Audio Electronic Circuit Schematics

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

NoizeHack

Post by NoizeHack » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 am

I haven't actually built it other than on breadboard yet, but I'll make some audio examples when I get a chance, soon. According to Ray Wilson the 2n5457 adds distortion, but I didn't see any running standard waveforms through it.

Ok so I built it and it needs some adjustments, with smaller signals (1-3 volts peak to peak) it works great as a VCA, but big signals like a 0-9v square wave just pushes through with no regard to how much it is supposed to be attenuated. So maybe I should put an attenuator before it and then a gain after it to fix this.

just looked at it with a scope and somehow any signal from 0-2v sneaks through with the VCA completely closed, it chops off the waveform at 2V. So if you AC coupled the circuit and didn't use huge signals in you would be ok. I will update the post if I figure out a way to make it work better, I guess next time I will test things more before I post them here.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 pm

No idea if anyone posted this yet, but I'd imagine this will be of ENORMOUS help to circuit benders:

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

If you're in the U.S. basically anything that has to do with radio waves/broadcasting needs to comply with the FCC, so if you still have the FCC compliance sticker on something, you can enter in the code on this search and viola: schematics, block diagrams, gut shots, photographs, the manufacturer, the manufacturer's location, the manufacturer's shoe size... you get the idea.

I did a search for some walkie talkies I got, and although the photos look far different from what I bought (maybe it was a prototype?) just the fact something like this exists is rather astounding to me.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:41 am

I think ENORMOUS (note the all-caps spelling) is a little bit of an exaggeration, but okay.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:23 am

Interesting link, thanks FAP!
I'll have to figure out if there's a UK/EU equivalent...

J.Self

Post by J.Self » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:13 am

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster :)

Sorry if this is the wrong place for such a naïve question. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to electronics, but a friend and I have got it into our heads that we would like to start experimenting with really simple devices for our tracks.

We were given photocopied sheets of simple electronics (well, we now have photocopies of photocopies) that another friend rescued from a school he was working at a while back. We saw this schematic for a simple oscillator and we thought we'd give it a go.

We are about to gather the components, but we are unsure of what "screen" refers to in the schematic. Which part of the cable is it, or what particular wire should we be looking for?

Thanks for any help you can give us!

(apologies if the image doesn't show up)

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:36 am

in a screened cable, eg an audio cable, it's the wire that's kind of wrapped around the inner wire in a kind of tube... it's always used as the ground/negative connection and it shields/screens the inner signal wire from interference, hence the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 am

Furthermore please share scans/photos of those scematics if you feel like it :)

J.Self

Post by J.Self » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks!

Seeing as I will probably have more stupid questions to follow, I will gladly up more of the schematics :) It may take a while as I don't have a scanner at the moment, but I will get them up somehow.

They all appear to be fairly simple circuits based around terminal blocks (They came from a book that was something of a guide to help children explore "electronic music" in a classroom setting):

- Simple oscillator
- Fuzz unit
- Voltage - controlled filter
- Voltage - controlled attenuator & attack - decay generator
(both the VCA and ADG are built as one unit)
- Envelope follower
- Simple mixer

J.Self

Post by J.Self » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:05 am

As promised, here are the schematics. Excuse the horrible image quality, we were dealing with second rate technology and fifth rate photo skills. I did my best to make them legible with what we had.

Simple Oscillator / Fuzz unit / Voltage - controlled Filter

Voltage- controlled Attenuator / Attack - Decay Generator / Envelope Follower

Simple Mixer

There are some reader's notes and diagrams as you can see. I hope these prove useful to those that will find them worthwhile.

thegreatbelphegor

Post by thegreatbelphegor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 pm

For lols

this is what I'm making

http://www.lucidscience.com/pro-basic%2 ... ter-1.aspx :headset:

krisis

Post by krisis » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks, this is really useful.

ZeroGravityFuneral

Post by ZeroGravityFuneral » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:42 am

Does anybody have a simple bitcrusher schenematic

mr bloor