GRANULAR SYNTHESIS COMP

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

killing raven sun

GRANULAR SYNTHESIS COMP

Post by killing raven sun » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:37 am

GRANULAR SYNTHESIS COMPILATION

TRACKS NEEDED, MUST CONTAIN GRANULAR SYNTHESIS
WhiteWarlock wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm
HADRON – VST and AU
OPEN SOURCE
The Hadron plugin is your ultimate granular synthesis tool. In fact it is such a complete implementation of granular synthesis we’ve renamed the technique to particle synthesis. The plugin is of course free and open source.

For your convenience, we’ve made a preset system allowing you to quickly get started making music with it. All presets have selected “expression controls” to allow creativity and flexibility, and you can morph between presets for ultimate creativity. The plugin comes with a basic set of presets, and you can buy additional preset packs to expand your sonic palette. This kind of presets is called “states” in Hadron.

Hadron can be used as a synthesizer or an audio effect. It can also seamlessly morph between different sound processing methods, so you can make the plugin gradually change from synthesizer to audio processing mode. This is all part of the state morphing system, accessible via the big 2D joystick control.

You can also use live sampling as a sound source for manipulation with Hadron, as well as audio files and live audio input.

http://www.partikkelaudio.com/

Fletcher

Re: GRANULAR SYNTHESIS COMP

Post by Fletcher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:49 am

As long as the deadline isn't this week, I'm in. Gimme a couple of weeks and I will contribute something.
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 am

2 weeks sounds right
not too rushed, not too distant
i suggest Nov, 19 as the official deadline
three full weekends of granular noisemaking should be enough :)

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 am

lets make the deadline 11/23, those are good numbers

the release format needs deciding, i would chip in for some pro cassettes but bandcamp is good enough for me, or do both

theme: ???

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:51 am

killing raven sun wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 am
theme: ???
how about 'something that happened on 11/23'?
could be personal, could be historical, doesn't matter

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:52 am

Isn't that the date when the pilgrim cannibals genocided the indigenous "indians"
and stuffed them with bread and vegetables
then days later dressed up in there clothes as they ate them with & pumpkin pie?
Last edited by WhiteWarlock on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:55 am

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:52 am
Isn't that the date when the pilgrim cannibals genocided the indigenous "indians"
and stuffed them with bread and vegetables
then days later dressed up in there clothes as they ate them with & pumpkin pie?
true story.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:48 am

Just been playing with Hadron within FLStudio. You can pretty much automate everything so I've linked up the X-Y touchpad thing and imported some raw .pdf data as source material. Shit sounds mental. Think I will have some fun with this.
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 am

Eye was using Hadron last night with recording param automations
making flyoffs for montaging/mixing
may try figuring out how to resource edit the raw internal waveforms if possible

Hadron can be used for many purposes in sound design. It can be used as a synthesizer or an audio effect, and it can seamlessly morph between different sound processing methods. Some of the typical uses of the device provide fat analog monosynths, granular delay effects, time stretching, formant shifting, transient manipulation, vocal synthesis, FM synthesis, sonic clouds, live sampling and sound morphing. The synthesis engine is controlled by parameter states, and you can morph between states using the 2-dimensional X-Y pad. Specific timbral manipulation within each state can be controlled by the four expression sliders.
How does it work?

The core of the synthesis engine behind Hadron is an extremely flexible implementation of a granular audio generator. Due to it’s ability to generate all known types of granular synthesis (and a few new variants as well), we propose to use the term particle synthesis to describe the audio processing method.

To control the particle synthesizer engine,we’ve built a system for easy manipulation of the large number of parameters involved in the synthesis process. This system gives the user access to a six-dimensional parameter space of sonic control. Currently, over 200 parameter values are used to define how the synthesis process is executed, and consequently what sound you will get out of it. One such set of parameter values is called a state (you might be familiar with using the term preset for such a set of parameter values, but we’ll use that term later to define a collection of states that will work together). Each state has 4 expression control mappings, providing the user the expressional ability to modify a subset of the 200+ parameters values defined in the state. A preset in Hadron consists of 4 states, and a method for interpolation between these states. Interpolation between states is controlled by a 2-dimensional control surface, with one state residing in each corner of the control surface. Since a state represents a specific mode of granular audio processing, this system lets the user interpolate between different sounds and different sound processing modes. In addition to the 4 states, a preset also contains selection of up to 4 waveforms used as sources for the synthesis process. Which of these waveforms is actually used is defined by the state, and the graphical user interface displays an activity indicator on each of the 4 waveform selectors roughly indicating how much each waveform is currently used in the synthesis process. The waveforms can be read from sound files, they can be live sampled audio fragments, or the source can read from realtime audio input. When realtime audio input is used, Hadron acts as an advanced “granular delay” effect. This is activated by selecting audioInput as the source waveform in Hadron.

Helpful Info
The different types of Hadron states
http://partikkelaudio.com/plugin_free/d ... tates.html

Parameter states in Hadron can be divided into categories depending on what kind of processing the state provides. The state names start with a two- or three-letter prefix signifying the state’s type.

fx: This type of state lets Hadron be used as an audio effect for live audio input. These are normally used with audioInput selected as the waveform source(s).
tfx: Similar to the fx state type, these states provide processing of a live audio input signal. The tfx states require midi input to make sound, as the audio output is muted when no midi notes are sent to Hadron.
gr: Audio synthesis states, where the perceived pitch is constituted by the grain rate (the number of audio particles/grains created per second)
gt: Audio synthesis states, where the perceived pitch is constituted by the transposition of sound inside each audio particle/grain.
http://partikkelaudio.com/plugin_free/docs/index.html

Hadron State Documentation Index
Synth States with
Grain Rate Pitch definition
Synth States with
Grain Transpose Pitch definition
Effects States
Midi Triggered Effects States

Hadron State Documentation Index

The states are divided into categories, representing different modes of functionality for the Hadron plugin.

Hadron can be used as an effects processor or as a synth. When used as a synth, pitch can be determined by grain rate (number of audio particles per second) or by grain transpose (the pitch inside each audio particle). When used as an effect there is also two different modes: one traditional effect mode where audio in is always processed and sent out, and another "midi triggered effect" mode where the Hadron output is muted until a midi note is received.

Synth States with Grain Rate Pitch definition

grBandpassAnimator1
grBlackBells
grCartoonVocals
grFilterSynth
grReedyFormantStepSync
grReedyOctEfx
grReedyThinAnalog
grReedyThinBadRadio
grTrainletDistribution
grTrainletFM1Randmask
grTrainletRandmask
grTrombone

Synth States with Grain Transpose Pitch definition

gt16thsStagger
gtLivesampling1
gtParticleCloud
gtPitchTimeAndMix
gtSamplePlayback
gtSnapper
gtSnapperRhythm

Effects States

fxCritterSpray1
fxFallingRobos
fxGrainFlanger
fxGrainFlanger2
fxGrainVerb
fxGroctaver
fxHadronVerb
fxLowpassRand
fxOctremolo
fxParticleSpray
fxPitchModFMEcho
fxRecessionVerb
fxRecessionVerb2
fxRisingRobos
fxSnapper
fxSprayDelayPitch
fxStepFreeze
fxStepFreezeSync
fxStopTime
fxSyncDelayPitch
fxTransientPitcher
fxTwinPeaks

Midi Triggered Effects States

tfxHarmonyFM
tfxPitchModFMEcho
tfxRisingSmoke
tfxVoicePitcher

full descriptions of each http://partikkelaudio.com/plugin_free/d ... tates.html

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:02 pm

I can contribute some money to a physical release. $100-$150 is doable for me, even immediately (I need to double check my PayPal balance first). I need time for a track, though, because I practically live at work now.

I am likely going to do everything with GranuLab. Maybe in 10 years time, we can do another granular synthesis comp, once hardware gran synths become commonplace and affordable. I'd buy a Behringer Tasty Chips clone in an irregular heartbeat.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:09 pm

https://www.onthisday.com/day/november/23
https://www.timeanddate.com/on-this-day/november/23

personally calling/claiming this: in 1963 Doctor Who debuts on TV
The longest running science fiction TV show first aired with an episode called An Earthly Child on the British Broadcasting Channel. The show that has had 11 different actors play the lead role, follows the time-traveling adventures of Doctor Who, who uses the Time and Relative Dimension in Space or TARDIS to jump around in time and space.

if we actually agree on that theme....
really could care less...
my track experimental/noise will probably sound like old 1-4 Doctor Who episode anyways
it usually does for some strange reason :P
have that original episode around here somewhere on VHS
An Unearthly Child or also called 100,000 BC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Unearthly_Child

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:10 pm

let me contact some "ringers" also for comp tracks
can get some people involved with their "Clouds"
yet that is obviously up for respektful debate with active participants here...

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:36 pm

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:09 pm
if we actually agree on that theme....
really could care less...
yeah, fuck it, lets just keep it simple and focus on the granulation as theme

all else goes

the doctor who thing is perfect

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:45 pm

AtomicCloud good for making granulated samples
simplistic easy for using
http://gersic.com/atomic-cloud/

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:48 pm

someone get in contact w/ XDUGEF(A****n) for having him make comp track...
plus any of the "old regulars" from around here...
create good active roster
c90 best trax?
90+ minute webcomp?
time per track????
typing out loud...