Cheapest, dirtiest, low-tech, most no-fi methods you used

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Sleep Of Ages

Cheapest, dirtiest, low-tech, most no-fi methods you used

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:34 pm

COG NULL wrote:What are some of the cheapest, dirtiest, low-tech, most no-fi methods you've used for doing noise?
8)

I think it´s a cool thread by it´s own.

I recorded office stuff thru a shitty earphone on the mic input of the PC.
Office material like staples, the keyboard, pens... Hunched and grinning like a maniac trying to not get detected by the forces of THE MAN. Getting some noise fix.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Early 1990s, handheld microcassette recorder (I'd go digital these days*) in the dead of night and:

Metal pallet strapping, rocks and bottles under a bridge by the train station.

or

A gutted movie theater undergoing structural renovation, we had chains, rebar, etc and a resonant room to ourselves.

*if you want to actually capture it. The experience of going full on acoustic outweighed the recordings by a good margin.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

recording my dormmates and I with a jambox in the dormroom, used a walkman to record the sounds of beating on construction equipment with pieces of metal, then later upgraded to a marantz tape deck and recorded the sounds of beating on junk we found at an old train station where the acoustics were much better. We also found high impact explosives in a storage locker in the trainyard that we setoff in small doses in the stairwell of the dorm by throwing a bowling ball at it. Also recorded the sound of the bowling ball being thrown down the stairwell.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm

I took my early no-input-mixer experiments to their logical/minimal conclusion by recording a track with just a cable from the minidisk input to the output, no other gear. I pressed record and fiddled with the volume control while of course not being able to hear anything I was doing. Turned out surprisingly interesting considering :)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm

my first "noise" recordings where done with a cheap guitar I restrung with bailing wire and played with an electric toothbrush through a stereo receiver with loose connections and dirty pots into a jambox

COG NULL

Post by COG NULL » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:21 am

For the sake of documentation I'll put this from my previous post here as well:
For example I've been playing around with this lately: Take one tape recorder with built in mic (should be easy to find really cheap on flea markets etc) and one radio. Put them both in a metal container, tune the radio to static at maximum volume, start recording, close the container. Bang the metal container with a hammer, scratch it with a screw driver, attack it with an electric drill... Presto, instant hardcore shitnoise.

ZeroGravityFuneral

Post by ZeroGravityFuneral » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 am

i cut a guitar chord in half and a headphon cord in half and wired them together, soldered them and electrical tape and BAM!! instant 1/4" to 18" adapter for direct recording into a laptop

^`

Post by ^` » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 pm

I once did a performance when I used a contact mic'd piece of foil that I'd poured honey over, fed into a death metal pedal and straight into the house PA. The options the audience got was waves of screeching feedback or amplified distorted crunching of me munching on foil. Definitely the most visceral performance I've done.

Refund

Post by Refund » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:06 pm

I've used one of those aluminium foil baking tray for pies, with a contact mic attached, and enough gain on the mixer to clip/distort without any pedals.

There was also that time that I was smashing cutlery around in the cutlery draw in the kitchen, only to have my ex-ex-gf come in and ask me what the fuck I was doing.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:13 am

Just revisiting some recordings I made on my oooold phone, 8000khz highly compressed .amr files. They sounded amazing harsh thru the phone speaker but I don't know if I can be bothered to find it, resurrect it and load them back on there in order to record them with a mic as I was planning, probably will just remix them in software somehow. Absurdly lo-fi, nothing's at all intelligible. I have some segments of bootlegged Wolf Eyes show on here but they sound pretty much identical to the field recordings on a train etc. The compression is crazy, sometimes it would even glitch out and loop bits of the sound for a while.

the_lurking_ear

Post by the_lurking_ear » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:57 am

My first ever experiment with noise was a computer speaker and a microphone underneath an overturned trashcan. I had the mic running into a death metal pedal and a really short loop playing on the computer. I just turned the knobs on the pedal and changed the playback speed on the sample.

There was also that super shitty recording I did for RJ's label that was just a monotron into an amp, recorded on a tape recorder's built-in mic.
Discipline Jar

"How do I get that chhhhrkrkrkrk sound?" -Sleep of Ages

MyCoSo

Post by MyCoSo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Took a Piezo transducer out of an old digital watch, wrapped the wires round an input from a broken bass and ran it through a distortion pedal, I would make the sounds by experimenting with various things to scrape across the transducer and recorded the result on to a tape-karaoke machine. The results were were actually pretty grate, I still use the Piezo/bass input today ( though I have at least soldered it now)

the_lurking_ear

Post by the_lurking_ear » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:19 pm

MyCoSo wrote:Took a Piezo transducer out of an old digital watch, wrapped the wires round an input from a broken bass and ran it through a distortion pedal, I would make the sounds by experimenting with various things to scrape across the transducer and recorded the result on to a tape-karaoke machine. The results were were actually pretty grate, I still use the Piezo/bass input today ( though I have at least soldered it now)
post this
Discipline Jar

"How do I get that chhhhrkrkrkrk sound?" -Sleep of Ages

MyCoSo

Post by MyCoSo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:48 pm

No idea what happened to the original tapes, but you can hear the Piezo/Bass jack in action on the Arbitrary Owl recordings, mainly ran screws over it and held it up to the speakers to create feedback

Black Master's Servant

Post by Black Master's Servant » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Heils, I'm new here, but...

What I like to do is first record each track (Drums, Ambience, etc.) in my garage with a hand held cassette recorder, then mix them together. If it does not sound disgusting enough, I through it in my freezer over night. :muffy:
It makes for a good atmosphere as I create Black/Noise