Cheap Analogue Synths?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

the_lurking_ear

Cheap Analogue Synths?

Post by the_lurking_ear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:24 pm

So I'm looking for a used analogue synth in the $300 range, something like the Realistic/Moog MG-1, and I thought other people might be in the same situation. I'm wondering if there's any unknown 80s synths that fit the bill. Know of anything?

Otherwise I might just wait for used minibrutes to come down in price, but that could take a while.
Discipline Jar

"How do I get that chhhhrkrkrkrk sound?" -Sleep of Ages

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 pm

If you are alright with bright, "punchy" synth sounds, you can't go wrong with a Juno-6, though it's pretty big (compared to smaller mono synths like the MG-1/Rogue).

Soundwise, It benefits a lot from some distortion, but it's not really a "phat" analog sound, so much as a punchy lead synth... has 6-note polyphony and an arpegiator which is nice, plus you can even make it work sort of like a mono synth if you want.

I had one for $200 dollars not that many years ago. It was too big to keep (though pretty lightweight for its size, if that means anything to you). I miss having it around.

There's also the new MS-20 rebuild, thought that may be more expensive (I seem to recall hearing prices as low as 300 and as high as 600, so I can't say).

I have to admit, I am secretly dreaming about saving up a bunch of money to splurge on one, though it's probably not going to happen.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 pm

I would really like to buy the Arturia Minibrute...

Palimpsest

Post by Palimpsest » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 pm

I heard $600 on the Mini MS20. I want one more than a Minibrute.
Mophos and Evolvers are fairly cheap and of good quality, but don't have a vintage sound.

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:33 pm

http://www.ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=32558

reposting the cheap midi controllers list

m-audio keyrig 25
m-audio O-ZONE 25
m-audio Oxygen 25 (old version)
edirol PCR-1

MrBook

Post by MrBook » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Cheap luxury cars
My name is Rufus, and that's the trufus.

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:32 am

300 bux will buy you a monotribe which is a fun little synth but one you may find severely limited as it's basically a slightly bigger monotron with a couple extra knobs.

about the cheapest "fully featured" [ie: built-in keyboard, knobs to twiddle] analog synth right now is the arturia minibrute which is about 550 bux i think and a pretty amazing little synth but still way harder to find than it seems like it oughta be.

dave smith makes a desktop module version of the mopho that lingers around the 400 dollar mark but it really lacks in knobs/ hands on programming ability + you gotta have a midi controller to play it with though that in itself is not a huge drawback. their evolver desktop synth is right around the same price and pretty neat as well.

around the 600 dollar price range will be the new korg ms20 reissue, and i will be buying the shit out of one of those as soon as they drop.

in the 800-900 dollar range which is kind of the "high end of the low end" are the dsi mopho keyboard and the moog slim phatty, i own both of those myself and both are well worth saving up for.

the moog is good for bass type sounds and throbbing spacy drones and the mopho is a much colder/ noisier/ more plasticky electro sounding synth...i tend to use it a lot for atrax morgue/ death industrial type tones which it handles very well.

prices just go up from there.... whatever you do just don't get into modular haha.

crochambeau

Re: Cheap Analogue Synths?

Post by crochambeau » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 am

the_lurking_ear wrote:So I'm looking for a used analogue synth in the $300 range /snip/ I'm wondering if there's any unknown 80s synths that fit the bill.
Unless you are really, really lucky and happen across something from someone who doesn't bother to check going rate of anything before putting it up for sale, I doubt you'll find anything. As I understand it, in synth world "unknown" tends to translate into "incredibly valuable".

I spy a PAiA Fatman thin single osc MIDI synth on the bay with a BIN of $200.

xdugef

Re: Cheap Analogue Synths?

Post by xdugef » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:00 am

crochambeau wrote: I spy a PAiA Fatman thin single osc MIDI synth on the bay with a BIN of $200.
There are the occasional deals.. although in regards to the issue of finding a cheap Realistic/Moog MG-1 .. the last time I looked only really beat up Realistic ones were going for $300. But I suppose they'd be worth it.

In the meantime you should seriously consider getting a Monotron .. if you have cravings for analog this might tide you over for not much money.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Not sure where the hell I got the $300 figure for the MS-20 Mini. :doh:

Maybe I was thinking of the big-ass Stylophone (which, despite its high price, seems pretty cool... and a great PE synth from some of the sounds I've heard).

the_lurking_ear

Post by the_lurking_ear » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:56 pm

¼ dead wrote:If you are alright with bright, "punchy" synth sounds, you can't go wrong with a Juno-6, though it's pretty big (compared to smaller mono synths like the MG-1/Rogue).
I really like the sound of this, especially the arpeggiator. I could probably do some nasty chromatic or modal runs. I will look around for one, even if it isn't in my price range right now.
In the meantime you should seriously consider getting a Monotron .. if you have cravings for analog this might tide you over for not much money.
300 bux will buy you a monotribe which is a fun little synth but one you may find severely limited as it's basically a slightly bigger monotron with a couple extra knobs.
I have the original monotron and love it. I'm seriously considering a monotribe with the midi kit.

I'm also watching for old yamaha analogs like the CS-10. Those seem to be close to my price range. I'm really hoping to find some kind of synth in less-than-perfect condition, which a collector wouldn't want but I could use.
Discipline Jar

onrust nv

Post by onrust nv » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm

ONRUST NV INDUSTRIAL AUDIO

the_lurking_ear

Post by the_lurking_ear » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Very cool shit, especially the rocket. I'll definitely look into these if they start selling them for a reasonable price in the US.

At this point I'm probably going to buy the Monotribe. It's cheap, it's got a bit of the MS-20 sound, and with the sequencer I can easily set up patterns or drones to play while I work with the pedals. AND it works on the same 9V daisy chain as my pedals.
Discipline Jar

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:11 am

i wonder what you are looking for in terms of tone and features? for $300 I'm sure i may even be able to build you something? MAYBE

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow yea, all those sound pretty sweet. That Waldorf is just sexy though. For sure going to have to remember that one and keep an eye on eBay. :D

There's one on for sale now that's a little cheaper then the others, has the "Make an Offer" thing too. No clue how much shipping would be to the U.S. though. Just in case you didn't look/see it the_lurking_ear.