WMD Geiger Counter

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Dedux

WMD Geiger Counter

Post by Dedux » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:56 am

Thinking about getting one of these for my drum machine, anyone have any experience with this guy? And if so, what do you use it for?

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:59 am

seems very overpriced

.bzr

Post by .bzr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:51 am

That's what I'm thinking too.
It sure looks good but damn...
renaud

Dedux

Post by Dedux » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Yea I know its very expensive, probably because of the CV and all the wave tables...I am in the market for a gnarly distortion unit for my drum machine and if you have any better ideas please feel free. I dont want rack units though, expensive pedals are fine.

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:03 pm

i had one for a couple years but sold it to a friend... it definitely sounds very "digital" but it does have a certain charm and lately i've actually been thinking of getting another.

that said, if super bit-crushing digital distortion is what you're looking for there are way cheaper options as far as computer plug ins and whatever... but if having those sort of sounds in a pedal is absolutely imperative to you go with the WMD

EDIT: i feel like i should mention that the friend i sold it to put it to way better use than i ever did, screaming into it and bit crushing his voice to hideous jet-engine roars. sounds great on his stuff.

Dedux

Post by Dedux » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:14 pm

Halo of Teeth wrote:i had one for a couple years but sold it to a friend... it definitely sounds very "digital" but it does have a certain charm and lately i've actually been thinking of getting another.

that said, if super bit-crushing digital distortion is what you're looking for there are way cheaper options as far as computer plug ins and whatever... but if having those sort of sounds in a pedal is absolutely imperative to you go with the WMD
I dont care if its digital or analog as long as it destroys the sound that is going into it. If you have any other ideas im open to options.

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:05 pm

im a fan of this plug in:
http://www.plogue.com/products/chipcrusher/

only forty bux, bitcrushes, distorts and simulates crappy old speakers from like arcade cabinets and shit like that.

also if you use ableton live and have max for live I believe someone made a free M4L wavetable distort that sounds pretty damn close to the WMD. they even gave it a similar graphics job.

unless you're watched a ton of demo videos and are super sure you want the WMD i'd almost say skip it, its really expensive for the amount of usable sounds you can squeeze out of it... even though i'm kinda interested in it again it's more for weirdly splattered nintendo sounds than straight up "noise"

JoeTheStache

Post by JoeTheStache » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:48 pm

I have a Caitlinbread Heliotrope. They call it a "Harmonic Pixelator", but really, it is just a nice bitcrusher. I like it a lot.

guill pizarro

Post by guill pizarro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:41 pm

I have one, it took me awhile to fully implement it into my set up, but now it's being used regularly. I use it for guitar noise, vocals and synth. I have a couple of settings that I saved as photos for easy set up. I can agree with the price, but I feel like I've justified it with how much I use it now.

Dedux

Post by Dedux » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:20 am

Halo of Teeth wrote:im a fan of this plug in:

only forty bux, bitcrushes, distorts and simulates crappy old speakers from like arcade cabinets and shit like that.

also if you use ableton live and have max for live I believe someone made a free M4L wavetable distort that sounds pretty damn close to the WMD. they even gave it a similar graphics job.

unless you're watched a ton of demo videos and are super sure you want the WMD i'd almost say skip it, its really expensive for the amount of usable sounds you can squeeze out of it... even though i'm kinda interested in it again it's more for weirdly splattered nintendo sounds than straight up "noise"
I dont use computers, I like using "real" things and actually tweaking knobs and pressing buttons. but thanks.

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:52 am

Dedux wrote:

I dont use computers, I like using "real" things and actually tweaking knobs and pressing buttons. but thanks.
lol

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:57 am

There's a few schematics out there for bitcrushers.

I will say, as far as bit reduction pedals go, WMD GC is the Ferrari. Red Panda do a good one.

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 am

like i said if you absolutely must have it in pedal form get a pedal. for myself i dont mind using plug-ins for effects like bitcrushers and waveshapers cos those are are inherently digital FX anyway.

if the lack of tactile knobs is the only drawback you could just consider buying a bank of midi knobs off amazon for $40 bux and still save $100 over that geiger counter.

if you're committed to grabbing a pedal you might also look into the bitquest by dr scientist or that catalinbread heliotrope pedal someone else mentioned as well as the alesis bitrman or the red panda bit crusher. i believe all but the bitrman [which is rare these days] are cheaper than the WMD and in my opinion all sound better too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZoXkO79P3o

one word of warning, if you're a feedback loop guy be really careful overloading a Geiger counter i've heard several complaints that it's fairly easy to blow em out if the input gets too high.

best of luck.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:54 pm

Dedux wrote:

Wait, I just read this. Are laptops not real? The fuck are you typing on, dumbass?

2015 and still thinking laptops in experimental music = Faux pas is criminally retarded.

Laura91

Post by Laura91 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:07 pm

Meh...I don't care if people use pedals, synths, laptops or fucking pots and pans. As long as they are enjoying what they do, that is all that counts.

I thought about buying one of those Geiger Counter pedals at one point. But, that was a while ago. Other plans got in the way. Hell, these days, I have enough stuff laying around that I don't need any new gear.