anybody here do PCBs?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

amishrobots

anybody here do PCBs?

Post by amishrobots » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:30 pm

no, not PCP; i know you're all on drugs (or crazy) I am looking for someone to help me with a project. I mapped out the remco sound fx machine circuitry, but I need someone with some sort of ability to map out an actual printable-to-be-etched version in hopes of getting a pcb for the thing, so i might be able to actually build it someday. cause doing that many connections point-to-point on perfboard would fucking kill me.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:46 pm

maybe Steinbeisz?
Or however you pronounce his name :roll:
Anyways, I got a Chirpy Roach from him and the guts show a custom PCB, ergo common sense would dictate he at least has access to someone who can make them.

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 pm

I got your PM and figured I'd just respond here. I don't know anything about making PCBs but I do have an online friend (helped me with my modified Muff build) who either makes his own or has them made by a place in town. He's in Canada, if it makes a difference.

I was actually talking to him about the Remco, after you had first suggested it to me. I was going to have him make a board for it. Was planning on getting a few extras and was going to send one off to you as a surprise lol.

I haven't asked him yet though. I know he has a full schedule at the moment and won't be taking on any projects for a few months. He will be doing the Remco though as the next project for me. I'm thinking he'll start on it around November/December. I'll email him tonight and ask about the PCBs and let you know.

If you just want the file so you can print your own off I'm certain he or I could send it to you. I think his boards are like $10-$15, but don't quote me on that.

The whole time table works out good for me because I intended to do the Remco as one part of a larger project, which I'm still working and planning out. Was going to have him help out out with what all can be modified in the circuit. To get a wider range with it. Not sure how much of a hurry you're in to get it though. Like I said I'll post back when I hear from him.

P.S. Was trying to get him to sign up on your forum, he seemed to quite like it.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 am

cool, i also mentioned this to menqui aka zi la hong (not sure about his name), he mentioned something to me a while back about mapping for pcb's and having them made somewhere, pretty sure he is in china though. i would be absolutely thrilled to have a pcb, the file would be really nice so i could replicate, though i have never etched a board ever,

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:34 am

oh, and as far as modding the original circuit, finding new ways to tweak the chip; hell yeah! this is exactly why i post circuit diagrams!

Repeater

Post by Repeater » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:51 am

I use ExpressPCB. It's easy to use and not too expensive. I paid $8 per board for a run of 50 boards. The setup cost (the same regardless of how many boards you have done) was about $250, so it's only really worth it if you're getting a lot of boards done and the time saved vs. perfboarding or doing your own etching is significant.

http://www.expresspcb.com/

It would be cheaper to use a program that creates Gerber files, as then you can shop around to various PCB fab houses. ExpressPCB requires you to use their software and the only other company that will fab boards from ExpressPCB files is Futurlec.
Repeater Electronics:
www.hellospiral.tumblr.com

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

Repeater wrote:It would be cheaper to use a program that creates Gerber files, as then you can shop around to various PCB fab houses. ExpressPCB requires you to use their software and the only other company that will fab boards from ExpressPCB files is Futurlec.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like amishrobots wants to chemically etch a board himself, and the crux of this thread is just trying to get someone to cough up a scale correct image file to print and transfer.
amishrobots wrote:I am looking for someone to help me with a project. I mapped out the remco sound fx machine circuitry, but I need someone with some sort of ability to map out an actual printable-to-be-etched version in hopes of getting a pcb for the thing, so i might be able to actually build it someday. cause doing that many connections point-to-point on perfboard would fucking kill me.
To which my reply is going to boil down to: dude, there are tons of libraries on the web, getting scaled footprints is not rocket science and armed with the not to scale diagram (which is the 5th hit on an image search for me) you don't even need to trouble yourself with layout.

Sorry if I missed the point or my reply seems crass, I've just sort of had it with laziness on the internet.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:28 am

Amishrobots live up to your name and just draw it with a pen

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 am

Sorry man, the fact that YOU created that not to scale depiction escaped my notice first time around.

KiCad is a decent open source program, and as good an excuse as any to take the Linux plunge if you haven't yet.

Have fun!
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 am

You think this is enough point to point connections to make on perf board to kill you.. c'mon man.. lazy ass cracker

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 am

yeah i was just gonna breadboard then perfboard it, it's not that complex, plus you can look and the schematic in the article I posted to figure out what's what rather than blindly copying this

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am

timdrage wrote:yeah i was just gonna breadboard then perfboard it, it's not that complex, plus you can look and the schematic in the article I posted to figure out what's what rather than blindly copying this
which article? I don't see a link in this thread.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:18 am

Croch, I use Lubuntu, looking for kicad now. I've never etched a board in my life. I would like a scale correct image file to send to someone for etching, and/or eventually maybe learn to etch myself. I suspect I will probably screw up the etching the first few times at least.

As far as doing point to point on perf with this, hell no. I've no interest in sorting through a spaghetti nest of wires to figure out where I got it wrong on this. I mean sure, its not all that complicated, but it is complex enough that a good pcb would make things far easier to deal with.

ThePastRecedes

Post by ThePastRecedes » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Hey there!

I drew up a schematic a few days ago. Let me know if there are any mistakes. I've just realised that I've missed +9v on pin 12?

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:56 am

soeey , im not done staring at it, doesnt quite look like a pcb though?