Decide me a new pedal project.

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for the link, don't know why I didn't think to look on your YouTube hah.

Still haven't decided on the EHX enclsure. I'm going to sit on it for a little bit and let some ideas stew about. This thread has inspired me to do a build none the less. :twisted:

Here's what I'm thinking...a Remco SFX synth with a Tink Modulator, cascading LPB-1 with them switchable between stock, bass boost (Mole) and treble boost (screaming tree) and a spring reverb.

Probably a few other mods, voltage sag, maybe a patch bay to change the order of the effects? Not sure what else.

My inspiration for the reverb is from my long time love, the Mr. Ugly Haunt Box. And to a lesster degree the Ekdahl Moisturizer. The Haunt Box I wanted to build years ago but never did. Hopefully I will be able to get some of those spooky droney ghostly good tones.

How's that sound? No pun intended. :oops: Other mod ideas or add on's are always welcome as it pertains to the Remco. Perhaps something with a photo eye.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:07 am

hmm, myself, at that point i would try to keep it modular, build the remco, the tink box, the reverb all separate from eachother, too much needless complication in one box. I can totally see a dedicated diode ring modulator in the remco box, cause it just sorta screams out for it, but then again, praps that should be a separate module too. for the remco box, just add a 386 amp for boost, throw in a few more capacitor values, i'd really like to know waht those extra, unused pins on the remco chip can do?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 am

Been looking for a datasheet for the SN76488NF, but only seem to be able to find SN76477 which seems similar/the same maybe? Haven't had a proper look to compare it to your remco schematic yet

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:13 am

+ yeah, while I kiind of like the idea of building multiple things in one box it's always better to have different possibilities. Just make all these things separately plus a matrix mixer :)

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 pm

timdrage wrote:+ yeah, while I kiind of like the idea of building multiple things in one box it's always better to have different possibilities. Just make all these things separately plus a matrix mixer :)
I have the same fascination with loading one box up with a TON of stuff. Although it may be a little less flexible, I was toying with the idea of having an input on the unit that would allow all the built in effects to be used with other sound sources. Basically a stomp-box with an on board synth. <--sounds less cool when I word it like that hahah.

Hmm a matrix mixer would be a good companion piece. That's another one of those things I've wanted to build but seemingly never do.

Post back if you look into the SN76477 vs. SN76488NF any more. I haven't even looked up the parts list yet. I'm guessing everything on it though is readily available.

I revised my initial idea a little bit. I have two PCBs that use the Belton brick reverb thingies. So I'm thinking I will use one or both of them in this build. I will do a spring reverb at some point as I really want one. The Surfy Bear verb is supposed to be a FET clone of the old Fender stand alone tube 'verbs. 8)

The Tink Mod I may keep for a separate effect build. It is really cool sounding. I'll have to see what I can find in terms of neat diode ring mods. Are there any little circuits that use a tube, sub mini, as a clean boost? Everything I find adds distortion to the signal. I'm guessing that's the drawback, or point of using something like a sub mini in an effect form. Just thinking of a way to add a volume boost to the Remco in a different (needlessly complicated) way. Assuming it will even need it...guess I should get to building before deciding. :oops:

So now it's Remco -> Boost -> Belton verb -> Ring mod. All switchable and probably with the verb and mod being flip-flopable. First things first though and that's the Remco!

I did come across this though while looking up tube related stuff...
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-320663.html
The Sound Bender thingy. Looks interesting...I only understand half of it though hah.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:17 am

well, as an amish robot, I like to keep things simple. Loading a bunch of effects in one box just sounds to me like a recipe for endless trouble-shooting later. When all the different circuits are in one box, and one circuit fails, you've got the devil of a time figuring out which part of the whole is in error, AND which part of that part is fucked up. The Remco itself seems to my eyes both simple and complicated. I mean all those frigging pathways, but then if you look at the components, its really just caps and potentiometers. and switches. Seems like the chip does all the work, and the controls are mostly for switching between cap values, and tweaking resistances. Its a project i want to tackle, but not without some decent pcb etching ability. Really I would just focus on building the remco itself as is, add stuff like ring mod, boost, etc externally, and see if any of those really help it and decide which ones to add to a second build.

I mean the proof is in the pudding. You don't really know what this remco thing needs until you got a real good feel for what it does. If you build it by itself, and build the other effects separately, then even if those other effects suck a dog dick with the remco, they can still be useful elsewhere.

as for the remco project having some sort of input, yeah, that's exactlly why i've dreamed of adding a simple ring mod to it. but hey, i really don't know shit about this chip, and for all i know maybe there's an even cooler way to do synth effect with it. I even wonder if that 567 chip could fit in somewhere with it.

As for the remco chip, i haven't found much for data sheets, but i have found at least one place to purcahse one: http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info ... 88d6c876fb
i have never purchased from these guys, so i can't really endorse them. but they look legit.

oh, and as far as " neat diode ring mods" : this is where i first started building pedals: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrr.html the basic diode ring modulator was my first build, and that site is still the best info i can find on the subject. If you poke around there a little you will also find his far more advanced version, and quite a few other things of interest.

Anyway, PLEASE keep me updated on the remco project. This thing is , well, its a sort of holy grail to me, but for various reasons, always on the back burner. Would be really cool to see it built. I have an original, (in pieces) so any questions, ask me immediately.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:20 am

oh also;

those rotary switches, they just switch between different cap values, if we replaced that with a big ol' variable capacitor...

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:52 pm

how's it going?

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm

amishrobots wrote:how's it going?
Haven't made much head way. The EHX Double Muff enclosure is on the back burner for right now. I have a few ideas for it but nothing set in stone yet.

Right now I'm more or less waiting to get some PCB's made of the Remco synth. The fellow I'm working with is taking classes now so doesn't have much time to devote to projects. I believe around Christmas/Winter break we are supposed to start some serious work on the Remco though. I'll for sure be updating this when some actual headway is made.

I've been meaning to do more research on the Remco chip as well but haven't had the energy to do so. Not to mention it's seems exceedingly difficult to find anything on it in the first place.

Thanks for checking up on this thread though. I was supposed to post this a while ago but kept forgetting. I do appreciate all the suggestions and time you all took to respond in the first place. Like I said I'll try and keep this thread up dated on what's going on. Both with the Remco and the Double Muff project.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 pm

I've been meaning to do more research on the Remco chip as well but haven't had the energy to do so. Not to mention it's seems exceedingly difficult to find anything on it in the first place.
GUYS REALLY ARE YOU REALLY TROLLING ME NOW OR WHATTTTT?!?!? >_<

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh weird, I guess it was in a different thread sorry but I POSTED A LINK TO FULL INSTRUCTIONS AND SCHEMATIC TO BUILD A CIRCUIT DESIGNED TO INVESTIGATE EVERY POSSIBLE SOUND THE CHIP CAN MAKE like about 4 times now

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 pm

It's in amishrobots pcb thread I just bumped

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 am

MKULTRA wrote:Cascade switchable LPB-1's with an I/O between the two LBP's.
150% win.
A very forgiving circuit that can be guided down many sonic wormholes. PNP negative ground - figure it out. Worth the effort if you are gutting old Japanese transistor radios for parts. Lo-fi grit via smelly old wax dipped ceramic disc caps, carbon comp resistors and germanium audio amp/driver transistors.
Swing for the opposite field with vitrious enamel - precision resistors and teflon capacitors for as much sonic transparency as possible. Silicon is cheap, buy a selection of transistors and find one that you can't hear.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Has anybody found any info on that remco chip yet? I'm seriously starting to think there's some weird conspiracy to suppress information on this thing. I mean Texas Instruments was a pretty big company once; you would think that there would at least be a datasheet or something!