Historical recollection of noise listening

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

DonaldKrump

Historical recollection of noise listening

Post by DonaldKrump » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 am

Everyone list their narrative. I'm a terrible writer, but very interested in other people (totally an introvert, but I like stories). Mine:

- hit a metal streak early with NIN music videos, then Pantera, then straight to heavier like Morbid Angel and stuff from Metal Blade Records.
- Pantera brought me straight to Neurosis which brought me to Tribes of Neurot. Lead to many others too.
- Almost at same time Melt Banana brought me to wackier hardcore and somehow ended up with East/West noise comp
- Favorite hardcore band in late 90s was by far Coalesce, was on their message board constantly. Their threads of playlists and "what you listening to" brought me to explore Goat, Black To Comm, Black Sand Desert, Gerogerigege, Metaconquerer, Wolf Eyes, Wilt, Streicher, and Prurient and Sickness love. Oh, Cadaver Eyes too, good stepping stone.
- The Board plus the Japan's best known and always wanting to hear heavier and more crushing things, lead to here many times.
- Looking for gear, while secretly wanting to make noise and my electronics love (now gone) to make my own effects
- Now, over 2 decades and lots of internet based stuff I'm hear. My love grows. Making noise is a needed selfish act.
- I like all of you like peers since I've been lurking so hard since mid 2000s.
- Hereafter, this will be the source of noise to check out to connect to when I'm randomly not internet anti-social.

Yours?

¼ dead

Re: Historical recollection of noise listening

Post by ¼ dead » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Everything I know I learned from my older sister.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Listening to John Peel late night radio 1 when I should have been asleep because school the next day.

He introduced me to drum & bass, metal, hardcore, jazz, experimental, rave and everything else. He played noise too but I don't really recall it. I remember sessions by Autechre, Kemistry & Storm and Melt Banana blowing my mind.

I got caught up in techno and clubbing around 2000 then went to see Squarepusher live when he played at my uni. It was amazing and he ruined me with live bass gabber. I needed more extreme sounds.

I then went to every edition of the Glade Festival in the UK where I caught pretty much all of the Warp roster plus the likes of Venetian Snares, Hellfish, Scotch Egg etc. Great times.

Noise came soon after, in small doses. I saw Russell Haswell in London and he blasted out a fairly ruthless acid noise wall.
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:44 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:09 pm
:!: I had no idea you even had a sister. If you're fine with sharing, could you please elaborate?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I can't reliably remember how it all started for me: it's more like a cloud of influences than a chronological series of events. I was definitely a latecomer and at the time [~2004-2006] I was more interested in collecting veideo games, drawing and writing down story ideas. During that time, I figured recording my thoughts onto tape would be a more accurate medium for getting those ideas down and of course that tape recorder later proved invaluable for my first noisemaking experiments... that, or I had a school project I needed to make a fake commercial for and that's how I got the recorder. As I said, I can't recall the specifics.

Music didn't really interest me until I met someone who'd become my most intimate friend throughout middle-to-high school. He showed me that ANYONE could create music and you didn't need to play instruments: all you really needed was a computer. But before that, somehow I'd gotten into heavy metal and weirder music via DragonForce and iamerror respectively. How I came across MySpace at all is anyone's guess - I didn't even care about having internet access for years until then - but that's how I got introduced to the idea of independent musicians making weird music, and being able to distribute it across the internet for free as a download. This was probably ~2007-2008, with DragonForce coming to my attention ~2004-2005; it's not like these bands were super "out-there" but for me at the time they were totally different from the pop music I'd been raised on.

Through MySpace I eventually came across Necroanal, one of my first experiences to noise. Initially I hated it, but later grew fascinated with the idea of making albums out of essentially radio static with an isolating, industrial aesthetic. Through Necroanal I also came across Smell The Stench and later RRRecords: my first exposures to netlabels and 'real'labels, respectively. However I also discovered Nihil Obstat aka John Lithium at roughly the same time, so I don't know who was first or who influenced me more, but he expanded my horizons by making ambient, emotional-sounding noise which really appealed to me as an angsty teenager. He also had a netlabel too, though I'm fairly certain STS came before.

I experimented with breaking electronic toys I.e. what I called "circuit bending" at the time ~2007-2008, another concept I'd somehow come across, but I didn't 'seriously' start doing noise until 2009, with my first album being Insomniacs Anonymous under the name My Lovely Figment (then abbreviated to MLF). Guess what label I put that out on? I also started several side projects/'joke' bands with my best friend around the same time, though they ultimately didn't last long, in part because drawing and coming up with our own characters and stories was still a priority for us. After that the rest is history: a blur or cringe-inducing forum posts, crashed computers from questionable illegal music downloads, halfassed new projects, near-quit moments, life changes, etc. I didn't intend for this to get so wordy but that's what happens.

TL;DR internet and boredom, with plenty of naiveté.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:44 pm
¼ dead wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:09 pm
:!: I had no idea you even had a sister. If you're fine with sharing, could you please elaborate?
Oh, yeah. I have two sisters. One is a year older, the other four years.

My eldest sister was/is a dysfunctional weirdo bitch, and she liked all the usual dysfunctional weirdo bitch things, a lot of which rubbed off on me. A lot of my own tastes and interests and influences grew out of hers. She was never really into "noise", per se, but she was into a lot of things that were "noise-adjacent", and it was just a natural progression for me from that. She was even the first person I heard about Merzbow from, though I never listened to him until years later, and my sister's only remark was something along the lines of his music being "some crazy shit" (I'm paraphrasing a comment I heard ~20+ years ago). I didn't even have any context for it at the time, but the name (we are uncultured Mississippi trash, so she pronounced it "muhrz-boh"), as well as the gist of her statement, stuck with me for some reason. So did that pronunciation.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 am

when I was a child I liked sticking my fingers into the window fan and making it stopped

TerminallyBlue

Post by TerminallyBlue » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 am

I was a big extreme metal fan in puberty (13-15 or so), listened to a ton of brutal death, tech death, grind, goregrind, all that stuff. Then I found myself liking goth/post-punk way more, and since "goth" today means about 10 different genres I eventually landed on industrial/power electronics (the first thing I heard was Whitehouse's Wriggle Like a Fucking Eel), and got hooked almost instantly. Started on the classics, Gristle, Whitehouse, Cazzaza, Gerogeri, Merzbow, and branched out from that to more stuff and milder genres like noise rock. For some reason I always end up listening to the harshest stuff first...

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 pm

I invented noise music

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Well... that wraps it up.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Eye grew up immersed in the "Extreme"
"Outlaw" biker gangs
lived ear shot from motocross/stock/drag/crash up track
people around me were obsessed with racing machines speed & pushing it to the extreme
embraced riding in cars with the speedometer needle full throttle
music full blast playing
hear the "SpeedWay" whenever listen to my original korg35 MS20 and other such synths
was always around music/musicians/freaks
experimented tinkering with making/recording sounds as cassette recorders came out for consumers
once saw TV commercial during that's incredible/Ripley's believe it or not
for 1-900(or some pay call thingy) number to call Voyager space probe and listen to the sounds of outer space
it sounded like static... noise... every so often hear synthy sounds
would call and listen for half an hour or more at time
when the phone bill came they didn't "Believe It" Eye called outer space NASA space probe
therefore was brutally beaten for racking up $300+ bill calling "phone sex"
let me tell you it was completely worth it....
by the time was 12 had figured out how to play black sabbath songs on guitar
and fun with ringing sine wave feedback
LOUD
that resulted in my guitar & TV being smashed with hammer and thrown out second story window into the trash
well...
may have stolen all the speakers could find for wiring to guitar amp
wanted out of that sadistic abusive hellhole nightmare anyway
my first real guitar(Gibson Melody Maker) destroyed with hammer & kicked out of house at 12
had already been experimenting for long time with "tape"
my first tape recorder is the MEGO Star Trek Tricorder
we would record ourselves as "static monsters" on tape around 78-80
tuning receiver in between stations
experimenting with cheap ass microphones
screaming and strange rants
maybe you invented "noise music" in your town....
yet it's a big Cosmos
got it new when came out
one side of the tape is blank for "experimenting"
circa 1976
first had "smokeytreats" summer 1977
that was "NORML"
whatever....
sheets of LSD aren't $70 anymore
that's around the time discovered "Noise Music"
seeing it coming out of the speakers in "colour waves"
hearing it blasting deafening loud
when the stereo wasn't even "turned on"
"Noise Music" was total counter social engineered culture "back then"
you searched tape trading lists for finding new obscure sonic treasures
then attempted finding the original vinyl if it wasn't just demo recordings
<<<SPK>>>
that was "Noise"
there really wasn't much that even slightly compared except NON
maybe some Gristle... Neubuaten... Old School Industrial... NWW plus the occasional current 93 track
Genesis(Neil&bob) turned into a "TV" monstrosity(he was already getting absurdly annoying anyways)
post "Infinite Beat"
one episode comes to mind backstage at Cabaret Metro
him strung out on H
wearing a dress
lipstick smeared across his face
acting like total bitch
TwatTwit
(made me say to hell with him & TOPY)
he was obviously out of control and out of his fucking mind
(Boyd never let me down or acted like such a schmuckfuck)
seems like "Noise Scene" has become mostly total "mundane mediocrity anymore
especially when it becomes absorbed into "acceptable" Academia agendas
part of "The System"
another propaganda tool for control
and so much more
perspectives...

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:33 am

“seems like "Noise Scene" has become mostly total "mundane mediocrity anymore
part of "The System"
another propaganda tool for control”

<RANT>

Not that any 'light' can be thrown onto this, or those who “think” “seems like "Noise Scene" has become mostly total "mundane mediocrity anymore
part of "The System"
another propaganda tool for control”

will ever change their minds, or could ever have their minds changed, the 'ideology' is too deep, probably many generations. The whole 'noise' scene developed from and out of academia and its systems. When someone writes “experimental' with regard to the arts that's a tip of the hat to the development in academic institutions of avant-garde musics since the 1920s at least. Unless you think Stockhausen, Cage, Schaeffer et al, grew up on farms in the mid west and were from the get go doing stuff, had worked out there was more than just the USA and Iowa, and such things as the galaxy, cosmos, etc existed. (despite their parents being bible thumping fundamentalists!) Or that Mezbow. John Lennon, Brian Eno... didn't go to art schools where ideologies, what the robots thought as music, were challenged. You might have a point with Jazz, but that DOES require skill, and even here academia both supported it and developed it, but not to the extent of noise. Adorno was opposed to Black music, though he used the N word.

The cosmos is only 'big' if you ignore the pope and the given ideologies... music is only experimental likewise.

I'm not saying one shouldn't challenge the academy – though it might be worth knowing first just what one is. Well one where fictions like Star Trek are challenged! That is State fictions generated to indoctrinate the masses with ideologies mitigating US imperialism in Vietnam and elsewhere. By use of technology as the new religiosity for the gullible. But while we are on Star Trek, Hero, Alpha White Male, who demonstrates than rational logic, (the Academic) is inferior to the 'farm boy' morality and use of emotion, sex, and often violence, but only when a last resort!)...

might be that the reason the noise scene has become mostly total "mundane mediocrity” -is alack of original thought, from where ever...

Enough....

</RANT>

And BTW you are replying (if you do) via a communication system designed by, and created for academics.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:34 am

BTW that wasn't "American" Imperialism
figure it out
City of London
Kabal
Kissenger
Arpanet started by Darpa
it was Unix... logged much time in that system
most likely have far more "experience" on the subject than you
plus seen behind "the curtain"
with my own eyes
so you are saying "Darpa" is "Academia"
you aren't talking to a neophyte
it's even way more complicated
you have become an agent of "The Kabal"
Are you getting paid grant money for posting here???
Last edited by WhiteWarlock on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:13 am

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:34 am
BTW that wasn't "American" Imperialism
figure it out
City of London
Kabal
Kissenger
Arpanet started by Darpa
it was Unix... logged much time in that system
most likely have far more "experience" on the subject than you
plus seen behind "the curtain"
with my own eyes
"whatever....
sheets of LSD aren't $70 anymore"
WhiteWarlock wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:34 am

so you are saying "Darpa" is "Academia"
you aren't talking to a neophyte
it's even way more complicated
you have become an agent of "The Kabal"
Are you getting paid grant money for posting here???
Millions by the CIA - just like Stockhausen was..

:chin:

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 am

Is that an organ grinders monkey on a typewriter???

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:18 am

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:56 pm
I had one of those
WhiteWarlock wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:56 pm
maybe you invented "noise music" in your town....