Grand piano project...Craigslist...

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Feral Hymns

Grand piano project...Craigslist...

Post by Feral Hymns » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/msg/3702808883.html
Project grand piano... :shock:

Doesn't someone here have one of these or very similar? I recall seeing some drool worthy pictures of one with various mics/speakers mounted to it.

If I wasn't planing on moving in less then a year and had a spare bedroom I would be half tempted to make an offer on it. Pretty sure you could get it for far far less then they are asking.

Al.Machine.O

Post by Al.Machine.O » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 pm

ask for the paper castle thingie on the right too, so you could make piano castle noise!
Laura91 wrote:To all that use feedback loops:

Flooping causes hiccups.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Before MKULTRA barges in with his calling card "DO IT FAGGOT"-type response, there's like three pianos every month that are curbed or sitting in someone's house for free on cg. I've never done it myself but that's just because I don't have the room... well, I might, but my dad would kick it right back to the curb before I ever got a chance to mic it if i did get one. Also, don't bother picking it up if you don't have a, well, pickup [truck].

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:36 pm

True, true. Just haven't seem one disassembled. Would make moving...easier...possibly...Like I said though I can't get it even if I really really wanted to. Besides the logistics of it, like you it would be back out to the curb before I could ever mess with it hah. I do like the idea of it though. I would totally use is as a reverb. I'm sure you could get some massive, blissful sounds from it if you tuned right right.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 am

"new strings have been purchased for when its complete."

Believe me now and listen to me later.
You Do Not Want To Re-string A Piano.

If you value your time avoid de-strung pianos.

No Piano Is Ever Free. However, the rewards of that CL give away outweigh the cost.

Logistics are the key when it comes to any give away piano. No piano is ever free. Trust me, I own a truck. Mass + volume = pain in the ass. Then factor in location. Common sense, planning and timing will make the move easier during acquisition and execution. A simple ramp made from OSB and a couple of 2 x 4"s works wonders. Rope, cargo or lifting straps and having a couple of strong helpers along for the ride is a must. Social engineering works a treat at the right time of day - get those neighbors involved.
Right time of day and alcohol.
The nice thing is pianos are much easier to unload than load.

My old Ranger, east bound and down………… Image

A reverb feedback system.

A shortwave radio driving a soundboard mounted 5" speaker. The cast iron frame is contact mic'd in 2 places. The soundboard is only in contact with the frame at a few points so it vibrates quite freely. The strings are set in motion via the bridges. The resonance of the strings is transferred to the frame, picked up by the contact mic's and sent on for processing. A piezo pre-amp from a wrecked Ovation guitar handles the signals from the contact mic's onto the Bonehead Engineering " Skull Crusher" that pushes the frame mounted 12" Celestion.

This set-up has been a pleasant surprise. Self generating feedback that is very subtle at low volumes. Ghost voice reverb.
Excessive volume sends the system into a Xenakis style wall.

fire

Post by fire » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 am

listen to me later and believe me now...
nice contact mic, hipster.
MKULTRA wrote:Image
[17,963] days since last fuck given

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

fire wrote:listen to me later and believe me now...
nice contact mic, hipster.
MKULTRA wrote:Image
Made it meself.
Good stuff that Harviestoun.[/size]

Al.Machine.O

Post by Al.Machine.O » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 am

fuck this ugly big piano shit! send me some bottles of this beer!!!
Laura91 wrote:To all that use feedback loops:

Flooping causes hiccups.

fire

Post by fire » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 pm

MKULTRA wrote: Good stuff that Harviestoun.

yeah, that caught my eye, im a few quarts low.
[17,963] days since last fuck given

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 pm

That´s why noise instruments are garbage, people start with a piano and end up getting drunk.
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:28 pm

See, this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I'd want sound samples of. I'd have to go through a lot of bullshit to pull the trigger on a piano pickup, and it damn better sound as good as MK makes it out to be or the rick is not worth the reward.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Open that image in audacity (or similar). That´s one way to listen to photoshoped stuff.
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

Feral Hymns

Post by Feral Hymns » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Those are the pictures I was speaker of. Never get tired of seeing them. :D

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:54 pm

No such thing as a free piano.

Truth.

If I had the room & money, I'd be tempted to go grand. The string aspect would be a concern, but, end of day I'd follow my gut on it and decide from there.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:53 am

MKULTRA wrote:"new strings have been purchased for when its complete."

Believe me now and listen to me later.
You Do Not Want To Re-string A Piano.

If you value your time avoid de-strung pianos.

No Piano Is Ever Free. However, the rewards of that CL give away outweigh the cost.

Logistics are the key when it comes to any give away piano. No piano is ever free. Trust me, I own a truck. Mass + volume = pain in the ass. Then factor in location. Common sense, planning and timing will make the move easier during acquisition and execution. A simple ramp made from OSB and a couple of 2 x 4"s works wonders. Rope, cargo or lifting straps and having a couple of strong helpers along for the ride is a must. Social engineering works a treat at the right time of day - get those neighbors involved.
Right time of day and alcohol.
The nice thing is pianos are much easier to unload than load.

My old Ranger, east bound and down………… Image

A reverb feedback system.

A shortwave radio driving a soundboard mounted 5" speaker. The cast iron frame is contact mic'd in 2 places. The soundboard is only in contact with the frame at a few points so it vibrates quite freely. The strings are set in motion via the bridges. The resonance of the strings is transferred to the frame, picked up by the contact mic's and sent on for processing. A piezo pre-amp from a wrecked Ovation guitar handles the signals from the contact mic's onto the Bonehead Engineering " Skull Crusher" that pushes the frame mounted 12" Celestion.

This set-up has been a pleasant surprise. Self generating feedback that is very subtle at low volumes. Ghost voice reverb.
Excessive volume sends the system into a Xenakis style wall.