Show us yr DIY!

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

FireAlarmPoet

Re: Show us yr DIY!

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 808 times
White noise/relaxation machine with 37 contact points, 1 of which is a pitch bend (the brass fastener in the center) and 36 of which colectively double as a crude sort of patch bay. Effects range from voice changer-like sounds to glitchy digital delays to dirty distortion and then some (an LM386 is featured prominently in the circuit). Switched output, though I think what I need to do is either bridge the speaker & 1/4" output grounds and/or add a NC reset power button, because switching between the line out and built-in speaker is temperamental at best.

I don't think I'll be seeking out any more tiny household hardware screw eyes in the future, not for this kind of work. They're a bitch to deal with as they don't take to solder particularly well and they heat up real quick; some here are actually loose because they got so hot that they burned a hole larger than their initial, drilled pilot holes.

I used 100% recycled wires: good for my conscience, bad to work with. I need uniformly smaller, more flexible ones in at least 5+ different colors. The resulting wire bundles were stiff and quite unruly even after zip-tying them.

I wish I had a better photo; I took some videos of the finished product in action, but they went on a little too long and showed basically the same kind of thing the first two videos did, so I decided against uploading them. No gut shot, sorry, but I can provide a wiring diagram if there's interest. There was definitely more than 37 points that could have been made into patch points; I just chose the 'essential' ones, and after completing the project, thus far I'veo nly found about half of those 'essential' points to actually be interesting.
DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in the past on this account may not accurately reflect my current beliefs, especially those prior to 2017.

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:51 pm
White noise/relaxation machine with 37 contact points
excellent
FireAlarmPoet wrote:
I don't think I'll be seeking out any more tiny household hardware screw eyes...they don't take to solder particularly well
shit metal covered in shit chrome, sand or file for better results, best to avoid
FireAlarmPoet wrote:
No gut shot, sorry, but I can provide a wiring diagram if there's interest.
lets see both, this project is more interesting than you think

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:

I don't think I'll be seeking out any more tiny household hardware screw eyes in the future, not for this kind of work.
If you buy machine thread you can simply crimp ring connectors and avoid soldering to plated alloy.

Looks good!

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 pm

^Ring connectors are a good idea, will definitely have to get some more (believe it or not I don't have a stash of those, despite having a stash of pretty much everything else I could think of for bending/building).

What is machine thread? All I get through google is sewing-related.

Similarly, do you know where I can get matching nuts and bolts with super small diameters? Like screws used to hold cassette tapes together, only with longer shafts (giggle). I'll occasionally go to Ace if I don't feel like waiting for something I ordered online, but their sizes only go so small.
DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in the past on this account may not accurately reflect my current beliefs, especially those prior to 2017.

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:07 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Similarly, do you know where I can get matching nuts and bolts with super small diameters? Like screws used to hold cassette tapes together, only with longer shafts (giggle). I'll occasionally go to Ace if I don't feel like waiting for something I ordered online, but their sizes only go so small.
search for "threaded rod"...

https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Rods-St ... e=16410711

comes in many finish types, avoid the fancy stuff that is coated with zinc and chrome, cold steel is the best for soldering

should be able to get it at ace, if they dont have it then ask, my local ace guys will get me whatever i want

if you order online remeber the lengths of rod will affect shipping, 72" rods will probably cost you plenty so get the shortest possible

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:01 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 pm
Whoa, yeah, me too.

Simple answer is: machine thread will accept a nut, whereas threads designed to penetrate wood, sheetmetal or drywall are far less equipped to do so.

Regarding search terms, it becomes useful to know the name of thread types. M3, M4 are metric, 6-32 (etc) are SAE.

So, 6-32 eye bolt will return something close to what I'd mean, in a variety of shapes and sizes of course. You can size the thread UP on this by going 8-32, 10-32 (common in rack mount, along with 12-24 server tower stuff), or DOWN by reducing the first number (odd numbers are available below 6)

There's a tipping point between size and cost, where going smaller will increase your cost based on complexity/popularity and going up will increase it on materials/handling. Amazon owns Small Parts now, so you can lose yourself in that rabbit hole online (at the expense of ethics depending on how you judge yourself) if you want to see just how fucking small you can go.

You'll face added cost unless you buy in bulk from a wholesale or trade supplier, because more people want to just buy a threaded hook they can screw into their kid's woodshop class picture frame, and you've got to buy nuts...

For soldering, surface prep is key and most non-specific to soldering items are not conformal to the needs to soldering, so experimenting with abrasives or chemicals (like rosin) might benefit you, but it's so much easier to service down the road if you're just spinning off a nut.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am

I was going to have a cool electro-mechanical device purpose built for a fest that was slated to occur last weekend, but the venue fell through and the fest was cancelled so I didn't bother sifting through all of my shit to find that one specific motor I want to put it all together. Stay tuned, I guess...

I built this sliding shelf instead:

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:38 am

98 pounds of premium lamb meat
20181024_102120.jpg
20181024_102120.jpg (245.57 KiB) Viewed 501 times

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Worship the sacrifice.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:52 pm

This bend didn't come to be as it was a frustrating clusterfuck, but I'm posting these here to give you guys an idea of my process when starting a bend, and just in case someone else finds this same toy:
flash2.jpg
flash2.jpg (49.5 KiB) Viewed 433 times
CBlayoutVAR1.jpg
CBlayoutVAR1.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 433 times
CBlayoutVAR2.jpg
CBlayoutVAR2.jpg (58.58 KiB) Viewed 433 times

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm

continued:
flash1.jpg
flash1.jpg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 432 times
flash3.jpg
flash3.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 432 times
For some reason, they felt the need to add some weight to this undeservingly complex jig for the speaker:
dafuq.jpg
dafuq.jpg (114.14 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Is that just a bag of metal?

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:08 pm

little bits of fukushima

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm
Is that just a bag of metal?
Yep. Weird, right?
The jig was set up in a way so that the speaker is held in place between the orange circle with the eight-pointed star pattern of holes (as can be seen from the outside, looking at the top of the flashlight) and that orange container with the three nubs in my hand, which is roughly the size of a plastic soda botle cap.
Strange thing is, the speaker doesn't fit into the container itself, as it's meant to be sealed by screws with the baggie of metal inside: without the baggie, it's empty.
It's not like the weight is really needed, either, as the speaker is held in place primarily by pressure from above, whereas the container is below the speaker.
Why they didn't simply glue the speaker in like the majority of all cheap toys is beyond me, let alone why this comparatively complex jig with a hidden container had to exist in the first place.

Maybe they hid drugs in it and I just got lucky (unlucky?) :mrgreen: