WMD Geiger Counter

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Thank God, I was worrying you wouldn't find a way to make the thread all about you.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:03 am

Like all fancy overpriced boutique noise-friendly gear, just buy it if you want it, you don't need to ask the internets for permission. Bitcrushing on a drum machine isn't the best idea in drum sound history tho (having not actually listened to any demos of the thing)... anyway you shouldn't even use a drum machine; make noise not techno :D

Bitcrushing is a boring/cliche enough sound in it's natural environment of software, a dumbed down version in a box for guitar players is even worse :D Tho like anything, it can be useful for noise. I sometimes use the Mooer LoFi Machine, it's pretty nice but a total one-trick pony like most crusher pedals, can be really good in a feedback chain tho if it's not used too overtly. The Gieger Counter looks like it's much more versatile anyway.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:05 am

The Crusade against drums in noise must go on!

Also, bitcrush seems to me like the autotune of noise. Something Cher would use if she did noise.

Dedux

Post by Dedux » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:43 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Dedux wrote:
Halo of Teeth wrote:im a fan of this plug in:
http://www.plogue.com/products/chipcrusher/

only forty bux, bitcrushes, distorts and simulates crappy old speakers from like arcade cabinets and shit like that.

also if you use ableton live and have max for live I believe someone made a free M4L wavetable distort that sounds pretty damn close to the WMD. they even gave it a similar graphics job.

unless you're watched a ton of demo videos and are super sure you want the WMD i'd almost say skip it, its really expensive for the amount of usable sounds you can squeeze out of it... even though i'm kinda interested in it again it's more for weirdly splattered nintendo sounds than straight up "noise"
I dont use computers, I like using "real" things and actually tweaking knobs and pressing buttons. but thanks.
Wait, I just read this. Are laptops not real? The fuck are you typing on, dumbass?

2015 and still thinking laptops in experimental music = Faux pas is criminally retarded.
I didnt say I would be mad if other people used them, dumb ass ;)
I just dont like uing computers for my music, deal with it.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:12 am

The idea that only pedals are "Real" is retarded.

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:36 am

just ask whitehouse

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:The idea that only pedals are "Real" is retarded.
But I know you get having a preference in what you use.

We all do.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:12 pm

It's the terminology used. It's experimental music, saying only one thing is acceptable to make it is dumb.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:It's the terminology used. It's experimental music, saying only one thing is acceptable to make it is dumb.
Agreed. I think miscommunication and general fumbling of terms somewhat goes hand in hand with our little backwards approach to a greater realm of sound though. We're all fuck-ups here, in one way or another.

Just ribbing you a little, sometimes I like to knock heads together too, so I can't fault you that....

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Only death is real.

Dedux

Post by Dedux » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:It's the terminology used. It's experimental music, saying only one thing is acceptable to make it is dumb.
I never said only one thing is acceptable, I said what I like to do. Have fun making stuff however you like. Be well.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:43 am

This beef must be resolved on a noise Thunderdome.

Noise battle...

Noise would get so much more by copying RAP gimmicks than Black Metal, it just makes me sick to think of all the potential wasted.

puddysjacket

Re:

Post by puddysjacket » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:40 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:54 pm
Dedux wrote:
Halo of Teeth wrote:im a fan of this plug in:
http://www.plogue.com/products/chipcrusher/

only forty bux, bitcrushes, distorts and simulates crappy old speakers from like arcade cabinets and shit like that.

also if you use ableton live and have max for live I believe someone made a free M4L wavetable distort that sounds pretty damn close to the WMD. they even gave it a similar graphics job.

unless you're watched a ton of demo videos and are super sure you want the WMD i'd almost say skip it, its really expensive for the amount of usable sounds you can squeeze out of it... even though i'm kinda interested in it again it's more for weirdly splattered nintendo sounds than straight up "noise"
I dont use computers, I like using "real" things and actually tweaking knobs and pressing buttons. but thanks.
Wait, I just read this. Are laptops not real? The fuck are you typing on, dumbass?

2015 and still thinking laptops in experimental music = Faux pas is criminally retarded.

Triggert

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Re: WMD Geiger Counter

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:56 am

Not an argument.