Octave/Pitch Shifter

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Minnie

Octave/Pitch Shifter

Post by Minnie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Heyheyy

So Im looking to get a pitch shifter/octave pedal for my setup and I was wondering which one to get?

I know there's the UO300 by Behringer which is prob the cheapest but I read about what people think about Behringer—and yeah, seems like cheap toys that break easily. Im really just looking for something cheap since I have a low budget.

My dream would be to get a PS2/PS3 by Boss since I heard that they're great for feedback loops/mixer setups.
So any suggestions in between the UO300 and the PS2 are much appreciated! :help:

Misomusist

Re: Octave/Pitch Shifter

Post by Misomusist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm

I have the Behringer US600 and it's working fine for me, I'm not super harsh on my pedals tho' I don't crank on the knobs or stamp on them, though I do throw 'em in a bag to carry them.

You might want a cheap rack unit, unless you really need the pedal style, they can be hardier, and can often be found cheap on craigslist, I picked up an ART for $15 and a Quadraverb for $20.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm
I have the Behringer US600 and it's working fine for me
Cool yeah this one looks good. How is the possibilities in terms of shaping the sound?

diurnalburdens

Post by diurnalburdens » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 am

Danelectro Chili Dog has the best octave/2 octave down sound. And they are pretty cheap. However there's a slight volume drop and it tends to cut off some of the high end of the original signal.

Arion Octaver is damn good and pretty cheap.

I remember really enjoying the Boss PS -5 though it doesn't have the same lofi pitch shifting quality as the PS2/PS3. Damn versatile though.

My favourite nowadays is the Dwarfcraft Wizard of Pitch. Pitch shifts like a PS2/PS3 and has a variable speed crossfade between clean signal and pitchshifted. Does +1 and -1 octaves. Plus a random pitch shift function.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 am

Minnie wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:40 pm
Misomusist wrote:
I have the Behringer US600 and it's working fine for me
Cool yeah this one looks good. How is the possibilities in terms of shaping the sound?
It's got a bunch of modes, in pitch shifter you can raise and lower up to 2 octaves, it's something like +/- 3,5,7,oct,2oct (he says without checking a manual), then there's harmonizer mode, which goes to +/- octave in smaller increments, which I've never really figured, and a trem bar mode where pushing the pedal causes the sound to go from neutral, up or down to the selected level, and a wobbly mode where it'll sort of rubberband around it, it's got a dry out only which turns the other input to a wet out, and it's got a CV control in, for warping it with a pedal. It's probably based off a Boss.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 am

Misomusist wrote:

It's got a bunch of modes, in pitch shifter you can raise and lower up to 2 octaves, it's something like +/- 3,5,7,oct,2oct (he says without checking a manual), then there's harmonizer mode, which goes to +/- octave in smaller increments, which I've never really figured, and a trem bar mode where pushing the pedal causes the sound to go from neutral, up or down to the selected level, and a wobbly mode where it'll sort of rubberband around it, it's got a dry out only which turns the other input to a wet out, and it's got a CV control in, for warping it with a pedal. It's probably based off a Boss.
Sounds great, so do you think its worth it for the money? Since the build quality seems kinda cheap im afraid it'll break. Maybe Id should get another one from another brand? Or would you say its fine? Cause I know a place where I can get this one and its really tempting im just wondering if its worth the money. Im also not treating my pedals hard/rough so maybe its fine.

-V-

Post by -V- » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm

I had the us600 but sold it after a couple of days. Just didn't enjoy using it, I found it sterile and was instantly disappointed.

The pitchshifter on behringer fx600 multi fx pedal was more enjoyable.

Guess it depends on what you want to do with it and how accurate you need it to be.

But forget all that anti behringer snobbery :D

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:33 am

I recommend the Digitech Whammy. I never used the DT version, but the 5th gen. version is solid. It's much dearer than the Behringer, but will last you years.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:41 am

-V- wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm
I had the us600 but sold it after a couple of days. Just didn't enjoy using it, I found it sterile and was instantly disappointed.

The pitchshifter on behringer fx600 multi fx pedal was more enjoyable.
Hmm okey interesting! The fx600 is also a possibility. Im just gonna use it for making noise/ambient music. So together with other pedals in feedback loops and for contact mic recordings. So how come you find the fx600 more useful? Im curious about it and wonder how it affects the sound!

-V-

Post by -V- » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 am

I was using the pitch shifter to beef up synths.

With the fx600 I could just adjust the knobs and get satisfying sounds.

The us600 is tied to specific notes ( IIRC - going back a couple of years ) so a less fun approach.

There was also something about the sound / tone I didn't like. Instant nope. Couldn't really put my finger on what it was but it was back on ebay within hours.

I'd definitely recommend the fx600. You'll probably get it cheaper than a us600 and comes with a simple but perfectly acceptable delay.

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:21 am

-V- wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 am
I was using the pitch shifter to beef up synths.

With the fx600 I could just adjust the knobs and get satisfying sounds.

The us600 is tied to specific notes ( IIRC - going back a couple of years ) so a less fun approach.

There was also something about the sound / tone I didn't like. Instant nope. Couldn't really put my finger on what it was but it was back on ebay within hours.

I'd definitely recommend the fx600. You'll probably get it cheaper than a us600 and comes with a simple but perfectly acceptable delay.
Hmm yea im really not sure which one to get. It seems like a lot of people really like the us600 in feedback loops and says its perfect for a cheap pitch shifter that sometimes even work better than the boss that it's based on. The fx600 seems to have less knobs and since its a multi-fx its a jack of all trades so i cant image it would work better than the us600? I guess when you use it for synth and need to hit specific tones but im more interested in just fucking up the sound. :twisted:

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:26 am

More knobs doesn't always make a piece of kit better, but it is more fun to play with.

On a side note, there's no Behringer snobbery, they get a bad rep because their shit breaks real easy. Two Behringer pedals I got came in the post pre-broken, but I know a guy who had the same Behringer mixer for years, and I know Tim Drage likes them because they're cheap.

Honestly, I think the Digitech Whammy will be the only pitch shifter you'll need, and you can do wicked cool divebomb effects. It took me a couple of years to get over the fact that I should just buy something a little dearer than I liked at the time, in order to save money down the road having to buy another piece of kit because the cheap thing broke.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:16 am

Get both.

(Early) PS -2 can be pushed into oscillation nicely. 2 seconds of delay is useful. The pitch shifter has an organic graininess to it and I find it tracks quite well when used conventionally. Use the tuner out as a CV input with a simple mod.

PS-3 can closely imitate early Whammys when using the expression mode and control input. Set the range between of sweep between pitch A and pitch B. Dual outputs is a plus. I think the PS - 2 tracks better but dual pitch shift is very handy.

Let me know when Behringer pedals approach the build quality, durability and dependability of BOSS pedals.
Save your money and invest in something that will retain a higher value over time.
Avoid Behringer at all costs.

PS - 2 purchased in 1988.
PS - 3 purchased in 1995.
Never an issue, problem or fault.
Last edited by MKULTRA on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:13 am

I have the US600 but it gets little use.
Isn't it a PS-5 clone?
It sounds soft/spongy to me :shrug:
Can spit some interesting digital fizz in a floop between dist. though...
PS-2 is ok and does have a sharp feel. Let mine go to someone desperate for it.
PS-3 is king. No doubt at all. Hard. Precise(ish). Stereo. Reverse/pitch/delay (No.7) is fun. Stereo!
Get the behringer and play with it maybe with an eq...?
You can always sell it on if you don't gel.
:)

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:18 am

Although...
The PS-3 is not through stereo.
Rather independently pitchable outs on a couple of modes only.