Fixing up a reverb tank

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

FireAlarmPoet

Fixing up a reverb tank

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Some may have remembered back on troniks that I had a bigass amp with a reverb tank on it, sort of like this one only the top spring wasn't detached as in the photo:

Well long story short, all I have left of that amp is the reverb tank and I want to switch out the rca jacks with 1/4" or maybe 1/8" ones. Only problem is, on the output end the wires are completely disconnected from the tiny transformer(?) hence there's no way I could put them back on the transformer (no leads sticking out, the wires were broken clean off flush to the transformer). I was wondering, would it work if I just ran leads to the two knob-like protrusions at the end (they line up with the longest springs) or has to be arranged in a specific way in order to work?

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:52 pm

tl;dr can I do this:

:?:

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 am

Alas i don't think that will work, the coil/transformer/electromagnet things are what actually transfer the sound to and from the springs. But like with most things why not just try it with crocodile clip test leads before asking the Internet?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 am

You miiiight be able to peel away the plastic coating/tape from the coil to reveal the wire and find the broken off ends to resolder but it'd be fiddly.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:37 am

The way it works is that those transformer things are a coil of wire around a magnet which the springs are attached to. Sound played into the input one makes the magnet move and vibrate the springs, and at the other end of the springs the opposite happens and the spring moves the magnet and it generates signal in the output coil

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 am

If you can't fix it then just use it as a noisemaker, the input will also work as an output so you can just plug it into pedals/whatever and abuse the springs, make it feed back and whateverrr

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:45 am

Thanks for the tips!

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:55 am

No probs!

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Not to step on toes or rain on the parade...........

The tank is going to require a bit of assistance, electronically, to work as intended.

I'll dig for the schematic, THAT WORKED FOR ME, to help guide you along.
It is not a difficult task and you will have an exceptionally useful piece of kit to plaster with Wacky Paks.

I'll rattle a cage and see if we can have a few diffrent takes on this form.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Electronics-wise, in my experience the FX send of the mixers I've tried have been hot enough a signal to drive a reverb tank directly, so that would be an easy way to get one working without having to build any special electronics r get a seperate amp/preamp... Tho I guess you still don't have a proper mixer right FAP?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Maybe FAP needs some "real hardware" :eek:

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. :wall:

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:23 pm

xdugef i can't tell if you're trolling so well it is confounding even my expert internet skillz or just sooooooo badly at the moment. Gonna assume the latter.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:05 pm

timdrage wrote:xdugef i can't tell if you're trolling so well it is confounding even my expert internet skillz or just sooooooo badly at the moment. Gonna assume the latter.
Jeez man.. where's your sense of humor? even FAP got it. :mad:

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Well I don't know if I got it per se

I do agree with the sentiment that I need some "real hardware:" resilient amps, actual pedals instead of bent toys, perhaps a mixer manufactured by a reliable name in the industry (despite my current Behringer Xenyx 802 working just fine and over 3+ years of usage)

If I could afford all this I wouldn't be posting here trying to repair all the second hand, mediocre kiddie shit I'm nevertheless attracted to, despite constantly vocalizing my disappointment in consistently falling short of the quality/power/sound the 'serious' names in noise will be immortalized for.

Truth be told, if not for this--if not for noise or I suppose even my past hobbies like drawing or writing or whatever--there'd be nothing I'd find interesting about myself. I'm scared that, when it's all said and done, I'll just be some asshole kid who died as he lived: doing nothing, and leaving nothing of any significance behind.

I doubt that's what you implied, at least in whole. I don't know, I'm feeling like a complete trainwreck tonight.