Field Recording Gear

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:11 am

MKULTRA wrote:
xdugef wrote:
I have a pretty decent sennheiser shotgun mic I used with the Zoom to record nature sounds.

Also, how is the phantom power?
Quiet pre-amp?
Well the the Zoom has phantom power and the preamps seem fine.. of course when I was talking about using this setup as a bionic ear there was some noise but I had everything maxed out on gain so I'd think that was to be expected.

IMO the preamps are fine for sound gathering and recording live shows.. much better than the Edirol.

I'm sure there is better information elsewhere on comparing them all. I recall reading about people modding one of the Marantz recorders to have better preamps.

Palimpsest

Post by Palimpsest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:20 pm

I've had a Zoom H2 since 2009, which still works perfectly. If you can put up with a slightly cheap feeling build (throw one of the silicone covers on it to fix this) I think that the sound quality is excellent. Love the ease of file transfers. I'll definitely get an H4 some day. H2N is cool too.

I'm gonna buy a shotgun mic this summer. Always wanted one.

Refund

Post by Refund » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm

I'd recommend the Zoom H1
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/

People prefer zoom over other brands just because they're just that little bit cheaper.

the H1 still has the same mic as the H2/H4 range (since they're practically mass manufacturing them at this stage since it's been such a fluke of good design) at I think about half the price of the h2/h4

I've owned (andor) used all 3 and done side by side comparisons and they sound very, very close to the same.

downsides (which both apply to h2-h4 anyway) :

1) it's an active mic so there is a lot of 'handling' noise, you need to put it on a tripod or a bench or something

2) it's an active mic, so you'll also get a lot of wind noise, but using a foam cover on the mic or a windbreaker will fix this up

3) the pickup field is super sensitive and despite what the add says it will pick up anything around and behind the mic, so it's not so good for doing precise directional stuff like

4) to me the sound has a lot missing in the midrange, and there are certain spikes in the high range, this is more of an issue if you're recording quiet sounds than if you're recording loud sounds

also there is only one input (either stereo built in mic, or line in) unlike the h4 which has both the mic, and line in inputs at the same time, also the h1 doesn't have any of the phantom power bells and whistles.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Refund wrote:4) to me the sound has a lot missing in the midrange, and there are certain spikes in the high range, this is more of an issue if you're recording quiet sounds than if you're recording loud sounds

also there is only one input (either stereo built in mic, or line in) unlike the h4 which has both the mic, and line in inputs at the same time, also the h1 doesn't have any of the phantom power bells and whistles.
I agree, use of outboard microphones sounds a lot better. Onboard microphones have a sort of identifying spectrum, in the same sort of way the Behringer mixer does. I like to run a pair of Turner 2300 dynamics for shitty boom box era garage band sounding recordings or a pair of Oktava MK219 condensers when reaching for more dimension.

(my) 1st version H4 does not support both input jack and onboard microphones simultaneously, though the H4n might.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Wed May 01, 2013 3:33 am

crochambeau wrote:My parabolic microphone has unfortunate ducking circuitry that makes getting a well balanced recording difficult, and I haven't bothered trying to bypass it since there's no low end there. Fine for romping through the woods hunting bigfoot, but not archival by any stretch of the imagination.

The results using the parabolic or the H4's end product not archival?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed May 01, 2013 4:33 am

MKULTRA wrote:
crochambeau wrote:My parabolic microphone has unfortunate ducking circuitry that makes getting a well balanced recording difficult, and I haven't bothered trying to bypass it since there's no low end there. Fine for romping through the woods hunting bigfoot, but not archival by any stretch of the imagination.

The results using the parabolic or the H4's end product not archival?
I have never paired the two. The Bionic Ear parabolic has an extreme hard wired ducking circuit to avoid blowing out ears when aimed at something loud. It's highly sensitive and it essentially gates all audio, rendering the microphone more or less useless.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll see about conducting surgery.

Probably won't help the telephone bandwidth any. To be fair, the sounds are legible, it just doesn't sound good to me.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

elizabeth Veldon

Post by elizabeth Veldon » Fri May 17, 2013 5:55 pm

i use a tascam dr40, i have a shotgun mic with pistol grip but get allot of noise from it when i record through the mic inputs of the tascam

anyone know how to fix this problem? is a balanced stereo mic better?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri May 17, 2013 5:58 pm

elizabeth Veldon wrote:i use a tascam dr40, i have a shotgun mic with pistol grip but get allot of noise from it when i record through the mic inputs of the tascam

anyone know how to fix this problem? is a balanced stereo mic better?
do you mean handling noise?

You need a cradle for it..

elizabeth Veldon

Post by elizabeth Veldon » Fri May 17, 2013 6:04 pm

i use this: %24%28KGrHqR_%21m%21E4sb8es89BORBZ%29VqW%21~~0_3__19463.1331060919.1280.1280

i'm thinking i need two mics or a stereo mic.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri May 17, 2013 6:07 pm

I have an older sony stereo mic that I use for recording live shows but it's not a shotgun mic and it's not as sensitive.

The other is a Sennheiser stereo shotgun mic that is really sensitive and I got a gun grip with a cradle for it. It works pretty well although even if you bump the cable it may pickup the contact.

elizabeth Veldon

Post by elizabeth Veldon » Fri May 17, 2013 6:09 pm

i tend to use a video camera for recording live shows (well if they're going to be loud as i've killed two recorders before)

perhaps i should have a chat with the people i buy my kit from

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri May 17, 2013 6:12 pm

elizabeth Veldon wrote:i tend to use a video camera for recording live shows (well if they're going to be loud as i've killed two recorders before)
yup.. the sony is for my video camera..(well orgiinally I bought it for a sony datman about 20 years ago). I don't think I've encountered any small video cameras that had built in mics that were particularly good for loud music/noise. Although I believe tascam is now selling a field recorder that is also a video camera.

elizabeth Veldon

Post by elizabeth Veldon » Fri May 17, 2013 6:20 pm

i'm a complete tascam whore so i'll probably pick that up