post dream gear

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

User avatar
JoeTheStache
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:30 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Contact:

Re: post dream gear

Post by JoeTheStache » Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 am
I was googling around, looking to see if there was a thread about dreams. I never found one, and have since forgotten the dream I had anyway. But I did see this thread.

Here's a piece of dream gear of the "plausible but non-existent" variety:
neapolitan complex mock-up.jpg
-Brown, pink and white noise generator in a single box
-Toggle-switchable circuits with three discrete outputs (one for each color section)
-A composite output connected to a crossfader that can blend across circuits, mixing the signals from brown to pink to white.

Aesthetically speaking, I thought white to pink made more sense, because that's how most Neapolitan ice cream seem to be presented. But pink to white seems to make more sense sonically.

Anyway, I think I could realistically build something like this. Ordering parts is a hassle, though. I want to save up a nice chunk of change and put in a huge order for lots of different project parts eventually. Until then, I will continue to make cheesy mock-ups in PaintShopPro for my own amusement.
i would buy this shit out of this. also add a low voltage/crackle knob just for fun maybe?

User avatar
Misomusist
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: post dream gear

Post by Misomusist » Mon May 15, 2017 3:34 pm

I can build a switchable black / white noise gen, no problem. :mrgreen:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Image

User avatar
DonaldKrump
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 pm
Contact:

Re: post dream gear

Post by DonaldKrump » Mon May 15, 2017 4:08 pm

The more I look into it, I really want something modular and this seems like a nice inbetween piece of gear, like a standalone.

Image

User avatar
¼ dead
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: post dream gear

Post by ¼ dead » Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 pm

JoeTheStache wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 pm
also add a low voltage/crackle knob just for fun maybe?
Of course! Everything should have a voltage sag and a crackle knob.

User avatar
xdugef
Posts: 12867
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:26 am
Location: 噪声æº￾
Contact:

Re: post dream gear

Post by xdugef » Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 pm

On a serious note I still hope to build a tube based white noise generator someday

User avatar
Misomusist
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: post dream gear

Post by Misomusist » Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am

xdugef wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 pm
On a serious note I still hope to build a tube based white noise generator someday
Transformers are the biggest bugbear for me with building tube gear.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Image

User avatar
xdugef
Posts: 12867
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:26 am
Location: 噪声æº￾
Contact:

Re: post dream gear

Post by xdugef » Tue May 16, 2017 4:44 am

Misomusist wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am
xdugef wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 pm
On a serious note I still hope to build a tube based white noise generator someday
Transformers are the biggest bugbear for me with building tube gear.
How so?

User avatar
fire
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: noritual unformation

Re: post dream gear

Post by fire » Wed May 17, 2017 11:16 am

xdugef wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:44 am
Misomusist wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am
xdugef wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 pm
On a serious note I still hope to build a tube based white noise generator someday
Transformers are the biggest bugbear for me with building tube gear.
How so?
handwinding is so difficult, and i lose track of the turns, fun on the toilet though
Image

User avatar
xdugef
Posts: 12867
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:26 am
Location: 噪声æº￾
Contact:

Re: post dream gear

Post by xdugef » Wed May 17, 2017 11:47 am

fire wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:16 am
xdugef wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:44 am
Misomusist wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am


Transformers are the biggest bugbear for me with building tube gear.
How so?
handwinding is so difficult, and i lose track of the turns, fun on the toilet though
Image

User avatar
fire
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: noritual unformation

Re: post dream gear

Post by fire » Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 am

killer, forgot about transformers, the boom box tape shooter idea is epic, remember watching those as a kid
Image

User avatar
xdugef
Posts: 12867
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:26 am
Location: 噪声æº￾
Contact:

Re: post dream gear

Post by xdugef » Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm

fire wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 am
killer, forgot about transformers, the boom box tape shooter idea is epic, remember watching those as a kid
Hopefully you'll be getting one in the mail shortly

User avatar
fire
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: noritual unformation

Re: post dream gear

Post by fire » Wed May 17, 2017 12:36 pm

xdugef wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm
fire wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 am
killer, forgot about transformers, the boom box tape shooter idea is epic, remember watching those as a kid
Hopefully you'll be getting one in the mail shortly
a robotic boombox that launches transforming weaponized cassettes?

thanks man!!
Image

User avatar
fire
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: noritual unformation

Re: post dream gear

Post by fire » Wed May 17, 2017 12:42 pm

The Smudge wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:12 am
herro prease
what yo' dream gear /noise/?
a robotic boombox that launches transforming weaponized cassettes
Image

User avatar
Misomusist
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: post dream gear

Post by Misomusist » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

fire wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 am
killer, forgot about transformers, the boom box tape shooter idea is epic, remember watching those as a kid
How could you forget? Any time you search for useful information on tube transformers you have to wade thru scads of Optimus Prime and Galvatron crap, and probably have to do the same if you look for a galvanometer.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Image

User avatar
fire
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: noritual unformation

Re: post dream gear

Post by fire » Wed May 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm
fire wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 am
killer, forgot about transformers, the boom box tape shooter idea is epic, remember watching those as a kid
How could you forget? Any time you search for useful information on tube transformers you have to wade thru scads of Optimus Prime and Galvatron crap, and probably have to do the same if you look for a galvanometer.
oh i know, i know, i dont even have any tube gear but i spend an inordinate amount of time googling tube transformers, but its all the new stuff, which is gay
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests