My name is Oliver Tex and I make noise

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

melkobukva

Re: My name is Oliver Tex and I make noise

Post by melkobukva » Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 am

jliat wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 am
Walls of text are difficult to read. A true lit critter! :roll: take care...
:fencing:

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 am

melkobukva wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 am
So you bring up Nigel Fabb whom I never quoted (or even read) to prove that Hogan is an incompetent douchebag.

And Fabb is supposed to be a douchebag, because avantgarde poetry does not conform with his definition of poetry.
No I visited the site which you gave a link. There I found that and other stuff... Hogan included who seem unaware of certain literature and art.. and another no - duuchebag is your term for 'parasitic' academics - not mine.
melkobukva wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 am
Despite the fact that he explicitly states:
Definitions and categorizations have many functions, and which definition one uses depends on context and goals. In this book, I distinguish between what I call ‘poetry’ and what I call ‘prose’ on the basis of purely formal features, and in part because I suggest the distinction is psychologically realistic. I propose that the non-linguistic sections into which poems are divided are held as whole sequences of words in working memory. This need not be true of the linguistic sections into which prose is divided. The terms ‘poetry’ and ‘prose’ here need not sort texts in the same way as under other possible definitions.
and
Its goal is to differentiate most poetry from most prose, but it has some blurred boundaries: for example it does not fit prose poems, and it holds at a small scale – ordinary prose can be divided into paragraphs, chapters etc. which are larger sections not determined by syntactic or prosodic structure. So it is intended as a useful but not strict (or universal) definition
So you diss Fabb by misrepresenting him. And you diss Hogan by association.

Absolutely brilliant work, good sir!

I "diss" them because they seem - as do you - unaware of conceptual poetry. Oh and Fabb is just WRONG. The fact you never read him is telling as he is on the site you linked... and the other Duchamp guy... and I think the whole nonsense is Hogan's ? thing.

I could go on to explain that blurring is not the point. But hey what of Duchamp and the Morning Star... and your noise input?

So you were a lit crit student of Hogan. Second ask.

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Sat May 26, 2018 10:23 am

jliat wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 am
No, and no ties to the University of Connecticut or any English Department at all. Why does this even matter.
I'm just a random asshole from the internet :)
jliat wrote:
The fact you never read him is telling as he is on the site you linked...
I read nothing at all on this site aside from one page I linked. Not before you dug up Fabb's article and brought it here to prove that Hogan is a douchebag-by-association.

So, what exactly is this telling, as you put it?

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat May 26, 2018 10:45 am

melkobukva wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:23 am
jliat wrote:
No, and no ties to the University of Connecticut or any English Department at all. Why does this even matter.
jliat wrote:
The fact you never read him is telling as he is on the site you linked...
I read nothing at all on this site aside from one page I linked. Not before you dug up Fabb's article and brought it here to prove that Hogan is a douchebag-by-association.

I think your post above tells it all.

(of course you are not really some ' random asshole from the internet ' but its a good- well no not so gooid- way of throwing stones without comeback.)

And to a random asshole from the internet how do things matter... just another troll then?

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Sat May 26, 2018 11:28 am

jliat wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:45 am
melkobukva wrote:
I think your post above tells it all.
Why are you dodging the question? I answered yours.

Ah... whatever. You don't want to answer, then don't. Doesn't matter.
jliat wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:45 am
And to a random asshole from the internet how do things matter... just another troll then?
I really hope this is not a 'who do you think you are' remark.

I'm interested in things, so they matter. Didn't know I needed a diploma or something like that to post here. You should have asked earlier and saved yourself the trouble of reading my posts then.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat May 26, 2018 11:49 pm

melkobukva wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:28 am
Why are you dodging the question? I answered yours.

Ah... whatever. You don't want to answer, then don't. Doesn't matter.
As far as i'm aware i answered your question re who says what is noise. Critics, and those making noise engaged in the activity, which at times throws up disagreements and new approaches.

Look at the no input mixer thread here as a simple example.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 am

melkobukva wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:28 am

I really hope this is not a 'who do you think you are' remark.
You've already made great claims for yourself - who do you think you are- in a position to say "your whole response is incredibly intellectually lazy. - "

That's kinda judgemental.

And to now say you only read one page on Hogan but then say

"e.g. the objective components that influence the social of definition of genre are logically vague (Pablo Cobreros is a good source on that)
I'm influenced by Patrick Colm Hogan's work on literary universals"

So I think - you think you are able to pass judgement on what is intellectually lazy and come up with fairly intellectual ideas... playing 'i'm a nobody' when challenged on them is just a get off the hook excuse.

"I'm just a random asshole from the internet" who remains anonymous who has constructed a fairly complex theory of critical analysis. Not that random then...

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Sun May 27, 2018 3:16 am

jliat wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 am
And to now say you only read one page on Hogan but then say
I've read several books.

But I wanted to spare you the trouble of buying one or getting it at the library. So I looked up a concise overview in open access and linked to it.

I was trying to be nice and make things more convenient for you, and you are trying to turn this against me.

Is this telling?
jliat wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 am
come up with fairly intellectual ideas... playing 'i'm a nobody' when challenged on them is just a get off the hook excuse
I said it not when challenged on fairly intellectual ideas, but when repeatedly demanded to disclose personal data.
melkobukva wrote:
jliat wrote:
Now, when you said you were a nobody...
jliat wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 am

Farewell to Jazz
T. Adorno, 1933.
The regulation that forbids the radio from broadcasting "Negro jazz" may have
created a new legal situation; but artistically it has only confirmed by its drastic
verdict what was long ago decided in fact: the end of jazz music itself. For no matter
what one wishes to understand by white or by Negro jazz, here there is nothing to
salvage.
There is much more -but i'm away from home and i'm a nobody...
Was it a get off the hook excuse?

When I say I'm a nobody, it's actually the reverse of excuse. Either my posts stand on their own merit, or they don't. No appeal to external authority. No diplomas. No "universities of repute" to back me up. This good old do you know who the fuck I am rhetoric simply doesn't work on the Internet. Nobody gives a damn.

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 am

This is not going in a good direction and benefits nobody. I will shut up now.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun May 27, 2018 4:35 am

OK then do universals in literature just trace these across literature, or do they also help identify genres?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 am

melkobukva wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 am
This is not going in a good direction and benefits nobody. I will shut up now.
That never stopped any argument on the innerwebs

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 am

And to think my only criticism of the OP was the notion that the material was actually weird or not.

Hey maybe you guy's could debate what qualifies as "weird" or better yet what qualifies as "shit"?

Anyway.. my 2 cents is that "noise" is just a vague word. I'd argue that you are intentionally making "noise" then it's not actually noise as noise is something undesired. Maybe TRVE noise is impossible since there's always some idiot who likes it or likes the idea of it... y'know the whole observer changes the experiment thing.. quantum mechanics bro!
2000453ab2303a84d305c6d7cd31302f--jesse-pinkman-aaron-paul[1].jpg
2000453ab2303a84d305c6d7cd31302f--jesse-pinkman-aaron-paul[1].jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 241 times

jliat

Post by jliat » Mon May 28, 2018 9:06 am

I don't think the QM thing is quite the same. In QM the observation physically changes the thing observed, in someone liking a noise that others don't, doesn't change physically the noise.

A simple test would be to play a noise CD and see if it changes when listened to or not.

But you can use science, SNR and information theory describes noise, as do engineers in circuit design. It's not that noise is unwanted in itself, its that it destroys the wanted signal. IMO of course.