Matrix Mixer

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

wayne

Post by wayne » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:51 am

Here is mine :D

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:44 am

I like that a lot. Looks like some generic electronic thing from the 70's.

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 am

i wanna cum on it

wayne

Post by wayne » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:27 am

Hahaha...thanks !

I work as an audio/video engineer and i think my boss had this case lying around for about 20 or 30 years.

rubbish_metronome

matrix mixer and pedals

Post by rubbish_metronome » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:30 pm

I have made two matrix mixers using ideas from this forum. Neither of the two behringer guitar pedals i have will power on when used with these mixers. They work fine with other stuff I've made (a synthrotek delay, an atari punk console kit) and some other stuff (radios, tape players). Anyone know why the pedals won't power on? They both seem to work with a keyboard that connects to a wall adapter. Not sure if it's poor soldering on the middle lugs of the pots that have resistors attached. The enclosures are both metal tins. Here's a video of it with a rucci drone and the apc I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZ2E4ZgWeg

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Weird.. do you definitely have the positive and ground connections the right way around on the mixer ins and outs?

,..are you using a stereo cable for some reason? excuse if you know already but a stereo 1/4" patch cable in the input of a pedal won't turn it on,

rubbish_metronome

matrix mixer

Post by rubbish_metronome » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:15 pm

I'm not sure, heh. Here's a photo of the innards. Looking at the bottom of the pots, the left one is for in, the middle one has the resistors and is for out, and the right one is for the ground. The ground bus, I guess, is the black wires that are connected to all the jacks on the inner jack lug. The outer jack lugs were used for positive.

Needless to say, i am still learning a lot of the basic electronic concepts and don't really know what i am doing :shock: Thanks for replying, Tim. This is Herb Morgan from some of the fb groups.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

edit: I guess I should add that the pedals work OK when plugged into a keyboard or mixer. However, I should probably verify that my batteries are good when connected to said keyboard/mixer.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Yep looks consistent I think and OK, based on just a quick tired look at the photos ha

Which behringer pedals are they? bear in mind that most of the digital ones (Digital delay, reverbs etc) pretty much just don't actually work off batteries at all in my experience.

rubbish_metronome

Post by rubbish_metronome » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Cool, I'm glad at least the mixer looks alright.

Well, the pedals are a Reverb Machine and a equalizer pedal EQ700. Maybe they need power supplies? It's just odd that they work on batteries alone when used with the keyboard.

Thanks for taking a look!

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:00 am

Eq should be OK but every delay/multi-fx behringer pedal i've tried has only been happy running off a power supply, they may have improved things since i tried tho... my old digital delay would do all sorts of weird switching itself off etc even with a brand new 9v

rubbish_metronome

Post by rubbish_metronome » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:51 am

I think I might be having some of the same power issues with the reverb pedal. I tried it last night and it worked for about 10 minutes or so. Then it gradually came to a point where it would power on for about 5 seconds and then just turn off. I might have to try it with a power adapter plugged in. Still need to try the EQ on this one.

rubbish_metronome

Post by rubbish_metronome » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:00 am

So, messed around with the cables last night, trying out different combinations. The stereo 1/4 cables would not work with the reverb pedal, but the mono ones did. It did the feedback, at last. I'm relieved that it wasn't the soldering or wiring.
-------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/herb-morgan

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:44 am

Thing to watch with some of those Behringer delay and multifx pedals is that the LED does double duty as a clip light (I think). That means if the pedal is off, but there is a strong constant signal going thru it, like a wash, wall or drone, the LED will be on, and when you turn it on, the LED will go off. This messed me up for a while.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:46 am

rubbish_metronome wrote:The stereo 1/4 cables would not work with the reverb pedal, but the mono ones did.
Ah yeah, as I suspected. For future reference, no battery-powered guitar pedal will work with a stereo jack plugged into the input, because the part of the circuit which turns on the pedal is the contact between the ring and ground of the input jack, with a stereo lead these are not connected together and thus there is no power to the pedal.

Mains-power-only pedals don't (probably don't!?) have this because they are always powered if plugged into the 9V adaptor, so I think you could get away with using stereo leads for those, tho it's a bad habit to get into :D

rubbish_metronome

Post by rubbish_metronome » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:01 am

Thank you both for the information. I got a couple pedals connected up the other night. The sounds were glorious (to me).
-------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/herb-morgan