Noise Machines, Devices & Makers.

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

For giggles, I will put clearcut demonstration of certain pieces of equipment on my to-do list. This will of course probably take me weeks or months to get to...

Since no one is prepaying me for demos, I have no qualms with taking my time. Hell, I'll even listen to requests to hear this or that, no promises I'll comply, mind...

Audio will be captured to Zoom H4 direct, sans effect, recording at 16/44.1. I'll even take a picture of the setup including the recorder to alleviate confusion.

I agree with the consensus that it would be nice to hear MKULTRA devices, but we're in "want in one hand, shit in the other, what do ya got?" territory there.

I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

Repeater

Post by Repeater » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 pm

FireAlarmPoet wrote:Hey repeater, how did that TV/tape combo work out? Do the two connect in any interesting way i.e. does the recorder capture audio off of the tv or something else?
I've yet to use the tape recorder. I use the radio and the TV, which has been hacked into a primitive oscilloscope.
Repeater Electronics:
www.hellospiral.tumblr.com

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Works well acoustically or contact mic'd.Image

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

" When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone, in the air. You can never capture it again. "

I use that Eric Dolphy quote quite often because I believe in the concept. Sometimes sounds exist for as long as they exist and that is that.

With most of the things I build I have pretty good idea of what I want them to do. Typically, the concept works within the confines of the thought experiment. Getting outside, discovering sonic surprises is where it is at.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:34 pm

digging around photobucket, I didn't find much that seemed appropriate for this thread, but I did find these:

lint remover!

junk guitar (now dismantled :( )

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:28 pm

MKULTRA wrote:" When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone, in the air. You can never capture it again. "

I use that Eric Dolphy quote quite often because I believe in the concept. Sometimes sounds exist for as long as they exist and that is that.
And other times they are snared and shared; and sometimes, the parties who snare them are celebrated, because the hunt can be so daunting and yet, occasionally a catch so supreme to garner a sense of victory.

Recording is simply an extension of process. As a proprietor of the field, I know you can see both sides of the fence.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:46 pm

MKULTRA wrote:" When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone, in the air. You can never capture it again. "

With most of the things I build I have pretty good idea of what I want them to do. Typically, the concept works within the confines of the thought experiment. Getting outside, discovering sonic surprises is where it is at.
tl;dr: "I'm too ashamed of my output to do anything but stare at a bunch of tapes I recorded collecting dust."

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey jon, why did you change your account? I'd actually feel kind of shitty if it was because of me :(

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Okay, triple post but this is the last one for now I swear:
crochambeau wrote:Since no one is prepaying me for demos,
Wait, so normally you do? How?
crochambeau wrote:Audio will be captured to Zoom H4 direct, sans effect, recording at 16/44.1.
Showoff :lol: Aaaah, I kid, I kid. I'd kill for one of those things.
crochambeau wrote:Image
Pardon my french, but what the fuck is this thing? I assume it's a battery but the inductor schematic symbol confounds me. Moreover, why all the diodes(?) in the center? Moreover still, how does this thing make noise and not, you know, just sit there (I assume the big bolt ends at either corner are pos & neg but they're not connected to anything so to me it's like looking at a AA battery with a resistor duct-taped to the cylinder)?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:54 pm

FireAlarmPoet wrote:Okay, triple post but this is the last one for now I swear:
crochambeau wrote:Since no one is prepaying me for demos,
Wait, so normally you do? How?
Don't you hang out at troniks too? That was a thinly veiled joke at making commitments on the internet.
FireAlarmPoet wrote:
crochambeau wrote:Audio will be captured to Zoom H4 direct, sans effect, recording at 16/44.1.
Showoff :lol: Aaaah, I kid, I kid. I'd kill for one of those things.
[show off mode: on] yeah, I picked it up non functional for $40 and fixed the holy fuck out of it. [show off mode: off]
FireAlarmPoet wrote:
crochambeau wrote:Image
Pardon my french, but what the fuck is this thing? I assume it's a battery but the inductor schematic symbol confounds me. Moreover, why all the diodes(?) in the center? Moreover still, how does this thing make noise and not, you know, just sit there (I assume the big bolt ends at either corner are pos & neg but they're not connected to anything so to me it's like looking at a AA battery with a resistor duct-taped to the cylinder)?
Passive ring modulator, diode ring and two transformers, which just so happen to be potted in the same package in this example. Eagle eyes will notice that it's not wired up in this pic, I did rectify that.

Another thinly veiled joke right there.

NoizeHack

Post by NoizeHack » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 am

crochahbeau I see you are really into fixing old broken stuff, but do you know much about designing circuits? I have been just modding circuits by ear and fucking around, but do you recommend any design books? I have most of the Mims books.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 am

NoizeHack wrote:crochahbeau I see you are really into fixing old broken stuff, but do you know much about designing circuits? I have been just modding circuits by ear and fucking around, but do you recommend any design books? I have most of the Mims books.
Frankly, I'm sort of a clobbering dim-wit when it comes to electronics. Mims is great. I'd say once you have an understanding of power supplies and voltage rails, and single stage circuits, just string that shit together and have fun.

If you've digested Mims and want to move into heavier texts there's a ton here:

http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

If you can dive into that and not be humbled you're a better person than I.

Back to the previously scheduled programming:

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 am

Rules. Completely. 1959 era static with exceptional ability to twist in obscure, late night station stupidity.Image

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 am

i.e. a friggin' radio.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 am

Punk As Phuk.Image