Decide me a new pedal project.

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Feral Hymns

Decide me a new pedal project.

Post by Feral Hymns » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 pm

After getting this crazy modded I.C. Muff and Orange Squeezer about wrapped up, I'm still itching to do another effect. I just can't decide what.

I'll be using a Double Muff enclosure for this one. It'll stripped and done up with new decals to correlate with what ever I house in it.

For reference, I believe it to be the same size as say the Small Stone.

The only real catch being that I don't want to drill or add any new holes to the enclosure. I'm attempting to make this look as much like a stock EHX pedal as possible. Why you may ask...simply because I like their look and think it would be fun having something people will wonder about.

Only other thing is I'd prefer for it to be a circuit that already has a ready made PCB I can purchase. Sort of like BYOC, MFOS or the 4MS kits. I'd buy the board and use what components I already have. Then buy what couple of ones I don't or need to replace. Of course, it's not a complete deal breaker if is have to be fabricated though. So long as it's an effect I couldn't pass up.

Aside from those two pieces of of criteria I really have no clue what to make. A couple idea I've thought of or had given to me so far,,,,

First a Boss VB-2 Vibrato (minus the Mode and Rise knob). Not sure what I would use the slider switch for though.

Second was an MXR Blue Box with are 1 or 2 octave down switch. Honestly I don't really need another fuzz/dirt effect at the moment so perhaps just an octave down or up effect might be cool.

Third, was a Muff Fuzz with the slider switching between a Screening Tree treble boost or The Mole bass boost. One knob for those two effects and the other for the Fuzz. I could do the Muff Fuzz knobs as an on/off pot so the treble and bass boost could be used independent of the fuzz. Again though, I don't really need another gain pedal. Having the three in one could be useful though.

Final idea so far is a dual reverb using the Belton Bricks. Definitely one "long", and the other either "short" or "long". A knob for each brick and a switch to go between series and parallel. The only thing that concerns me with this one is the the PT2339 noise issue. I'm reading up on that now and there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it with out extreme filtering.

I'd like for what ever it is we decide to house in this enclosure to be both useable with a more noise set up or regular pop/rock setting. I am very fond of drone-y and wall of sound styles but do, and plan on, playing in more main stream oriented band settings.

Like I said flexibility/universality would be great to have. I realize that's pretty subjective though. So hit me with any and all ideas. Even toyed with the idea of some kind of photo theremin of some sort. Or any other sound generator deal-ie.

Specs to focus on...
- two knows and a two way slide switch.
- single input and output with a decent amount of space (though limited).
- and pre-made PCBs a huge plus, but not a deal breaker.

As always, I thank you fine folks for taking the time to read this far and possibly give suggestions! 8)

Edit: As an aside to possibly to help narrow the ideas down some effects I already have and use a lot on my pedal board are...
- Boss DD-7 (delay)
- Boss SD-2 (dist./overdrive)
- Boss CE-3 (chorus)
- Akai Analog Delay
- Zoom 505II
- z.Ves Seek Wah
- EHX Sovtek Muff
- EHX I.C. Muff and compressor
- ProCo. Vintage Rat
- D-Lab Multi-Plexer

I think that's it. I have a few other odds and ends but currently those are in constant rotation.

RJMyato

Post by RJMyato » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 pm

i didnt read any of thqt just build something dang

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:30 am

RJMyato wrote:i didnt read any of thqt just build something dang
Well thank you anyways :D I guess the short of it all would be, I figured some of you would be hip to a few effects that I may not be. Possibly some inspiration to give a direction to head in at least.

Suppose I could have just simply asked to name off some weird, lesser known pedals out there. An explanation for asking isn't always a bad thing. :oops:

On that note I'm thinking a Boss Slow Gear effect of some kind. A buddy of mine is working on getting some PCBs for an EHX Attack Decay though which is one auto swell I really really want.

Sorry if this is a pointless thread though.

Refund

Post by Refund » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:45 am

I think it's just really hard to comment on, there are maybe like ten possible guitar effects in existence so there aren't any real 'secrets effects' we could tell inform you of.

and while the knobs are easy, finding something that has a 2xknob AND a switch combo make the decision even harder.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:44 am

Cascade switchable LPB-1's with an I/O between the two LBP's.
150% win.
A very forgiving circuit that can be guided down many sonic wormholes. PNP negative ground - figure it out. Worth the effort if you are gutting old Japanese transistor radios for parts. Lo-fi grit via smelly old wax dipped ceramic disc caps, carbon comp resistors and germanium audio amp/driver transistors.
Swing for the opposite field with vitrious enamel - precision resistors and teflon capacitors for as much sonic transparency as possible. Silicon is cheap, buy a selection of transistors and find one that you can't hear.

Last edited by MKULTRA on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Laura91

Post by Laura91 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 am

RJMyato wrote:i didnt read any of thqt just build something dang
Yeah, that was sooo helpful. :roll:

NoizeHack

Post by NoizeHack » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:10 am

atatri punk console with a switch to change between two capacitors?

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The dual LPB is pretty interesting and looks really simple. I may save it for another build later. I'd preferably like to do some kind of modulation effect. I was looking at possibly trying to do a Clari(not). I think I could use concentric pots for it and wouldn't have to drill anything. Not sure what I'd do with the switch though. It's only an idea at this point, I have to see what I can find on the Clari.

The other thought was maybe a Small Stone and Small Clone in one box. Or what I thought would be really cool, two small Clones each hardwired (or maybe just internal switches) to have the Depth control set opposite of each other. Then have the single exposed slider be for circuit order (which is first or second in chain) or to switch between chorus/vibrato modes. Thoughts?

Yeah I realize my original question is a bit tricky to answer. I just thought there's a good chance of members here knowing of some odd/out of production/neat effects. Or might be able to give me a cool effect combo idea. I appreciate the input thus far. No idea is a dumb one so feel free to throw out what ever you've got.

I suppose I could expand it to 4 knobs and a switch. If I was to go with stacked pots in stead of two single ones. That should allow for more possibilities.

Edit - Maybe some kind of ring mod? I don't have my Frequency Analyzer anymore. I'll have to look up what mods can be done to them.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:09 am

May I suggest: http://amishrobots.freeforums.org/remco ... -t349.html

Or, since you mentioned ring mod type things: http://amishrobots.freeforums.org/tink- ... -t298.html

But I'd really like to see you clone the remco. Its really sort of simple, but all those pathways make my head hurt.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 am

I neeeeed to build one of those since i will blatantly never find one at the car boot sale.

Googling for info i found this OS X emulation of the thing, I'll have a play with that in the meantime :) http://www.ghostfact.com/soundfx-machine/

Has too many knobs for what Wonder Council was asking thooo

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:09 am

Ordered a couple of SN76488NF chips from china ^__^
thanks for the info!

Just remembered about the Mego Muson Synthesizer, wonder if there's a schematic for that thing anywhere..?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 am

timdrage wrote:Ordered a couple of SN76488NF chips from china ^__^
Please let us know how that works out for you!
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 pm

If the emulation is anything to go on a modified version of this circuit will be AMAIZNGGG

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Amishrobots, those are both two really awesome ideas and both I'm going to try for sure. The Sound FX thingy with a ring mod added in would be pretty fun. Maybe switchable between the Sound FX being ring modded with an outside carrier or the Sound FX being the carrier to an out side signal.

This ring mod uses the 567 as the carrier right? So you could make it switchable between an that or an outside source? Do you happen to have any demos of the effect? I'd be interested in hearing it.

Timdrage, the Mego Muson Synth looks/sounds amazing. The sequencer or step thingy is really cool. So many little colored blocks :D I did a quick search for schmatics but didn't see anything. I'll pass it along to a buddy of mine that helped me with the Muff and see if he finds anything. Please post back though if you discover one.

Arcade buttons would be neat for the keys though. I think they make enough different ones to make the "keys" color coded similar to the original.

Even if I don't use any of these for this project it's turned into a great thread for ideas and future builds! these are the kind of odd ball effects and sound makers I was talking about in my first post. :twisted:

Thank you all!

For a little contribution the buddy of mine has a source for Schumann PLL PCBs. Well he did but I think they sold out. It was a prototype board anyways I believe. They are still working out the kinks if I read right what he sent me.

No clue how hard they are to build on your own but the above one is ass expensive. Sounds awesome though.

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 am

yeah, the remco begs for ring mod. and maybe an onboard distortion, or at least a cheap 386 power boost, i remember mine seemed to be a pretty quiet signal output, when it was wroking.

as for the tink modulator, its very much based on the "harsh modulator" from this page: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Library/567/567.htm I discovered that page one night while i was drunk, and immediately decided to order a bunch of 567's from smallbear. A decision I simply cannot regret. When they arrived, i breadboarded the harsh modulator, as shown, then tinkered around with it till i found my own slight variation, which gives a much different variety of results, with pretty much perfect carrier suppression.

as for demos, i've got some real shitty footage that barely begins to give an idea what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... 0zEfCBLIkg

i will be uploading better demos sometime soon though!