Turntable noise?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Necrobot

Turntable noise?

Post by Necrobot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:09 am

I played a show the other night and I got talking to this DJ guy, and he showed me all his gear and it was awesome. I was thinking if you could run feedback loops into a turntable and play with the disc? Speed up/Slow down the signal etc.

I'd love to hear that.

*Considering the purchase to find out if it works!

MKULTRA

Re: Turntable noise?

Post by MKULTRA » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 am

Necrobot wrote: I was thinking if you could run feedback loops into a turntable and play with the disc? Speed up/Slow down the signal etc.
Turntables are output only devices. ( Transcribing, lathe cutters etc not included. )

You can speed up and slow down the platter speed on most any machine. Find one that
has 16/33/45/78 speeds - play a 78 @ 16 and open the gates of Hades.

Otomo Yoshihide's unorthodox Kung Fu...............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0PeXeNllro
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:38 am

Never dicked with a turntable (Mine is too expensive to warrant tearing it apart) but tear off the head and attach a piezo or something to the wires. An input jack or whatever.

I know Lucas Abela started off doing turntablism, hit him up. He's a real nice guy.

ablablablablabla

Post by ablablablablabla » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:44 am

i once added an extra arm to a shitty turntable, got drunk, played an impromptu-gig at a party and finished my set by destroying it. one of my best gigs ever.

:muffy:
"I dance very slowly. The entire thing takes several months, you don't really notice it"
- Bipolar Joe

Necrobot

Post by Necrobot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:38 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Necrobot wrote: I was thinking if you could run feedback loops into a turntable and play with the disc? Speed up/Slow down the signal etc.
Turntables are output only devices
Hm.

But you can mix through a reel to reel (i think). If you can mix sounds live and record at the same time that way i'm sure there's a way you could do it.

Grab the mix from the mixer. Put it through and record it live to a vinyl. With some time coding hardware I'm sure you could figure it out. Somehow. HMMM.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:01 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Turntables are output only devices. ( Transcribing, lathe cutters etc not included. )
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:36 am

Set the turntable on a stand with a tactile transducer built in.

There's your input.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:05 am

Yeah, as far as I know there's no turntable that has a "legit" input on it. Although the actual needle is basically like a big contact mic and people have swapped it out with a tape head or even a floppy disc reader before:

http://www.f7sound.com/taperecord.htm

So maybe it's possible to put an input where the needle is, but really, why bother? You ideally want the repetition of the needle over the base or whatever record you put on it, correct?

If you can get one for cheap, I highly reccomend it. I used one for a year or so and it produced awesome walls. UNfrtunately it now sits in a dump after the motor finally gave out :(

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:15 pm

numark had a product 15 years ago that would let you plug an mp3 player directly into the tonearm socket via a 3.5mm mini headphone jack. its just a stereo attenuator into the 4 pin cartridge socket like any technics turntable (same socket for any dj style turntable). but when you are not using the motor or platter on the turntable to control the speed of playback then it is completely pointless. it is essentially nothing more than a wire that lets you plug into gear you can already plug into anyway. I scratch and DJ though I haven't touched it in over a year. whatever happened to scratching and DJing? not noisy enough for you? scratching is way fun but the investment in at least one turntable and a scratch mixer ($400 to $1000) may scare off the DIY noise types.

your original idea of scratching a feedback loop is possible but it would require a fast computer, an interface, turntable, mixer max/msp, time stretch plugin, Mrs Pinky plugin, Mrs Pinky vinyl, AND you need to make the max patch to do it. you could then scratch the pitch of your feedback loops and cut the volume ON/OFF very fast with the scratch mixer. you could even do motor off (power down) effects and listen to the software glitch as it approaches complete stop. you could even choose what happens at motor off.

gordon

Post by gordon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 pm

if you want to make noise with a turntable bump into it while a record is playing. or melt a record or carve it up with a knife and then play it. don't do this with a nice turntable that you listen to nice records on because it will fuck up the needle.
G KP F TS Q

EATyourGuitar

Post by EATyourGuitar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:53 pm

You can totally do it on a nice table just dont use nice needles. Use old broken needles. I would put a piece of clear tape over the needle to restrict the movement and protect it from snapping off in the first 5 seconds. it will still make sound.

Necrobot

Post by Necrobot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:25 pm

EATyourGuitar wrote:a fast computer, an interface, turntable, mixer max/msp, time stretch plugin, Mrs Pinky plugin, Mrs Pinky vinyl, AND you need to make the max patch to do it. you could then scratch the pitch of your feedback loops and cut the volume ON/OFF very fast with the scratch mixer. you could even do motor off (power down) effects and listen to the software glitch as it approaches complete stop. you could even choose what happens at motor off.
That sounds about right. An expensive setup yes but worth checking out for sure. Though, i'm sure there's a unit out there that can time stretch in real time. Someones built that pedal no doubt.

Hm. Interesting.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:51 pm

How would you time stretch in real time? You stretch the time that already exists. You'd need Doc Brown to invent that pedal.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:15 pm

We all have our own times, man...

These little things can surpass the speed of light...

...so why can't a pedal?

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Whatever mark you got for physics, take away ten.