They're pretty cheap too..

http://tascam.com/product/dr-v1hd/

elizabeth Veldon

Post by elizabeth Veldon » Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 pm

oh that's nice

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 am

elizabeth Veldon wrote:i use a tascam dr40
Could you give me a short pro/con rundown?
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

elizabeth Veldon

Post by elizabeth Veldon » Sat May 18, 2013 2:14 pm

the onboard mics are pretty sensitive (they pick up the flapping of great tit's wings atabout five feet), it's got an overdub, you can record in high bit rate wav and it fits in my bag -yea i know but that's a big thing for me

xdugef

Re: Field Recording Gear

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 am

MKULTRA wrote: Portable / Handheld Digital Recorders
I need recommendations.

edited to reflect the need for this thread.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 am

MKULTRA wrote:Is your affinity due to economy or solid performance?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 am

MKULTRA wrote:
xdugef wrote:It's pretty cool to walk around with headphones on and point the mic around and hear things that you can't heard with your naked ear.

Bingo.

xdugef

MKULTRA wrote:
xdugef wrote:
I have a pretty decent sennheiser shotgun mic I used with the Zoom to record nature sounds.

Also, how is the phantom power?
Quiet pre-amp?

xdugef

MKULTRA wrote:
crochambeau wrote:My parabolic microphone has unfortunate ducking circuitry that makes getting a well balanced recording difficult, and I haven't bothered trying to bypass it since there's no low end there. Fine for romping through the woods hunting bigfoot, but not archival by any stretch of the imagination.

The results using the parabolic or the H4's end product not archival?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:41 am

MKULTRA wrote:
elizabeth Veldon wrote:i use a tascam dr40
Could you give me a short pro/con rundown?

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:40 am

Interesting reading through the opinions in this thread, a field mic is my next purchase.

Currently looking at the tascam dr-40 or the zoom h2n, both similar prices.

Stereo recording is my intended use, in industrial environments (indoor and outdoor) for a project I am planning.

The details for the tascam say that it can be powered externally by USB bus, so does anybody have any experiences of this?
I just wonder how long 3xAA batteries will last and if one of those external battery packs for mobile phones would give me a longer life. Hoping to take some long background industrial recordings, maybe a full 12 hour working day at a time.
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 am

I have but a mere DR7, but I've had it for 10 years and it sounds GREAT.
Field recordings are real fun when your using microcassettes or equally lofi gear too.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 am

Fletcher wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:40 am

The details for the tascam say that it can be powered externally by USB bus, so does anybody have any experiences of this?
I just wonder how long 3xAA batteries will last and if one of those external battery packs for mobile phones would give me a longer life. Hoping to take some long background industrial recordings, maybe a full 12 hour working day at a time.
Yea I imagine if you want to record for 12hrs you are going to need a pretty substantial battery pack but if you can use USB power there are plenty of options for large capacity rechargeable battery packs

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:27 am

xdugef wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 am
Fletcher wrote:

Yea I imagine if you want to record for 12hrs you are going to need a pretty substantial battery pack but if you can use USB power there are plenty of options for large capacity rechargeable battery packs
Looks like my limiting factor is the FAT32 file format, If I record in .wav I will be looking at 3 hours as there is a 2gb file limit. Can stitch files together though, but I don't know if I need to be there to hit record again or whether it does it for me.
Dropping down to 320 mp3 and I can get my 12 hours in one hit.

Plenty to think about here.
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

jliat

Post by jliat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:38 am

Fletcher wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:27 am
xdugef wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 am
Fletcher wrote:

Looks like my limiting factor is the FAT32 file format, If I record in .wav I will be looking at 3 hours as there is a 2gb file limit. Can stitch files together though, but I don't know if I need to be there to hit record again or whether it does it for me.
Dropping down to 320 mp3 and I can get my 12 hours in one hit.

Plenty to think about here.
Being picky here, but FAT32 limits any file to 4gig. WAVs can only ever be 4GB because of their header where the size is kept. So even with NTFS WAVs are only ever 4gb max. So you cant stich them together. So if you can format the recorder with somethung other than FAT32 you could use another format. Certainly MP3 - which has no limit!

Having said that a 4gig MP3 44100 htz 128kbs stereo is around 74 hours... so you could certainly record 12hrs...

But there are also loss less formats - FLAC etc.

"Long-time operation of over 20 hours is possible using just the internal batteries" from DR-40 spec

"As an extension, RF64 is a BWF-compatible multichannel file format enabling file sizes to exceed 4 GB that has been specified in 2006."

DR-40 sup[orts BWF but not sure if it can go greater than 4gb...

So it looks like with either you can record in mp3 up to 20 hrs on internal batteries using FAT32