I also dig the look of the pedal enclosures.

Schönobyl

Post by Schönobyl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:25 am

diurnalburdens wrote:If you're on a budget however: Take a look at the Behringer Super Fuzz (clone of the out of production Boss FZ-2).
I have that one, and it's pretty dirty. Don't sweat it about the quality ... if it's for noise, noone will notice anyhow.
Big Pete wants a woman. Extortion experience preferred, but not necessary ...

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:52 pm

The behringer super fuzz is an excellent pedal for $25 US.

Anyone bend one of these yet?

jliat

Post by jliat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:05 am

s.p.i.n. wrote:The behringer super fuzz is an excellent pedal for $25 US.

Yes its good, I have one, but the Bass Overdrive IMO is better.

joshenjammer

Post by joshenjammer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:44 pm

s.p.i.n. wrote:The behringer super fuzz is an excellent pedal for $25 US.

I'm probably gonna get one because of this thread (and of course, demos I've watched). sounds like a pretty good fuzz, especially considering the price.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:45 pm

I've had one a few years now, SF300, mode switch doesn't click any more,but still works.

I did a couple of mod's to keep multiple modes on, and then pulled them out again when I wanted it back to stock.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

untitled

Post by untitled » Fri May 26, 2017 3:35 pm

What about Behringer UZ400 Ultra Fuzz? > Really cheap

or DOD grunge?. > :shock:

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun May 28, 2017 8:22 am

DOD metal-x can be found cheap, sounds great and by all accounts is the same thing as the rare and expensive DOD Corrosion