Matrix Mixer

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

swefn

Post by swefn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 am

Aha, good good... It's been a while since I'd built anything so glad to hear I haven't missed anything crucial ;)

fx-wise I found that the Kaoss Pad 2 was a useful one to run feedback through using the mic input and headphone output as you could force a peak signal through it using the 'input volume' knob to coax it into action and then back off and it would keep going.

I'm going to keep one and send the other 2 to interested parties (they've already been claimed) to see what they can get out of them.
Your plan to make them active makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see how you get on with that - cheers for the feedback (murhurhur) - that honestly wasn't intentional!

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:34 pm

OK i finally got into using my matrix mixer ^__^ here's my probably stupidly overcomplicated setup for my London gig this thurs. Various awkward delays, fuzz, couple of input things (Micro-blackdeath, Loud Object, pickup + springs/junk box), output from matrix mixer to a clean channel with the ins. send going to another channel via ODB, and a 2nd output thru a Metal-X and optional Bluebox. NOISE MAZE i'll probably get lost ~_~

ΓƱΜΘ ΓΔZZI

Post by ΓƱΜΘ ΓΔZZI » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:35 pm

As a non D.I:Y. solutions I bought this one:
http://kinetiklaboratories.blogspot.it/
it's a 3x3 matrix mixer made by Kinetik Laboratories (Italy)
It could be a good solution for who lives in europe.
If you live in US Repeater Electronics device are the one to buy.

drhamburger

Post by drhamburger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 pm

If anyone is looking for a good matrix mixer or other rad noise gear, check out Repeater Electronics. He's currently making a sick new patch noise synth called the Horn Dog. http://hellospiral.tumblr.com/

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:37 am

OK so i'm finally figuring out how to make my matrix mixer active. I've managed to get it working on the breadboard, component values are kind of dumb i think but it works, quite high gain! I think it will be more like a Matrix Overdrive when i'm done :)

More info and pictures soon, I've started soldering now :)

It's done with op-amps something like the matrix mixer project here - http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/a100_diy.htm - but with different resistor values a) to add gain and b) because i coudn't be bothered to re-solder all the resistors from my original passive version for a third time. :D It's powered by two 9v batteries for now until i get it fully working and can find/make a suitable +/- power supply.

Other schematics i've found had input buffers too but i couldn't get my head round those (whether i even need them, and whether they'd cause inversion and cancel out the feedback!) so i've left them out for now... all the gain is on the outputs, i'll have to have a proper test with all channels filled and see whether that works OK for complex feedback loops.

Also found this page useful for figuring out how to make simple op amp mixers in general: http://www.all-electric.com/schematic/simp_mix.htm

I have a diagram but it's not correct yet and even when i finish it i wouldn't recommend anyone follow my crude attempt too closely.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Soldered and working! Fingers crossed it stays that way thru the always treacherous "attaching all the hardware and closing the box" stage :D

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Suppose I should know this by now, but what's the benefit of adding op amps to it?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Just to turn it into an active/powered mixer which more or less cleanly mixes the channels instead of weird low volume and things interfering with each other that you get with a passive mixer... also in my case i made it have above unity gain so it can feed back no-input or with non-boosting/distorting pedals

FINISHEDYEY

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Which ICs did you use?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Oh, kind of wrong ICs too, TL084... theoretically not so perfect for audio....tho reading up on it i don;t actually think it makes any audible difference, especially for my purposes

This is just my working diagram, I wouldn't recommend building it from this not least because the chips won't physically fit on veroboard like that :-/

Futendra

Post by Futendra » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:19 am

Nothing is soldered yet, but the enclosure is done!

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:06 am

That's really nicely put together.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:16 am

Yeah, nice! Much neater than mine :D plus a metal casing is a good idea shielding-wise tho I've not really had any interference problems so far...

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:44 am

Where did you get the case?

Futendra

Post by Futendra » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:18 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:Where did you get the case?
Plank, aluminium plate and a black spraycan.