THE RITA - Shark Knifing 7" (SNSE075)

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Sun May 31, 2009 6:41 am

timdrage wrote:People on the noise boards sure do get upset when someone has the audacity to release a noise record.
the problem is the overly flowery descriptions being proffered are simply retarded, just say its harsh, its wall noise, its by XXXX, and let the release sell itself, dont pretend that the noise itself is something when part of the point is for it to sound like nothing, to me it is clear that this product is consumed based on its advertising, not its merit, kinda like fast food...
peace, love, happiness

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun May 31, 2009 6:50 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

SNSE

Post by SNSE » Sun May 31, 2009 7:05 am

Holy Shit.

I appreciate the sincere comments from red soundwave ("ho-baggery" excluded), obsolete office, raytownian, and a few others.

You other jokers - love & pop, monstres, gordon - you've moved past personal opinion into pointless shitting on this thread. Really not necessary at all

Everyone else: whether you think of yourself as a "wall noise" fan or not, this is an intense little noise record that you will not regret having in your collection. Give it a try. Expand your horizons. Live a little.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun May 31, 2009 7:09 am

kinda like fast food...
Yeah noise records are just like fast food except in, you know, almost every imaginable respect.
Please explain what this has to do with the sounds on this release?
Please post this reply to every thread on every messageboard which is about a piece of music without lyrical content. Music is abstract, especially noise. Every record ever has had a concept/artwork which does not neccessarily 100% connect to the music. That's why the music is music and the cover art is art. That's why you even HAVE cover art or a physical record object at all. It's ART. You could just anonymously play harsh wall noise live, or release it white label, or actually go out and slit the throat of a shark, but those would be different things entirely.

ANYWAY what am I even arguing for? Point remains that there's nothing wrong or suprising with releasing a harsh noise record with a goofy mock-'extreme' theme like this. People especially on this board seem to have some weird contrary attitudes about any 'popular'/'expensive' noise record which comes out.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun May 31, 2009 7:11 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest » Sun May 31, 2009 7:13 am

Tim, the problem is still not about expensive or popular - it's about noise record, conceptual art, or how to call all that shit that moves thousands of noise artists with little or big names.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun May 31, 2009 7:13 am

P.S. listening to the audio samples it seems to me like the goalposts have shifted in 'noise' for some people. This new catagory of "wall noise" is actually just pretty much what I always expected of Harsh Noise, and a lot of 'noise' records people talk about on these boards turn out to be more like some sort of music when I actually hear them.

SNSE

Post by SNSE » Sun May 31, 2009 7:14 am

Tim - thank you. A sane and coherent post.

I am having a hard time discerning whether some of these comments and questions are sincere or not. You guys can't really be this new to all this?

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun May 31, 2009 7:15 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun May 31, 2009 7:18 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 am

MKULTRA wrote:
MKULTRA wrote:this product is consumed based on its advertising, not its merit
this product is consumed based on its advertising, not its merit
What about this did you miss Tim ?

( consumed is the operative )
The bit that was particularly insightful or relevent to the actual record in question or successfully communicated a legitimate point beyond OH NOES A RECORD FOR SALE OMG CONSUMERISM? :P

Did you expect an actual shark to leap out of the hole in the 7" and slit your throat?

It's a noise record no different to any other with a cool looking cover and a silly concept and a recording of some noise. Sure you could debate the validity of that but why in this thread especially? Start a general philosophical/political thread about noise being a record collector nerd world of emperor's new cloths consumerism or 'selling out' or whatever but, you know... are you going to do it every time someone announces a noise record release on a noise forum? Because I don't see what makes this particular record so different to any other or so contentious.

I now wish I'd bought it when i saw a copy yesterday. All publicity is good publicity I guess. :)

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun May 31, 2009 7:24 am

P.S. how come 4 pages of replies and no 'jumped the shark' jokes yet? :)

Post by Guest » Sun May 31, 2009 7:44 am

Because I don't see what makes this particular record so different to any other or so contentious.

THE RITA HN

Post by THE RITA HN » Sun May 31, 2009 8:31 am

the material on the 7" is made up partially of WWI hungarian bayonet abuse and samples from 60s shark hunting documentaries.
the website samples reflect the densest areas of the material.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Sun May 31, 2009 8:32 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.