Adding Speed Control to Cassette Player

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

the_lurking_ear

Adding Speed Control to Cassette Player

Post by the_lurking_ear » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm interested in hacking a cassette player so I can vary the playback speed with a pot. Ideally it would let me go in reverse too. Does anybody have experience with hacking/bending cassette players and how I might do this?
Discipline Jar

"How do I get that chhhhrkrkrkrk sound?" -Sleep of Ages

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 am

An LM317 works fine as a regulator.

the_lurking_ear

Post by the_lurking_ear » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 pm

MKULTRA wrote:An LM317 works fine as a regulator.

Cool, Thanks.
Discipline Jar

"How do I get that chhhhrkrkrkrk sound?" -Sleep of Ages

NoizeHack

Post by NoizeHack » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:29 pm

So you are running the tape deck on lower voltage so the motor runs slower?

This might be more complicated, but if you wanted the rest of the tape deck to run on regular voltage you could use a 555 or arduino or something to adjust the PWM to the motor that spins the tape, adjusting its spinning speed? I don't know, I'm just guessing here.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:42 pm

The VR is on the motor leg, not the entire circuit.

Though honestly, I like the way starved walkmans have sounded in the past. If I had to choose between speed and gnarly distortion, I'd probably go with the latter.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 pm

crochambeau wrote:Though honestly, I like the way starved walkmans have sounded in the past. If I had to choose between speed and gnarly distortion, I'd probably go with the latter.

Only a switch away along with a nice starve pot.

Another speed trick is to find specific pitch ratios that are compelling and make a fixed resistance switch bank - VERY handy when doing cassette based Musique Concrete.

Al.Machine.O

Post by Al.Machine.O » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Best fred in this forum in 2013.
1000 thanx, guys!
:salute:
Laura91 wrote:To all that use feedback loops:

Flooping causes hiccups.

Achtane

Post by Achtane » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:16 pm

What I did with mine was find the trimpot that acts as a fine speed control and wire a 50k pot to it...now it can go so fast that it feels like the motor's being damaged. Recording while it's going way fast is cool 'cause the playback is super low-pitched when you set the speed to normal.

Some decks' guts are laid out better than others so this method's difficulty can range from tedious and annoying to total nightmare.

angelhair0

Post by angelhair0 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 am

i havent looked into it...but would your average deck vs a walkman only running at 3v would make the voltage of the pot needed for this bend vary? or are these motors pretty much the same on all cassette decks? i need to place an order for pots...im totally out, so knowing this would definitely in help in what i throw into my order. i have at least 4 or 5 walkmans with no speed control laying around that i'd love to do this to.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:43 am

angelhair0 wrote:or are these motors pretty much the same on all cassette decks?
No I'd expect larger console decks to use stronger motors that required upwards of 12volts.

If you are going to order pots it wouldn't hurt to get a wide range of them for experimentation.

Or you can always put several pots in series to increase resistance.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am

angelhair0 wrote:or are these motors pretty much the same on all cassette decks?
No, motors vary. I'd research the parts in AC powered decks, for example if it's a DC servo you would probably be better off in modifying the control circuitry. That said, pretty much all of my servo drives already have pitch control...

Also, while it predates compact cassette, I have an open reel machine that runs an 117 volt AC motor.

Moral of the story is: don't assume anything.

But buy the parts anyway, they'll get used sooner or later.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

angelhair0

Post by angelhair0 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:06 pm

crochambeau wrote:
No, motors vary. I'd research the parts in AC powered decks, for example if it's a DC servo you would probably be better off in modifying the control circuitry. That said, pretty much all of my servo drives already have pitch control...

Also, while it predates compact cassette, I have an open reel machine that runs an 117 volt AC motor.

Moral of the story is: don't assume anything.

But buy the parts anyway, they'll get used sooner or later.
i will probably be sticking to mostly dc decks...walkmans and such. but who knows. i might break open one of these big decks at some point.

ive been saving tapes for reels...happened upon bags and bags of mystery reels right before i moved to chicago an couldnt resist cramming them in the car because im waiting for that perfect RTR machine to fall into my lap. jason crumer's set at sux by suxwest sold me.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 am

MKULTRA wrote:An LM317 works fine as a regulator.