Noise Guide zine

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

Fletcher

Noise Guide zine

Post by Fletcher » Sun May 06, 2018 3:38 am

Show your interest and discuss content here.

As I am relative forum newbie I don't want to outstretch my welcome, but I am happy to contribute / help coordinate with others if stuff needs doing.

A few points that came to mind;

What should and shouldn't be included
How do we collate / collaborate on content
Should it have an overall theme (with accompanying soundtrack?)
General stylistic approach / format
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

¼ dead

Re: Noise Guide zine

Post by ¼ dead » Sun May 06, 2018 3:53 am

I don't want to outstretch my welcome
I don't see why not, as long as you're being constructive, and not spamming or flooding the place with lazy/inane questions.

At any rate, for such a limited pool of contributors, I think too many limitations would be detrimental, at least regarding content. Some may want to write, some may want to draw, some may want to cover a page in magnetic tape.

I don't suppose many would be keen on the idea, but I really don't mind the idea of using something like a generic folder to place individual artist pages into, or cheap brass fasteners. The benefit of this would be that, if everyone agrees on a paper standard (something with pre-punched spine holes, obviously), we could all manufacture our own pages to be collated by someone we send everything to, and we'd be open to possibly multiple pages and all kinds of additional possibilities (die-cutting, one-off collages, embossing) that wouldn't be feasible otherwise.

I'm fine with making an "issue 0" in this vein, purely as an experiment, before doing anything official/public. I'd offer to collate and ship, but I'm too much of a depressive, lazy, unmotivated person who doesn't want the burden of responsibility. :)

I'm am totally willing to contribute a small amount of money, though (making a zine ought to be affordable--I'm not presuming, I'm insisting). That is, of course, if other people are willing to chip in for a group fund to be sent to some responsible, trustworthy person who doesn't mind the workload. We'd all pay for materials and shipping and other small expenses that add up. I'd really like it if Bob wanted to do it, especially if it's of no cost to him, apart from time and possibly gas, assuming we can calculate the costs and all contributors agree to pay equal percentages on them.

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Sun May 06, 2018 4:16 am

I'm in :D

...and think this -
¼ dead wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:53 am
I don't suppose many would be keen on the idea, but I really don't mind the idea of using something like a generic folder to place individual artist pages into, or cheap brass fasteners. The benefit of this would be that, if everyone agrees on a paper standard (something with pre-punched spine holes, obviously), we could all manufacture our own pages to be collated by someone we send everything to, and we'd be open to possibly multiple pages and all kinds of additional possibilities (die-cutting, one-off collages, embossing) that wouldn't be feasible otherwise.
- Is a top idea :wtg:

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Sun May 06, 2018 5:59 am

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sun May 06, 2018 6:58 am

This totally sounds like some "PURE" fun!
Eye can make hidden super easy web access ftp upload/drop folder
yet isn't it way easier attaching potential content files in this thread???
at this conceptual stage start throwing ideas & strategy "submissions" for consideration

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Sun May 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Upload folder sounds like a great idea.

You could upload direct to here but then it doesn't leave any suprises for people who happen upon this thread ...

A5 is a good format size, cheaper to post and easy to print (duplex a4)
www.snarerush.co.uk

Juboo

Post by Juboo » Sun May 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Fletcher wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:38 am
A few points that came to mind;

What should and shouldn't be included
How do we collate / collaborate on content
Should it have an overall theme (with accompanying soundtrack?)
General stylistic approach / format
something that come to my mind right now is probably compiling some post in here. in my early days in this forum (2016 :mrgreen: ) i remember reading few thread that really do help shape my attitudes and how to do noise. make it a guideline of some sort. this could be the first portion of the content. at least if another newbie coming in and asking the infamous question of 'how i do noise' we could simply give him/her the pdf link of this zine.

with that in mind anyone remember this one particular post. dude started the post with a quick rant about how people keep asking the same shit about 'how to noise' and then he went to give a very long and detailed explanation about how to noise in the thread...... i cannot remember who wrote it.. try searching for it but i cannot find it. some of you OG veteran here might remember it...

as of contribution i'm certainly down with it. though as a newbie myself i probably dont have much to say about it right now but i could pull something out of my ass for this project.
Here is my current idea for the cover.. meh design but at least we have somewhere to start.
Publication4.jpg
Publication4.jpg (124.49 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
insecure PRETENTIOUS FUK that made noise to hide from the fact that he can't play instrument.
https://sarjenpeppersillogicalnoiseclub ... dcamp.com/
https://wanpointtwomilligram.wordpress.com/

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm down for this... should just be folded letter sues paper that is stapled in the fold imo

I like the cover design that juboo made.

I think contributions should be pretty open if at least noise related

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sun May 06, 2018 5:13 pm

how about issue #0
we think 1977-1984
l'estétique
Xerox B&W only copiers with hand printed & typwriter font text blocks
or classique newsprint paper in modern "laser printer"
(that was the cheapest shit paper we could get printjob done with at real printshop)
emulate/duplicate paste up methods
"old school vibe"
frame of mind
we can do it all in photoshop now obviously
create in that traditional total "UNDERGROUND STYLE"
we can even do manual montages if so inclined with ye olde rubber cement
only for the most "highly" adventurous motivated types not afraid of a getting sticky
or high from glue
then use digicam for capturing "scanned" image
way fucking easier than me converting a flatbed into backlit negative scanner
been there done that
if we can get 10 of us together creating multiple pages each
that's a zine
everyone who works on zine also makes tracks for tape
that is packaged together
otherwise we "headhunt" people from personal contacts
for interviews & comp "submission" tracks
"RINGERS"
it can even be some type of "box"
obviously limited edition
aim for getting the real feel from "zine" project
not demanding gear used on tracks be from the 80s
yet it would be very intriguing
because that's total conceptual limiting of palette attempt manifesting specific output
let's see what happens
RE/Search
nostalgia look is "hook"
that's my initial input plus some perspective
for this "Art Project"

Juboo

Post by Juboo » Sun May 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Juboo wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:46 pm
with that in mind anyone remember this one particular post. dude started the post with a quick rant about how people keep asking the same shit about 'how to noise' and then he went to give a very long and detailed explanation about how to noise in the thread...... i cannot remember who wrote it.. try searching for it but i cannot find it. some of you OG veteran here might remember it...
finally, fuckin found it. here: Beginners guide to making noise/experimental, viewtopic.php?t=724#p4724
this is one fine post man. i love this shit. :eek:
insecure PRETENTIOUS FUK that made noise to hide from the fact that he can't play instrument.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Sun May 06, 2018 10:53 pm

Yes, top beginners post that. Will read the whole thread later at some point, as long as it doesn't descend into shit slinging....
www.snarerush.co.uk

jliat

Post by jliat » Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 am

Fletcher wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:53 pm
Yes, top beginners post that. Will read the whole thread later at some point, as long as it doesn't descend into shit slinging....
Just in case you are not aware A5 or any A sizes are not used generally in the USA as far as i'm aware... so you might like to arrange a standard format... based i guess on where its printed....

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 am

Juboo wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:04 pm

finally, fuckin found it. here: Beginners guide to making noise/experimental, viewtopic.php?t=724#p4724
this is one fine post man. i love this shit. :eek:
"Pedal based noise is quite possibly the single most expensive type of music you'll ever make, as well as your worst financial move ever. "

I guess he wasn't familiar with Eurorack back in 2006? :lol:

Juboo

Post by Juboo » Mon May 07, 2018 5:27 am

xdugef wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 am
I guess he wasn't familiar with Eurorack back in 2006? :lol:
idk man. it took me months to find a stupid 3pdt switch in my area. from where i stand right now it is only through dream that i could touch an eurorack. no putting pee-pee into an eurorack majestic jack hole for this guy :wall: