How did we all get here?

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

Jackie Kennedy

How did we all get here?

Post by Jackie Kennedy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:16 am

I dont know if theres already a thread abouut this out there, but I was wondering how everyone here discovered noise?
Who were some of the first noise artists you heard, and what made you decide that it was something you wanted to do?

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:26 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:37 am

Agoraphobic Nosebleed.
G KP F TS Q

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 am

Accident. I fucked up plugging in pedals one day, and this nasty assed screechy bullshit came out. I panicked, figured I'd blow my shitty amp or something and yanked everything out. Showed a band mate a while later, and he pointed me in this direction.

dwemmy

Post by dwemmy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 am

This band on RRRecords, a christian noise band, and their release from around 1986 or 1987. Can't remember their name but I loved what they were doing. Pissed I sold the album- I was offered $100 for it. sold! dumb.
Derek Baiiey R.I.P. 1930-2005
UVFICliberal secular humanist

TamzakTheMighty

Post by TamzakTheMighty » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:08 am

Noisefest 1 here in my hometown.
And a performance by Rosenkranz 5 years ago.

Jackie Kennedy

Post by Jackie Kennedy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:06 am

dwemmy wrote:This band on RRRecords, a christian noise band, and their release from around 1986 or 1987. Can't remember their name but I loved what they were doing. Pissed I sold the album- I was offered $100 for it. sold! dumb.
ive been wondering if there were any christian noise groups.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:18 am

There are quite a lot. I mean, I think the definition of Christian noise is a practicing Christian making noise, if that's it then there are a good amount. What makes them Christian noise, sound wise, is pretty much beyond me.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:27 am

dwemmy wrote:This band on RRRecords, a christian noise band, and their release from around 1986 or 1987. Can't remember their name but I loved what they were doing. Pissed I sold the album- I was offered $100 for it. sold! dumb.
Blackhouse

Alyxander

Post by Alyxander » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:07 am

I'm first and foremost a metalhead (as one can probably assume because of the goatsex in my avatar). I was looking up the black metal band Zyklon-b on Napster 12 years ago. A track called Zyklon-b zombie from this intriguingly named band 'Throbbing Gristle' came up, and naturally one thing lead to another.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:44 am

Jackie Kennedy wrote: ive been wondering if there were any christian noise groups.
Clang Quartet

Alyxander

Post by Alyxander » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 am

Jackie Kennedy wrote:ive been wondering if there were any christian noise groups.
The only one I've heard of is Blackhouse. I dont particularly see a point in distinguishing one's self as doing 'christian noise' anymore. Blackhouse, from what I understand, distinguished himself as 'christian noise' as an alternative for christian fans to the predominantly perversion/occult/morbid themed groups of the time. Now I believe there's so many themes amongst practitioners of noise, there's really not much need to say, "HEY, noise isn't all about sodomy with kindergartners, dissecting cadavers, prostitute mutilation, serial killers, the Holocaust, or occult rituals."

I havent heard Blackhouse, so I cant say for sure if a christian message is expressed. If there is it would be interesting...I havent heard much noise or power electronics that would be anything but a peculiar vessel for christian ideology to be expressed.

raperies (like draperies)

Post by raperies (like draperies) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 am

I havent heard Blackhouse, so I cant say for sure if a christian message is expressed. If there is it would be interesting...
The message is very christian. Check out some of the song titles- http://www.sonic.net/~blackho/BHdisco.html

As for why people distinguish as to why its Christian- because thematically thats what its about. The only modern one I can think of is Clang Quartet, but the dude reenacts the crucifixion and warns against the 7 deadly sins. All through noise. Its an incredible performance, despite the fact that I think the message is hogwash.

As for how I got into this- I was looking for weird shit in high school and found it. Punk leads to hardcore leads to noisecore leads to noise. Had an early band of mine booked on a noise show (called the Great Milwaukee Earfuck) thinking we would fit in sound like a more distorted/less good radiohead, heard what noise ACTUALLY was, and never looked back.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 am

for me it might have been "fun again" by half japanese off let them eat jelly beans..a comp released by jello biafra in 81..throbbing grisstle. around the same time..one record really stood out was flux of pink indians "the fucking cunts.." that came out in 84 I think.
After that we were detuning our guitars and playing walls of improv thrash noise to pissed off skin heads at robin van arsdols's wearhouse in orlando.
Singing through distortion pedals, that type of shit.

for the record, the first zyklon-B was originally a band from fla, we played early d.i.y. shows with another bunch of locals called "death".

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:05 am

wrong turn in Albuquerque