Turntable noise?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:How would you time stretch in real time? You stretch the time that already exists. You'd need Doc Brown to invent that pedal.
You could launch the listeners away from you with a cannon. They would catch up with previous waves, stretching their perception of it.

Of course, pitch artifacts will probably also occur, then there's that whole eventual mess business.

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 pm

time stretching plugin lets you change pitch of audio that has a fixed pitch. its the same plugin you use to slow speech way down without changing pitch or making it sound cheesy. autotune started as a syncing algorithm for oil seeking sonar on drilling rigs. all you need to know is that the turntable moving 33 RPM = 1x pitch. so scratching or going backwards would give you through zero synthesis using the feedback signal as the waveform updating in real time. look at the electro harmonix freeze. its really just granular synthesis but the waveform comes from real life.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:28 am

crochambeau wrote:
Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:How would you time stretch in real time?
Pedal with some kind of reverse vacuum cleaner type device which accurately delivers lines of ketamine up the noses of the audience?

Necrobot

Post by Necrobot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:21 am

EATyourGuitar wrote:look at the electro harmonix freeze. its really just granular synthesis but the waveform comes from real life.
That kind of ties in with another thing I've really been looking into. I've been trying to find a drone synth pedal/unit kind of thing. Playing very slow swells in a melodic fashion. I just hate lugging around my synth so i was hoping to find something like the sleepdrone but a little less dull with a less obvious sounding LFO. The drone commander looks sweet but again, it's huge.

Ideas?

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:49 am

I can build you a dronelab kit. Or i can build you something from scratch. I know the sound your after and its the same sound im after. For my modular synth that im building I'm using a cloud generator as the oscillator section. It has 8 saw oscillators on the same pitch but you can spread the swarm by knob or CV. Throw in some modulation for spread and volume. Add a white noise source maybe. Modulate the white noise. I can just add a module every month and it never ends.

Necrobot

Post by Necrobot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:55 am

EATyourGuitar wrote:I can build you a dronelab kit. Or i can build you something from scratch. I know the sound your after and its the same sound im after. For my modular synth that im building I'm using a cloud generator as the oscillator section. It has 8 saw oscillators on the same pitch but you can spread the swarm by knob or CV. Throw in some modulation for spread and volume. Add a white noise source maybe. Modulate the white noise. I can just add a module every month and it never ends.
I'd pay good money for something like that man. PM me if you're serious.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:27 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Necrobot

Post by Necrobot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:36 am

MKULTRA wrote:Derailed
EATyourGuitar wrote:through zero synthesis[ /quote]

Wow!

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:43 am

I want a cloud synth so bad I will do anything that involves no money and as little effort as possible.

Refund

Post by Refund » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:20 am

about 4-5 years ago, I bought a set of serato records (you can buy them seperately) and then got a hacked version of a software dj setup designed to play the records.

I got them to do mostly scratching, but the the lag was horrendous even at 6ms, compared to actually scratching vinyl it just felt horrible, if you were running an input, it would probably give you another 2-3 ms delay, and then rigging it to RECORD the input (which wouldn't even be possible without something like max/puredata/reactor and some clever virtual patching) it'd be a horrendous nightmare (mind you, that it could be an AMAZING horrendous nightmare for all I know)

long story short, I don't think you'd get it to work, very well, and besides having instant pitch control of sorts (which you could do a much easier job doing with a midi controller) you really wouldn't be getting an benefit from using the turntable as a control device, when running timecoded vinyl.

I think these days abelton has support for digital dj decks and you can do all kind of cool shit with it, look into that, a great idea for something to do is bound to come up, just don't expect the response time to be instant.

as far as real turntable music is concerned, with a few effects thrown in after the turntable outpur, you can get some crazy awesome sounds from turntables, especially when you cut the motor and just warble the record by hand, and plenty of dj's throw some no input mixer tricks into the mix as well.

otomo yoshide has done some cool things, look up 'plucks'

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:48 am

yeah I have used rubber bands on the tonearm to pluck. I have used the hum of needle disconnected. sticker noise etc.. I been there. notice I said you need a FAST computer to do this realtime audio scratching. what makes you think it wont work? each piece in to the bigger picture is already working quite well. I have max for live. but there is no reason you even need ableton live. you can do it all in max and the computer will be less laggy. Mrs Pinky does for max what serato vinyl does to serato. it gives you high resolution realtime vinyl tracking. imagine that tracking signal can control the pitch of audio being processed in real time. almost exactly like autotune. we know lots of performers are using fancy computer setups like protools venue for a live performance with autotune. now is the time. its just about doing it and putting money into it. I'm not skeptical at all about the technology. I have seen these things.

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:53 am

MKULTRA wrote:Derailed
EATyourGuitar wrote:through zero synthesis[ /quote]

well since you brought it up
I have played with one. pretty cool but I think it excels at bad ass LFO or sound design more than it does for pitch tracking a keyboard in the traditional sense.

SilenceMotherfucker

Post by SilenceMotherfucker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:56 am

DJHUMAN is here. There's multiple ways that you could go about manipulating feedback loops via turntable-like methods.

Serato Scratch Live, Traktor, and a few other digital DJ programs offer control-vinyl functionality, and you could probs get an SL1 (the latest version is SL4) box for like $300 used. Alternatively, you could load a cd with a ton of feedback loops and get a CD turntable with vinyl functionality. (This, unfortunately, doesn't offer the ability to lift and drop the needle, it merely offers the ability to scratch and make them go super fast or super slow.) There's all sorts of different CD tables with vinyl functionality, but the cheapest available are:

CDJ-800 MK1 - $250ish used
C.324 - $200ish used
Denon Dns1000 - $200ish used

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:23 am

Well there are battle records with feedback samples on them. The first battle record ever made had a feedback thing right in the beginning. Qbert and mixmaster mike won the first time they used it in competition. Sounds like we are just regurgitating early scratch battles. Go buy a repress of battle breaks

Dont bring the computer or cdj's into it if it does add anything really. And yes you can needle drop on the new cdj's. The only addvantage to serato or cdj is that you use your own samples instead of buying a record. The new cdj can load from a thumb drive, sd, mp3 cd/dvd, audio cd, or laptop.

My earlier post was about doing it in real time. No one wants to innovate? :(

Obsolete Office Equipment

Post by Obsolete Office Equipment » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:22 am

SilenceMotherfucker wrote: Alternatively, you could load a cd with a ton of feedback loops and get a CD turntable with vinyl functionality. (This, unfortunately, doesn't offer the ability to lift and drop the needle, it merely offers the ability to scratch and make them go super fast or super slow.) There's all sorts of different CD tables with vinyl functionality, but the cheapest available are:

CDJ-800 MK1 - $250ish used
C.324 - $200ish used
Denon Dns1000 - $200ish used
A friend of mine is a dj, he had 2 CDJ's. I was thinking on trying this (floops on a cdr) or just other samples. Walked in had my swag on a hundred thou