Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Dyecap

Re: Ugliest pedals thread

Post by Dyecap » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 am

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 pm

I dig the tiny pedal trend that started a few years back with brands like Mooer (assuming you don't count Danelectro's mini series, or Guyatone's micro pedals, which I think are nearly as old), but it's gotten to a point where the novelty/practicality factor has been overshadowed by the sheer glut of manufacturers. With a few exceptions, most of these effects are quite standard cover band/white boy blues guitarist fare, so the space-saving cuteness factor doesn't carry much currency anymore.

Aesthetically, they don't bother me, though those cheesy little trim knobs a lot of them use do seem cheap/flimsy.

The Syle pedals, on the other hand, have always been hideous (yet strangely appealing to me for just that reason)... There was some drama about the guy making those pedals a few years back (There always seems to be drama with small-scale pedal manufacturers. A lot of it comes down to the builders themselves slagging one another off). Can someone refresh my memory what that was about? Apparently, he's building under a new name now, though I don't remember what name he's using. Still doing the same bad paint marker artwork on them, too.

That Dr. No Turd pedal had me really excited until I saw how much gimmick overload was happening in their website. Instantly made the turd seem less special/fun, especially because the novelty factor was all it had going for it... I mean, it's a ratty (shitty?) fuzz pedal, which is great, but I don't think it even has any controls apart from the questionable bypass switch hidden under all that pricey rubber/foam gimmickry, which I'm sure would get ruined with normal use, or even just being exposed to air long enough.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:31 am

I could just as well also post this in the Dream Gear thread.

HeliacalShimmer

Post by HeliacalShimmer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 am

xdugef wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:55 pm
sun_ring_modulator.jpg
Kind of charming / ugly at the same time